PDA

View Full Version : Willow - Day 16 - off all meds

Pooka1
10-22-2009, 07:15 AM
She stopped taking the Tylenol yesterday not because she is completely comfortable now but because it doesn't help the general achy-ness she has as her body readjusts. I don't really know what she means by that. She has no more pain per se that is relieved by Tylenol though.

Her balance is still a work in progress. Her body is still changing... the lower compensatory curve is straightening and her brain is trying to keep up with the readjustments. She still occasionally trips and I stand in front of her on down escalators just in case.

CAmomof2
10-22-2009, 07:23 AM
Day 16 and off all meds - wow ... that is fantastic!!!!!

mariaf
10-22-2009, 07:48 AM
That IS fantastic news, Sharon!!!

As for her statement about the meds not helping her general achy-ness, I think I actually know what she means. After my two c-sections, I took meds for a few days (it's been over ten years so I can't recall precisely how long), but then after that, the only aches I had was when I moved a certain way or did too much - and that wasn't the kind of thing the meds would have helped anyway, so I stopped taking them as well at that point.

Hope that makes sense :)

She's doing great - YAY!!!

titaniumed
10-22-2009, 04:54 PM
This is great great news. The Tylenol after opiates just doesn't cut it. Its like going from shots of whiskey to shots of beer. Why bother?

The body is amazing in how it has to compensate after being hit by a freight train and being poisoned with chemicals. It will take a while to filter things out. Probably about a month.

Willow will notice improvements quickly from now on. The jabs and the stabs will diminish in time.

Sleeping is a good thing at her stage.

Drums on drugs? Not a good combination...... LOL
Ed

JenniferG
10-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Yes, I agree, being off all meds, she'll surge ahead, though that's what she's been doing since day 1, isn't it? :)

I felt that achiness too at that early stage, I feel it was the rough handling that was required before/during/after the surgery and of course, the long hours lying on your face with your arms in that certain position. It wears off!

mamandcrm
10-22-2009, 06:33 PM
What good news for you--it sounds like she is recovering remarkably--tough kid!

titaniumtough
10-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Fantastic news Sharon!! :D

Hope this continues!

I still have a problem with balance on escalators. lol I am over a year and 1/2 post op! lol But I am not exactly balanced. Anyway, hope her recovery still goes smoothly! :D

Snoopy
10-23-2009, 06:54 AM
Great news Sharon!

Mary Lou

pmsmom
10-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Congratulations to you both!

debbei
10-25-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm so happy to hear the update Sharon! It really amazes me how in teenagers, the compensatory curve can 'fix itself.' I am in awe.

What is the current plan for Willow going back to school?

Pooka1
10-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Hey Debbe,

The plan was that she would return to school full time on Monday which is Day 20. She was in no real pain and was catching up with her work.

At the homecoming dance last night, a friend hugged her and pulled her forward, resulting in pain just below the fusion. It bent her forward about that point. I think either the disc or the vertebrae or both were injured. She is back on Tylenol and is uncomfortable with doing stairs. She is able to sit comfortably and do work for hours, though.

As for school work, she has midterms. She has some work to finish.

The new plan is to stay home Monday and complete the work. That probably would have happened had she not been injured.

She will go back on Tuesday, take the midterms, and stay in school as far as we can tell at this point. Sucks that she will be on pain killers and still in pain for the midterms. :(

I have emailed the surgeon to ask him what we can expect. I hope this heals quickly. Poor kid.

debbei
10-25-2009, 08:45 PM
Oh Sharon, the poor baby! I swear, hugs should be outlawed for a year post op. I'm STILL warning people when they go in for the hug---'easy on the hug, remember the back'! I hope it's nothing and she feels better shortly.

Pooka1
10-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks, Debbe.

I have been crying and actually nauseous over the incident, two non-productive reactions but I can't help it. The poor kid was doing so well and working so hard.

I really hope this resolves soon.

I'm sure I'll feel better after talking to the surgeon tomorrow. I wish it was tomorrow already.

sharon

mariaf
10-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Ugh, Sharon - I'm so sorry to hear about this incident. I think you will feel better after you speak to her surgeon though. Please let us know what he says - and hang in there - you've been through a lot and will get through this as well!

laurieg6
10-26-2009, 01:12 AM
Wow, Sharon, I'm so sorry that Willow was injured by a hug. That's totally rotten and I hope she recovers very quickly. I also want to say that I know how you feel and that I can imagine crying over a setback too. But you are so strong and such a survivor!

I want to wish you all the best of news from the surgeon tomorrow.

