Surgery in 3 Months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery in 3 Months

Well, I went and had my 2nd appointment with Dr Angus Gray last week. He is such an awesome surgeon and I am extremely pleased with the consultation, well sort of anyway. After reviewing all of my x-rays, MRI's he changed his mind about a selective anterior lumbar fusion and he now recommends a much longer posterior fusion from around T2-L4! Unfortunately, my disk at L4 is bad so he has to include it. So I will have only two free disks.

I am somewhat concerned about this longer fusion, but the Dr explained it isn't that bad. I am thinking hard about it and am warming to the decision as the upper curve and lower are both structural and I may as well get both fixed.

My surgery date is Jan 25th 2010.

The surgeon told me I will most likely face this operation in the future and getting it now will result in better correction and quicker bounce back. Still, such a long fusion, puts the fear into me. This really is one of the hardest decision of one's life.

I am really impressed with Dr Gray though and if anyone was going to do this operation on me I would happily to choose him.
    45L/40T
    Surgery 25/1/2010
    Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Hi Jimbo,

Since you now have a surgery date with Dr. Gray and your still understandably concerned with the long fusion, ask Dr Gray if he can put you in touch with a previous patient, that has had the same or near the same levels fused at maybe say 12 months post-op, so that you can have a chat about what to expect. My surgeon did this for me and i was most grateful that he did - answered a lot of questions and put to rest a lot of fears.
    Good Luck.
    PS Looks like no BBQ for you on Australia Day!
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Hi Jimbo. Glad you have found a surgeon you feel comfortable with. Good advice there from Vali. Speaking to someone with the same length fusion should put your mind at rest. Give you a chance to ask a whole lot of other questions too, at the same time. My surgeon did the same for me.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Jimbo,

There is nothing more important than feeling extremely comfortable with your surgeon!!!

I am fused from T-1 to L-5, if you have any questions.

Just ask,
        Shari

Comment

Hi Jimbo,

I'm glad you've got a date. I know about having the feat of God put into you with this decision. For me too, it was the hardest decision of my life. You are young though, and your Dr. is right that he will probably get a better correction and you'll recover quickly.

I'm fused T3 to L3 and honestly, not bothered at all at this point with restrictions on mobility.

Good luck, and of course, ask anything you want.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Jimbo,
            I'm glad you finally have a date for surgery. The decision to go ahead with the surgery and the waiting is very hard, but January 25th will be here before you know it. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
            Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Jimbo,
              I am glad you like Dr Angus Gray, as do I I have had one appointment with him and am going back for my second later this month after having MRI scans this Wednesday.
              I wish you all the best for your surgery. I am now really nervous about my second appointment as I will probably find out my surgery date. I would assume I would only be a few weeks after you unless it might clash with the start of a new school year too much. I am definitely with you when you say it is a hard decision, but I was told as my curves are both already so large, having surgery now would save increasingly worse pain in the future.
              I will try my best to follow your posts as it is comforting to know you see Dr Angus Gray as well. I found he was a really nice and caring man, and I am grateful I was referred to him. I definitely couldn’t ask for a better Doctor
              Last edited by ShortEb; 11-01-2009, 01:50 AM. Reason: errors made
              10/09/09 - Diagnosed with Double Curved Scoliosis
              Curves degrees day before surgery (13th of May):
              T4-T10 = 89 degrees
              & T11-L4 = 75 degrees
              Surgery successful on the 14th of May, 2010
              Curves after surgery measured:
              T4-T10 = 34 degrees
              & T11-L4 = 25 degrees - Now 30 degrees as of 2012

Sydney, Australia
              http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x...09-09_1456.jpg
              ^ Picture of my curves before surgery

Comment

Thankyou for your comforting words and good advice. Dr Gray did give me couple of numbers of his previous patients, I will call them very soon.

I suppose my greatest fear of this surgery is that i will be walking around like a robot but my Dr told me that will not be the case.

I think I know what to expect, I have been following all of your journeys closely for a couple of years now, but I still have my doubts. I know though that I will not back out of this operation, so I may aswell just keep focused on other things untill the surgery, just as my surgeon told me to do

Keep well folks!

ShortEb - It makes me feel more at ease knowing other people here are seeing Dr Gray, and I will keep you informed with my recovery
                45L/40T
                Surgery 25/1/2010
                Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Hi Jimbo, I'm fused T1-L4 and honestly don't feel as though I have any restrictions on my mobility I am very active, more so than many of my friends who don't have scoliosis. I climb mountains and cycle for miles! One of my favourite hobbies is geocaching, which means I regularly have to scramble under fences and over gates and up trees to find a cache. I have no problems with this

Comment

Jimbo

Well you finally have a date! I'm glad you are comfortable with your surgeon.

I made my decision on 10/30/07 and my surgery dates were 01/29/08 and 01/31/08 That's pretty close! Almost 2 years behind me.

Good on the posterior only. Probably a wise decision.I'm sure you know about complications in males with anterior surgeries. That's probably why he changed his mind.

I wouldn't worry about the robot thing. Dr Gray is right, its not an issue. You wouldn't be able to tell I'm fused. I get around just fine.
                    Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Dr Gray also gave me previous numbers from two girls around my age. I haven't contacted them yet, I think I am going to wait till I have a set surgery date.
                      It definitely is much more comforting knowing someone else here on the forums is seeing Dr Gray. I felt amazed to finally find someone seeing him
                      Hope to hear more as your surgery gets closer and definitely keep posting!
                      10/09/09 - Diagnosed with Double Curved Scoliosis
                      Curves degrees day before surgery (13th of May):
                      T4-T10 = 89 degrees
                      & T11-L4 = 75 degrees
                      Surgery successful on the 14th of May, 2010
                      Curves after surgery measured:
                      T4-T10 = 34 degrees
                      & T11-L4 = 25 degrees - Now 30 degrees as of 2012

Sydney, Australia
                      http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x...09-09_1456.jpg
                      ^ Picture of my curves before surgery

Comment