PDA

View Full Version : Day 5 - Willow comes home

Pooka1
10-10-2009, 04:12 PM
They released her after she did the stairs. Still at the hospital waiting for some paperwork to be signed. Her sister and I have decorated the room for her return.

She was walking all over the place last night and today. Very bored.

Still hasn't eaten much.

Radiographs today. She looks completely straight through the thorax. She has a small residual curve below the rods that I don't recall seeing on Savannah's in-hospital radiographs. I assume that will straighten out by the 6-week first appointment but we will see. From the side, the two rods almost completely overlap which I take to mean she is pretty much derotated. Spine artistry there.

She sleeps a lot but is physically able to do almost anything when awake. It will be interesting to see when she returns to school. I have a prediction which I will write down, put in a sealed envelope, and send to Ti Ed... er... uh... I mean me. :)

One note on the ice-chips-before-gut-sounds issue since it is my favorite issue it seems... I make it a point to ask any and every doctor who entered the room about it because they changed the policy some time in the last 1.5 years. The last guy I asked said, "It's a moving target" and that this game is really an art form. No kidding. :eek::)

Despite the relatively few ice chips, she never had any bloating or discomfort. But we did go very slow on those before her gut woke up.

laurieg6
10-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Hi Sharon,

Congratulations on surviving your 2nd scoliosis surgery! It sounds like Willow is having a really great outcome like her sister and that is such great news. What a relief it must be to be taking her home in such relatively active and positive shape.

I'm so happy for you!

Pooka1
10-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Laurie, I very much appreciate your kind words. Thank you.

Both my kids seem to have very squirrelly spines. Maybe that made it easier to coax them back into alignment. We'll have to wait and see on the long term like everyone else.

JenniferG
10-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Home on Day 5! How wonderful! As someone who didn't go home until Day 19, I am just blown away at how quickly some spineys are discharged.

Congrats. on surviving another child's surgery Sharon. I hope you will stay with this forum for other parents because your experience and knowledge is so valuable.

pmsmom
10-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Yes! Congratulations to you both! Welcome home, Willow!

mariaf
10-10-2009, 09:34 PM
So glad that Willow is home - it must be a great feeling!!

leahdragonfly
10-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Hi Sharon,

Great news! I am glad you are all home, I hope everyone sleeps well tonight.

Please keep us posted how Willow's recovery is going.

debbei
10-11-2009, 08:10 AM
Hi Sharon,

I'm so glad she's home now. You must be breathing a big sigh of relief. I'm curious when she'll go back to school too. These young ones are just AMAZING! Is she on much pain meds at home? The young girl I know locally who had this surgery was off pain meds within 2 weeks, which seemed incredible to me!

Pooka1
10-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Jennifer, pmsmom, Maria, and Gayle,

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Debbei, she was prescribed 1-2 percosets every 4-6 hours. Since she came home, I have been giving her 2 every 4 hours but will taper that as soon as possible.

She was very uncomfortable on the bed here so we ran out last night and got two 1.5 inch memory foam toppers. That helped a lot. After she is recovered, each girl can take one for their bed.

My other kid went through the prescription meds and needed several days of OTC pain meds. She never could have gone off pain meds completely when the script was out. I am guessing the same for this kid.

We started with 60 percosets each time.

In re school, she just started high school. They have block scheduling here where they do the entire year in one semester (90 minute classes). It's good in general but bad in that you miss a day you are really missing two days. This of course is a killer when you have major surgery.

She has biology and geometry in the middle the day and electives in the morning and afternoon. I am hoping she can return at least to the two core classes after two weeks but we will have to see. I will not mention that to her... she has to figure it out for herself when she can return.

