Willow - Day 21 - returns to school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willow - Day 21 - returns to school

She attended three of her four classes. She came home instead of attending Art at the end of the day in order to finish preparing for the Geometry midterm tomorrow and to rest the injury.

She has been lucky in her recovery except for the injury.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

I really hope the injury is just to muscle or tissue. I think it's encouraging that it feels okay when she's sitting or resting.

If I had a nickel for every time I thought I'd done irreperable damange to my fusion during the first few months post-op, I'd be a millionaire!!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thanks for mentioning that, Chris.

I guess it is very easy to fret after going through that.

We'll know on Thursday morning if there is any damage.

She only took one hit of Tylenol today as far as I know so that's good.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I am glad that she was able to go back to school for a few hours. I hope that Lauren will do as well or for that matter at least half as well as Willow.

I hope that her injury is nothing serious.

Comment

No huggy huggy today, ok?

Sharon

Now that I think about it, I had a female friend come over here around the 2 month mark, and she insisted on hugging me and I was beat. I told her, no huggy huggy. It hurts. It hurts everywhere. (She is a huggy huggy type, you know) LOL

She had a little trouble understanding this so I showed her the video with Dr Boachie in Africa. The scene where Jumas mom comes and hugs him really shows how delicate we are after surgery. She had no idea what happened with my surgery and after viewing that video, was speechless when she left my house. (That video has some very graphic scenes)

As a patient, it takes a while to accept the change, and feel out what it is that you can get away with. The little bumps,knocks and hugs can really trigger new pains. They can come from anywhere.

As a non patient, if you don't know exactly what has happened to us in surgery, and the most significant outstanding medical event that has ever happened to you is maybe having a tooth pulled, you might want to "brush up" and watch more discovery medical videos from now on.

The thing is, most don't have a clue and it might be best for Willow to show a picture of her x-ray or maybe a graphic scoliosis surgical picture. Once they see that, they have an understanding of how really delicate we are after our surgeries. 14 year olds just don't know.
          Id be telling all the boys to stay 10 feet away, forever. LOL

More than likely, Willow is fine. If she had a fall or a crash, I would be concerned. After all, we need a little time for the "glue to harden".

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Good for Willow! I'm so glad she was able to go back. Hopefully within a few days the hug-related injury will be totally better. I go along with Ed's advice--no huggy-huggy for quite some time.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Momof2girls - Thanks.

Ti Ed - I think you are correct (as always). On Monday, I enlisted by other daughter in a huge word-of-mouth, texting, and computer effort to get the word out to their friends to not hug Willow. People were asked to pass it on. When Willow returned on Tuesday people knew the drill so I guess it worked.

Debbe - She is better today and wasn't even going to take Tylenol. I asked her to do so in case someone bumps her. She has two midterms today and will stay the whole day.

I think she is going to be okay. Light at the end of the tunnel.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Okay she is back from her second day, took her midterms, and is actually chipper.

I'm going to keep the appointment tomorrow just to make sure her injury is resolving but also in the hope that we won't have to come back for the 6-week appointment. This appointment tomorrow is very early because he had to slip us in under short notice. Willow can do the appointment and get back for her last three classes and only miss her first class. The 6-week appointment would require her missing the entire day.

Small mercies.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                  Okay she is back from her second day, took her midterms, and is actually chipper.
                  That's great, Sharon. All I could think of when I read this is that if Willow is "chipper" on any given day, then she has a better disposition than most teenage girls (including those who have NOT just had surgery!) - I don't think my daughter has ever been in a mood that I would describe that way in 18 years - LOL!
                  mariaf305@yahoo.com
                  Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                  Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf View Post
                    That's great, Sharon. All I could think of when I read this is that if Willow is "chipper" on any given day, then she has a better disposition than most teenage girls (including those who have NOT just had surgery!) - I don't think my daughter has ever been in a mood that I would describe that way in 18 years - LOL!
                    Yes I know what you mean! Nobody has ever described me as chipper and I doubt it will ever happen. Willow is just friendly and avuncular. Her sister is more sardonic I would say. I'm just glad they are so different.

We are back from the consult. The radiograph shows no damage from the injury or alteration to the hardware. He showed her the before and after shots and it was really amazing to see. She went from ~57* to in his words "straight." It certainly looked that way to my eye.

I think it was a muscle pull or something. She is off Tylenol and is getting better and better so I'm off the ledge with the injury.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Great news, Sharon. I'm sure you're so relieved, even though things were beginning to look significantly better before the consult. Onward and upward--no doubt it will be smooth from here on in.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Glad to hear Willow is OK. Wow - 21 days and back in school. I'm going to have my daughter read through your posts of Willows progress. It's so encouraging.
                        Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
                        Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
                        Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

I'm really happy for you - and Willow of course! What great news that she's back in school so soon after the surgery and was not seriously injured. You must be so relieved to be able to just have the "usual" worries about her recovery and not anything major.

All the best,
                          Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                          Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                          Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Short forst week back

Willow had a short week. She did go on Tuesday and Wednesday and took all her midterms (and did well!) but she was tired after waking up so early to see the surgeon on Thursday and wanted to go home and sleep afterward. It was a light day because it was after midterms and school is off today. She would have gone today if there was school as she is able.

So she only attended two days this week. I just wanted to be accurate.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

This ~3-week consult replaces the 6-week visit (YAY!) and the next one will be at 6 months.

I think the injury threw her off his normal schedule which, going by the other kid, was:

6-weeks
                              8 months (to be told to come off physical restrictions)
                              20 months (1 year after the 8 month visit)

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X