husband needs advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• husband needs advice

I am Loris husband and i am looking for some advice on what she will need when she comes home. What are some things that i can do to make her more comfortable and help keep her spirits up during this long process. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Diagnosed @ at of 11
    Muscle Stimulator for 1 year
    Milwaukee Brace from 1982-1987 47* (center curve)
    (was told would never get worse)
    Surgery November 11, 2009
    Fused T6-T12
    Pre Op 25* - 54* - 40*
    Post Op 24* - 33* - 21*

According to my husband:
    If she is going to be home alone, pre-portion and make small meals for her, simple things like pouring milk into a smaller container so she doesn't have to lift it.
    He also says to pre-portion out her pills if you can, into little cups. That way she can grab them when she is in a lot of pain and doesn't have the strength to stay up long.
    Books, a laptop, or anything to keep her hands or mind busy helps as well.
    Comfy clothes are a big thing...I don't know how low or high her fusion is going to go, but both bras, underwear, and pants bothered me a LOT. Loose clothes are fantastic.
    Hope that helps!
    25 years old
    double 70+ degree curves before surgery
    Anterior on 11/11/08
    Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
    nearly perfect correction
    fused t-10 to pelvis
    with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
    Broke left rod on 10/24/09
    Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
    Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
    Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

I was going to ask the PT person at the hospital for a scrip for a grabber and a raised toilet seat so my insurance might cover it, but I was too out of it. My husband picked up a raised toilet seat (which I still love!) and found a toy grabber in my kid's closet (cheaper than the one's in the drug store).

My hubby also brought me some food at the hospital...I was barely hungry, but the food was horrible. He stocked some yogurt for me so the nurses could get it for me. I was not very hungry at home for a long time. Little snacks instead of three big meals were more palatable for me.

Don't forget to bring lots of pillows in the car for the ride home.

Keep her hydrated and eating fruit to offset the constipation from the meds. Lots of pillows in bed and a heating pad. After a week of no bathing, my hubby washed my hair as I lay on the bed on my back with my head hanging over the side!

I didn't feel much like doing anything, even reading...the pain meds make your brain kinda mushy. TV and DVDs helped.
      Kathy, 43
      Diagnosed as a teen
      Boston brace 2 years
      63 degree lumbar curve
      Surgery August 26, 2009
      Anterior approach fused T12-L4
      now 28 degrees

Comment

Hi Husband of Lois,

First of all she will be so proud when she sees this!!!

Make sure she's comfortable with pillows or furniture as often as you can.

If she likes to have her feet rubbed, rub them, it was magic for me. Very relaxing!!!

Make sure she is sleeping well, it's very important because we do most of our healing during sleep.

I wish my husband would have cared enough to get on here and ask this question. I'm slightly jealous.

Hopefully you'll be back with more questions, and your name.

What a blessed woman she is, and I hope she knows it.

All my best to the both of you,
        Shari

Comment

Hi Husband...

Good for your for being proactive! I think this might be of some help:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I see why she is out here all the time reading the post. Everyone is so helpful. I just want to help make her the most comfortable that I can. I do have another question. How long before she can go upstairs? Am I better to set her up a bed downstairs for the first few weeks?
            thanks
            scott
            Diagnosed @ at of 11
            Muscle Stimulator for 1 year
            Milwaukee Brace from 1982-1987 47* (center curve)
            (was told would never get worse)
            Surgery November 11, 2009
            Fused T6-T12
            Pre Op 25* - 54* - 40*
            Post Op 24* - 33* - 21*

Comment

A bed downstairs may be a very good idea for a couple of weeks or until she builds up her strength.

I just wanted to say how nice it is to hear from a caring husband. I too was lucky with my partner. He'll never know how much it helped towards my recovery, not having to worry about anything and knowing how much he cared by the efforts he made. These days, he gets spoiled that little bit more!
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I avoided long stairs for about a week. AFter that, I went up/down the big stairs only once per day.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Watch TV with her in bed. Don't let her get lonely. Give her a bell or phone so she can call if she needs you. Help her when she needs to get up out of bed. Upstairs or downstairs will depend on how you feel about going up and down to help Lori.

Comment

I had A/P surgery at age 42 and was doing stairs within about 10 days. I had several flights at home. I just took them slowly.
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by loris View Post
                      Thank you all for the great suggestions. I see why she is out here all the time reading the post. Everyone is so helpful. I just want to help make her the most comfortable that I can. I do have another question. How long before she can go upstairs? Am I better to set her up a bed downstairs for the first few weeks?
                      thanks
                      scott
                      We kept our dd's bed downstairs for the first month. The only time she was upstairs was for a shower. She would normally be up and down stairs several times a day. So we moved bed, clothing for the day, toiletries for the downstairs bathroom, etc. downstairs to make things easier for her initially.

After her 1 month check up, we moved her back upstairs.

I would suggest that you let PT know that you have a home with stairs and have them show both you and her how to take the stairs. It won't take very long.

You are a great guy!

Comment

Working...
                      X