She knows the clock is ticking double time and that she is missing a great deal of work. I decided I need to take off a week from work in order to catch her up in geometry and biology. It's a great deal of work. I can work directly from the geometry textbook. I have spoken with her biology teacher and will have Willow do the labs she missed either at home or at another lab so she doesn't miss that work. I'll teach her the biology lectures. Although I'm SO not a biologist, I did well in the intro year of college bio so I feel like I'm not in over my head. :D

Biology is Willow's favorite class as she wants to be a research biologist. I think both girls will go into some field of science which considerably warms a mother's heart. :)

titaniumed
10-12-2009, 10:47 PM
I have a prediction which I will write down, put in a sealed envelope, and send to Ti Ed... er... uh... I mean me.

And? Inquiring minds need to know that prediction.

We know that science "warms a mothers heart" LOL But please, go easy, its only been 6 days. Geometry on percoset doesnt sound like fun.

I like the block scheduling. Maybe, she can make up at a later time? Just in case.
I blew out advanced geometry in 5 weeks the summer of my 9th grade. It was great.
Hackensack High, Hackensack, NJ 1973. LOL Go hack,hack,Hackensack you know.....

No wait, It was sack,sack,Hackensack, depending on which quarterback the cheerleaders wanted sacked. That was a while ago.......
Ed

Pooka1
10-13-2009, 06:51 AM
Ti Ed, I am hoping she can return to bio and geometry by next Monday or Tuesday. That would be 13/14 days post op. We'll see.

She can do the creative writing and art assignments at home as far as I'm concerned. But she can't keep missing bio labs.

So you took geometry in the summer after 9th grade? I don't know if that is an option here. I don't think they have summer school here even before the budget cuts for anything besides PE and driver's ed as far as I know.

I grew up only a few years behind you east of the Hudson in Queens. :)

Pooka1
10-13-2009, 06:55 AM
And in re science warming my heart, I have never found anything that comes close to the amazements of nature as revealed through science.

I recently heard Carl Sagan's widow, Ann Druyan, mention that "Cosmos" has never left the air after it was first broadcast. It is always playing somewhere. I suggest anyone who saw that series will not be surprised to hear that. Beyond fascinating.

concerned dad
10-13-2009, 08:30 AM
They have block scheduling here where they do the entire year in one semester (90 minute classes).

What do they do the second semester?

Pooka1
10-13-2009, 05:38 PM
CD,

Each school year they take eight classes, four in the fall and four in the spring. For ninth grade, these eight include four core classes (Science, Math, Social Studies and English), three electives, and PE. As soon as I informed the school that Willow was having surgery and that she would be on restrictions for eight months, they pulled her out of PE and put her in another elective class.

Willow has Geometry, Biology, Creative Writing, and Art I this semester. Next semester she will have English, Social Studies, French II and Art II.

She is in mostly honors classes so there is extra work she has to make up.

She will be off restrictions by next summer and may choose to take PE then rather than use one of eight class slots for that. Otherwise she will have to take PE in tenth grade.

This block scheduling allows a student to complete high school sooner than four years but I think many stay on and take electives and AP classes. I'm not sure which strategy is better yet... have to analyze it.

mariaf
10-13-2009, 10:29 PM
I grew up only a few years behind you east of the Hudson in Queens. :)

That is too funny. I was in 9th grade in 1975 (also a few years behind Ti Ed), also in Queens.

Small world.

laurieg6
10-14-2009, 01:52 AM
Hey, I'm from the Bronx, then moved to Rockland County (Spring Valley, NY - really close to Hackensack, NJ) where I grew up. I think I'm right around all your ages - graduated HS in '79.

mariaf
10-14-2009, 06:55 AM
Yup, Laurie - I graduated in 1978. And Spring Valley, as you know, is within about an hour of where I am. I used to love taking trips up that way, and further north, this time of year when the kids were little to go apple and pumpkin picking and check out the beautiful foliage.

Pooka1
10-14-2009, 07:05 AM
I graduated in HS in 1977 but was a year ahead. I suspect Maria and I were born in the same year.

