PDA

View Full Version : Less invasive new surgery

SIsForSarah
10-12-2009, 08:06 PM
http://www.canada.com/health/spinal+surgery+patients+walking+within/2086285/story.html

I'm not sure how long this link will be active, but hopefully some will be able to check it out. Advances in medecine are so incredible. I'm a little jealous of those who get this procedure instead of the one I went through nearly 20 years ago:)

rich1752
10-12-2009, 08:14 PM
I need disc repaired along with rod and screws, I wonder if there is an easier way to fix them and then do this new procedure??,, that would be GREAT!

JenniferG
10-13-2009, 01:23 AM
How fantastic, that advances are continuing to be made in scoliosis surgery, as they have done for many years. How jealous I am of those in years to come who can avail themselves of those advances!

But I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig.

Jimbo
10-13-2009, 04:45 AM
Only for thoracic spine though. Still very great to watch the advances.

rich1752
10-13-2009, 12:47 PM
I emailed Dr. Anand about the new surgery procedure, but I need Lumbar Surgery, Jimbo, is this something that can't be done with the new surgery?

jrnyc
10-13-2009, 01:52 PM
i also e mail-ed dr anand...& need lumbar surgery as well...i await a reply from his office...though i fear his surgery wont work for fusion that is needed to pelvis...but maybe i will be pleasantly surprised...also, i asked if his scoli surgery is only experimental

jess

rich1752
10-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Jess, if he gets back to you before he responds to me let me know about the lumbar surgery. I"m curious about lumbar and fixing disc before doing the rods..thanks..

rich

shortlilnikki
10-22-2009, 01:51 AM
Jess, if he gets back to you before he responds to me let me know about the lumbar surgery. I"m curious about lumbar and fixing disc before doing the rods..thanks..

rich

Hey! My Dr went in through my left side and next to my belly buttom to remove my lumbar discs, and put in a cage. much less invasive. then 3 days later did the full posterior T2-S1 fusion. Check out the pictures: I think there are scare pics... its cool

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2124468&id=58202825&l=0bcf9da737

CHRIS WBS
10-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Congratulations on the great outcome, Nikki; and OMG what a beautiful baby!

Doodles
10-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Nikki--
That looks amazing! Congrats on such a great outcome. I assume the posterior part was regular surgery and not the less invasive kind right? Certainly good to have the other part done that way though. We're the same--T2-S1. Janet

jrnyc
10-22-2009, 05:29 PM
NO REPLY from dr anand...what is going on with him.....????

called & left phone message today

jess

LeansLeft
11-09-2009, 04:47 PM
I met with Dr. Anand Friday (11/6/09) who informed me that his technique would work for me and provide the same result as the current standard method of "opening you up and filleting the spine," as he put it. No ICU, less blood loss, and quicker recovery time. And his is not a trial method; he's performed the surgery many times. I'd be curious to hear from any of his patients. My situation: 55-year-old male. Thoracic about 50, lumbar nearly 60. Surgery recommended by Dr Pashman at Cedars-Sinai: fusion T2- sacrum. I've been putting off this surgery for about four years -- four years of increasingly debilitating pain.

jrnyc
11-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Hi leansleft
i finally contacted dr anand & heard from him by way of this forum..he told me i can make an appt & fly out to see him for evaluation, which i plan on doing as soon as i work it out with my husband....i live on east coast & it requires i fly 6 hours to CA..i expect to schedule an appt by sometime january...it would be great if that surgery could help my 61 degree lumbar curve especially.....my upper curve of 40 is now treated with botox shots...just noticed you live in malibu...nice!..& close to cedars-sinai too!

i have hesitated to have surgery thus far as i fear losing the flexibility i have, but the pain is getting to the desperation point...i take oxycontin for pain now..i dont like the morphine they gave me...but i have lost weight down to 95 pounds from nausea from pain meds!

best of luck whatever you decide
jess

CHRIS WBS
11-10-2009, 10:33 AM
I met with Dr. Anand Friday (11/6/09) who informed me that his technique would work for me and provide the same result as the current standard method of "opening you up and filleting the spine," as he put it. No ICU, less blood loss, and quicker recovery time. And his is not a trial method; he's performed the surgery many times. I'd be curious to hear from any of his patients. My situation: 55-year-old male. Thoracic about 50, lumbar nearly 60. Surgery recommended by Dr Pashman at Cedars-Sinai: fusion T2- sacrum. I've been putting off this surgery for about four years -- four years of increasingly debilitating pain.

