costoplasty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• costoplasty

exactly what is costoplasty and how does it reduce rib humps?

It's actually thoracoplasty. Simply put, it's the cutting of small sections of some of your ribs.

The rib hump is caused by the rotation of your spine that often accompanies scoliosis. Your ribs attach to your spine in the thoracic (mid back) area. If the thoracic spine is rotated, so are your ribs, which will protrude outward and cause a hump.

Straightening the spine surgically can reduce the side-to-side curvature and the rotation, but rotated ribs are often structurally deformed, and straightening the spine won't correct that. So, the surgeon can cut away portions of the most deformed ribs. Amazingly, your ribs will grow back, and when they do they will grow straight and normal.

Thoracoplasty will not reduce the hump 100%, but drastic improvements are possible.

Comment

Hi Dave...

In the UK, they call it costoplasty. :-)

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Dave and Linda,

Can the doctor still do throcoplasty on older patients? I'm 57 and the doctor said he won't do thorocoplasty on me. Is he right?

Letty

Comment

Hi Letty...

I'm not certain, but if it's important to you, I'd encourage you to get another opinion. I've found that surgeons who don't routinely perform thoracoplasties, tend to shy away from doing them.

Who is your surgeon?

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Linda,

Dr. Weistroffer from Minnesota who is now stationed in San Diego at the Naval Medical Center. I will be looking into a second opinion. Thanks for your reply.

Letty

Comment

Hi Letty...

If your insurance allows you might want to see Behrooz Akbarnia or Susan Swank. Both have good training.

Regards,
              Linda

Comment

Working...
              X