Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less invasive new surgery

http://www.canada.com/health/spinal+...285/story.html

I'm not sure how long this link will be active, but hopefully some will be able to check it out. Advances in medecine are so incredible. I'm a little jealous of those who get this procedure instead of the one I went through nearly 20 years ago
    - 39 years old
    - At age 14, curve progressed from 45 degrees to 62 degrees in two months.
    - Surgery in 1990 at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) with Dr. Letts. Fused T5 to L2. Corrected to about 30 degrees.
    - Harrington rod
    - Herniated disc - L5/S1 - January 2008. Summer 2009 - close to making a full recovery.
    - New mommy as of February 2011
    - Second child - September 2013
    - Staying relatively painfree through physio exercises!

I need disc repaired along with rod and screws, I wonder if there is an easier way to fix them and then do this new procedure??,, that would be GREAT!

Comment

How fantastic, that advances are continuing to be made in scoliosis surgery, as they have done for many years. How jealous I am of those in years to come who can avail themselves of those advances!

But I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Only for thoracic spine though. Still very great to watch the advances.
        45L/40T
        Surgery 25/1/2010
        Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

I emailed Dr. Anand about the new surgery procedure, but I need Lumbar Surgery, Jimbo, is this something that can't be done with the new surgery?

Comment

i also e mail-ed dr anand...& need lumbar surgery as well...i await a reply from his office...though i fear his surgery wont work for fusion that is needed to pelvis...but maybe i will be pleasantly surprised...also, i asked if his scoli surgery is only experimental

jess

Comment

Jess, if he gets back to you before he responds to me let me know about the lumbar surgery. I"m curious about lumbar and fixing disc before doing the rods..thanks..

rich

Comment

Originally posted by rich1752 View Post
                Jess, if he gets back to you before he responds to me let me know about the lumbar surgery. I"m curious about lumbar and fixing disc before doing the rods..thanks..

rich
                Hey! My Dr went in through my left side and next to my belly buttom to remove my lumbar discs, and put in a cage. much less invasive. then 3 days later did the full posterior T2-S1 fusion. Check out the pictures: I think there are scare pics... its cool

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=0bcf9da737
                Surgery 6/29 and 7/3 of 2009~ 17 hours worth
                7 blood transfusions (3 were my own)
                26 years old at time of surgery, diagnosed at 12 -
                TLSO brace did NOTHING for me after 3 yrs wearing it...
                other than cause embarassment & torture

Before Surgery:
                Thoracic Curve: 68 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 89 degrees

After Surgery:
                Thoracic Curve: 32 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 25 degrees

<3 Nikki

My surgery experience album:
                http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=0bcf9da737

Comment

Congratulations on the great outcome, Nikki; and OMG what a beautiful baby!

Comment

Nikki--
                    That looks amazing! Congrats on such a great outcome. I assume the posterior part was regular surgery and not the less invasive kind right? Certainly good to have the other part done that way though. We're the same--T2-S1. Janet
                    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

NO REPLY from dr anand...what is going on with him.....????

called & left phone message today

jess
                      Last edited by jrnyc; 10-22-2009, 05:33 PM.

Comment

I met with Dr. Anand Friday (11/6/09) who informed me that his technique would work for me and provide the same result as the current standard method of "opening you up and filleting the spine," as he put it. No ICU, less blood loss, and quicker recovery time. And his is not a trial method; he's performed the surgery many times. I'd be curious to hear from any of his patients. My situation: 55-year-old male. Thoracic about 50°, lumbar nearly 60°. Surgery recommended by Dr Pashman at Cedars-Sinai: fusion T2- sacrum. I've been putting off this surgery for about four years -- four years of increasingly debilitating pain.

Comment

Hi leansleft
                          i finally contacted dr anand & heard from him by way of this forum..he told me i can make an appt & fly out to see him for evaluation, which i plan on doing as soon as i work it out with my husband....i live on east coast & it requires i fly 6 hours to CA..i expect to schedule an appt by sometime january...it would be great if that surgery could help my 61 degree lumbar curve especially.....my upper curve of 40 is now treated with botox shots...just noticed you live in malibu...nice!..& close to cedars-sinai too!

i have hesitated to have surgery thus far as i fear losing the flexibility i have, but the pain is getting to the desperation point...i take oxycontin for pain now..i dont like the morphine they gave me...but i have lost weight down to 95 pounds from nausea from pain meds!

best of luck whatever you decide
                          jess
                          Last edited by jrnyc; 11-09-2009, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LeansLeft View Post
                            I met with Dr. Anand Friday (11/6/09) who informed me that his technique would work for me and provide the same result as the current standard method of "opening you up and filleting the spine," as he put it. No ICU, less blood loss, and quicker recovery time. And his is not a trial method; he's performed the surgery many times. I'd be curious to hear from any of his patients. My situation: 55-year-old male. Thoracic about 50°, lumbar nearly 60°. Surgery recommended by Dr Pashman at Cedars-Sinai: fusion T2- sacrum. I've been putting off this surgery for about four years -- four years of increasingly debilitating pain.
                            Did you not ask to speak to any of Dr. Anand’s patients who have had similar surgeries like what he’s recommending for you? I’ve had my spine filleted and I have no pain. I’m baffled why some people choose to live for years with increasing debilitating pain.

Comment

Hi Chris
                              i know that there are no guarantees with any surgery...but i would prefer something that saves my muscles & nerves from trauma..the less invasive, the better...in the past, i believe that those who could have endoscopic surgery preferred it..i have not been a candidate for that, according to some excellent nyc surgeons...but if i can now access a less invasive approach, of course i would prefer that...my pain got bad only 5 years ago when i herniated discs..before that i went to the gym 4 times a week! and even then, it got worse slowly. when i retired (early), i thought the pain would stop advancing...much to my surprise, it continued! dont know if that was inevitable with the disc disease & arthritis in my spine.. i guess there is no going backward with degenerative disc disease..thus the term "degenerative" but i really had high hopes when i left the 2 jobs in manhattan that i loved...thought retirement would allow for reduced pain due to reduced demands...now, as the pain refuses to let go, i find myself considering surgery i thought i never would accept!
                              i see nothing wrong with investigating a less invasive type...still, i could decide never to have the surgery....

and i still read lots of follow up problems in the revision section of forum..but that's not to say that couldnt happen with less invasive surgery too...its a risk with any type of surgery, i guess...

i am very glad for you that you have no pain...i dont believe everyone is that lucky....

best regards
                              jess

Comment

Working...
                              X