WNCmom
10-26-2009, 08:12 AM
So sorry to hear about the hug damage, Sharon. Just want you to know I'm thinking of Willow and you. Hope your news is good today. Please let us know.

Mary Ellen

Pooka1
10-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Maria, Laurie, and Mary Ellen,

Thanks for your posts.

The surgeon just got back to me. I had emailed what happened, the pain levels, where exactly she hurts, and what she has trouble with post-injury but not pre-injury.

He said he is confident she did not rupture a disc or fracture a vertebrae, two things I threw out there in my bunny state of not knowing what the heck I'm talking about. :eek:

He wants to see her early Thursday morning for a radiograph to check that the rods/screws are okay.

That was good to hear as her pain is clearly all below the end of the fusion so I think there is not going to be any problem with a screw pulling out or something but again, what the heck do I know??? :eek: :)

She has been working diligently on schoolwork today and seems to do the stairs okay albeit more slowly than usual. She is not dependent on Tylenol and only takes is sporadically. I think it is getting better slowly but surely. She is still going to try to take the midterms this week.

Someone shoot me now. :o

debbei
10-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Maria, Laurie, and Mary Ellen,

Thanks for your posts.

The surgeon just got back to me. I had emailed what happened, the pain levels, where exactly she hurts, and what she has trouble with post-injury but not pre-injury.

He said he is confident she did not rupture a disc or fracture a vertebrae, two things I threw out there in my bunny state of not knowing what the heck I'm talking about. :eek:

He wants to see her early Thursday morning for a radiograph to check that the rods/screws are okay.

That was good to hear as her pain is clearly all below the end of the fusion so I think there is not going to be any problem with a screw pulling out or something but again, what the heck do I know??? :eek: :)

She has been working diligently on schoolwork today and seems to do the stairs okay albeit more slowly than usual. She is not dependent on Tylenol and only takes is sporadically. I think it is getting better slowly but surely. She is still going to try to take the midterms this week.

Someone shoot me now. :o

Hey Sharon,

I'm certainly not going to shoot you. How many times did I get all excited and think the worst? I would be the pot calling the kettle black. I guess for some of us, it's human nature. Especially when you're worried about your kid and Mother Guilt factors in.

I hope it all turns out to be nothing. Hopefully, considering she's just using tylenol for the pain, it will subside quickly.

WNCmom
10-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Great news, Sharon. I bet whatever it is will resolve soon.

Mary Ellen

Pooka1
10-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Hey Sharon,

I'm certainly not going to shoot you. How many times did I get all excited and think the worst? I would be the pot calling the kettle black. I guess for some of us, it's human nature. Especially when you're worried about your kid and Mother Guilt factors in.

I hope it all turns out to be nothing. Hopefully, considering she's just using tylenol for the pain, it will subside quickly.

Good point, Debbe!

She actually came downstairs and went outside with her sister to photograph some sort of turkey vulture. I think they are trying to feed it some ham. :)

I have hope and withdraw my previous request. :o

Pooka1
10-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Great news, Sharon. I bet whatever it is will resolve soon.

Mary Ellen

Thanks, Mary Ellen,

Now that I know the surgeon doesn't think it is a serious disc or verterbra injury, I'm less worried.

It's a long road and Willow is only at the very beginning. In fact that injury could happen at any time, not just in this immediate post-surgical period. She just has to develop some core strength or lose the hugging friends or something. I don't think that last disc is going to take endless torquing the rest of her life.:eek:

mariaf
10-26-2009, 05:02 PM
I have hope and withdraw my previous request. :o

Consider it withdrawn :)

I'm optimistic for you that this will be resolved soon - it (thankfully) doesn't sound like the surgeon thinks any damage was done. I'm sure you'll feel a whole lot better after she sees him on Thursday!

Pooka1
10-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Hey thanks for letting me withdraw that!

I probably should withdraw some large percentage of what I wrote but I can't think about that now. :)

Strange thing... after the turkey vulture sighting earlier, a small hawk flew into our large sliding glass door. My daughters brought it in and made it comfortable and may have tried to feed it ham(!) until it regained its wits and was able to fly off.

I'm beginning to suspect I'm in a remake of "The Birds." :eek:

ddb
10-27-2009, 08:35 AM
Sharon - I'm sorry to hear Willow has had this happen. I've followed along your journey with Willow and it has been so much of a help to me. I know I have thanked you in the past for sharing, and I'm thanking you again. I hope this too will past as fast as Willow has progressed in the past.

Dee