Did you not ask to speak to any of Dr. Anands patients who have had similar surgeries like what hes recommending for you? Ive had my spine filleted and I have no pain. Im baffled why some people choose to live for years with increasing debilitating pain.

jrnyc
11-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi Chris
i know that there are no guarantees with any surgery...but i would prefer something that saves my muscles & nerves from trauma..the less invasive, the better...in the past, i believe that those who could have endoscopic surgery preferred it..i have not been a candidate for that, according to some excellent nyc surgeons...but if i can now access a less invasive approach, of course i would prefer that...my pain got bad only 5 years ago when i herniated discs..before that i went to the gym 4 times a week! and even then, it got worse slowly. when i retired (early), i thought the pain would stop advancing...much to my surprise, it continued! dont know if that was inevitable with the disc disease & arthritis in my spine.. i guess there is no going backward with degenerative disc disease..thus the term "degenerative" :rolleyes: but i really had high hopes when i left the 2 jobs in manhattan that i loved...thought retirement would allow for reduced pain due to reduced demands...now, as the pain refuses to let go, i find myself considering surgery i thought i never would accept!
i see nothing wrong with investigating a less invasive type...still, i could decide never to have the surgery....

and i still read lots of follow up problems in the revision section of forum..but that's not to say that couldnt happen with less invasive surgery too...its a risk with any type of surgery, i guess...

i am very glad for you that you have no pain...i dont believe everyone is that lucky....

best regards
jess

CHRIS WBS
11-12-2009, 08:48 AM
[QUOTE i am very glad for you that you have no pain...i dont believe everyone is that lucky....[/QUOTE]

And that may be because I did not exactly go into this surgery with debilitating pain. I could not afford to wait until that happened as I have several more working years ahead of me. When I saw Dr. Bridwell at age 57, he advised me to have surgery within the next year or two; and while he did not do my surgery, I did heed his advice. I would be concerned that by postponing surgery until the 11th hour, results might be less than favorable.

loves to skate
11-12-2009, 11:05 AM
And that may be because I did not exactly go into this surgery with debilitating pain. I could not afford to wait until that happened as I have several more working years ahead of me. When I saw Dr. Bridwell at age 57, he advised me to have surgery within the next year or two; and while he did not do my surgery, I did heed his advice. I would be concerned that by postponing surgery until the 11th hour, results might be less than favorable.[/B]

I agree with you Chris. If only I had known about my scoliosis and been referred to the right Doctor in the first place, I would certainly have had my surgery at least 2 years sooner, maybe more if I were advised to. As it is, I have residual pain and it may never go away. The Doctors at the Baptist are deciding what to do about me at the present time. At least I have my life back and I am very grateful for that. I can't imagine how my spine could have been improved with less invasive surgery. Maybe a curve without degenerative changes, but not mine. If your Doctor is an SRS Doctor and goes to the annual meetings, I am sure if there is a less invasive surgery out there for you, He (your Doctor) would know about it.
Sally

jrnyc
11-12-2009, 11:15 AM
This less invasive surgery by dr anand out in CA is supposed to be a new procedure...i did not ever qualify before for less invasive, per dr lonner, dr boachie, dr neuwirth. i want to see what dr anand has to offer...to do less i believe would be a dis-service to myself...

i could not have had surgery sooner due to my situation in nyc....i also did not even consider surgery a possible reality til about a year ago...

i honestly believe that if procedures improve over the years, i would be a fool not to investigate them...i hope methods continue to get better in the future...i believe every new discovery deserves a chance to be checked out!
that is what makes sense to me...

jess

loves to skate
11-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Hi Jess,

I hope for your sake it works out for you. I wish you well.

Sally

jrnyc
11-12-2009, 04:06 PM
thank you, sally, for the good wishes...

i dont want to ever overlook the new & innovative.....& i may never have any kind of surgery...i just dont know yet...i do know that when i go see the nyc surgeons that i know, i will ask them what they know/think about dr anand's work....i expect to see one or more of them this winter...

i want to meet the doctor in CA personally...maybe his work could help me, maybe not...but i want to investigate it...i am not delaying anything else in the meantime, for i have nothing else planned at this point, except my thoracic botox shots next week with my nyc pain doctor...

best regards..i hope your revision surgery relieves that pain that you wrote about...

jess

JenniferG
11-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Good luck Jess. I hope that Dr. Anand can offer you something safe and effective. In time there will be more innovative techniques again, but please remember, the longer you wait, the more difficult a job you'll present your surgeon.

I hope you'll report back to us with more information about this new MI technique. I have high hopes for scoli patients of the future having a much less invasive procedure available to them.

jrnyc
11-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks, Jen..i will keep you posted...expect to call next week to schedule appt ....will try for mid january...good time to go to CA for any reason!! :)

continued good health to you...& to all those healing & healed!!

jess

LeansLeft
11-19-2009, 04:48 PM
The pain didn't get bad until about four years ago. All the while I was working out five days a week and went on a lot of business trips. Still do, but now it hurts more. I guess I had to weigh the lengthy recovery time, and what seems to be a scary, life-altering fusion vs. the amount of pain I was in. And I kept hoping for a different procedure. Maybe this is it.

Jess, I'm curious to learn about your visit to Dr. Anand. The procedure is new enough that there aren't many patients in our situation for referrals, but I have asked for one, and his office says they'll put me in touch with someone.

Andrew