Maybe we have at least a plurality of NY folks? :)

Anyway, the salient point here is that Ti Ed is older than ALL of us. :D

debbei
10-14-2009, 11:15 AM
I graduated in HS in 1977 but was a year ahead. I suspect Maria and I were born in the same year.

But as Ed says....remember.....50 is the new 40....actually he says it's the new 30!! :D

titaniumed
10-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks for reminding me. I also have done quite a few years with scoli pain. It definitely changes you.... Its great to be pain free now.......

We used to do trips to "the city". That's Manhattan for you readers from elsewhere. It was an experience back then, Mayor Lindsay had things under control. 9 murders per day, garbage piled up for days because the garbage men demanded big bucks, punk bands in the village, studio 54. Nixon, trips to the moon.Those were interesting times.

As I get older, I like things slower and quieter. Even Reno is too crowded for my tastes.

Billions and billions is fine, but not in our population. I'm sure Carl Sagan would agree.........

Years ago in Nevada, you could drive and not see another car for a long long time.
Today, you could be anywhere, and hitchhike and get a ride in a few minutes.

On another note, its been determined that vets with ALS,can now get disability bennies.

Proven chemical exposure........isn't that lovely?

Everyone needs to be an environmentalist... It should be taught in school.
Ed

mariaf
10-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Since I will be turning 50 in March, I'm glad to hear it is the new 40....and I like Ed's view that it is the new 30
even better!

Pooka1
10-14-2009, 04:30 PM
I'll be 50 in January and am relying obligately on the "50 is the new 40 or 30" thing.

Ti Ed, in re ALS, have they ruled out that it is long-term Lyme?

Lou Gehrig had a summer home in Lyme CT which seems like more than a coincidence at this point.

What is the culprit toxicant?

Snoopy
10-14-2009, 05:05 PM

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone for making me feel really young!:D I graduated High School in 1985!

Mary Lou

Pooka1
10-14-2009, 05:11 PM
I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone for making me feel really young!:D I graduated High School in 1985!

Mary Lou

Yep I see your point.

Could Ti Ed technically be your grandfather I wonder? :eek:

ps. We loves ya Ti Ed! :D

gabs mum
10-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Hi Sharon,

I was so pleased to read your posts and see everything was going well.
I gather strength from all the Mums on this forum and the valuable information you all share so willingly.
Did Willow enjoy her memory foam mattress toppers? Did they make a difference? I am looking into buying one or two, just not sure.
Did you find them really helpful and whats thickness are they?
What about the pillow?
Still trying to work out what the bit about the "no fluid until the tummy rumbles" is all about. Anyway, would love to know.

Regards
Donna.

Pooka1
10-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Hi Sharon,

I was so pleased to read your posts and see everything was going well. I gather strength from all the Mums on this forum and the valuable information you all share so willingly.

Hey thanks, Donna. I appreciate it.

Did Willow enjoy her memory foam mattress toppers? Did they make a difference? I am looking into buying one or two, just not sure.
Did you find them really helpful and whats thickness are they?

Yes she absolutely LOVES them. I asked my husband to get a medium thickness and medium firmness one (~ 2-3 INCHES) because I had no idea which would be best. They only had the 1.5 inch (whatever firmness) so he bought two. She she is laying on 3 inches of foam. It makes me die 1,000 deaths because we did NOT get this for my other daughter. Never realized it existed or would help. :(

What about the pillow?

She just has two fairly thin regular pillows.

Still trying to work out what the bit about the "no fluid until the tummy rumbles" is all about. Anyway, would love to know.

The point of that is to avoid bloating which occurs if you put food or drink in the stomach before the gut wakes up and peristaltic action resumes. Our surgeon considers bloating a major setback and is strict about restricting food and drink. It is extremely painful per the testimonials on this forum, maybe more painful than the surgical pain.

Now as I mentioned, this is a bit of a moving target as to ice chips. In March 2008 with my first kid, the rule was no nothing, not even ice chips, until gut sounds occur. That was three days. She had zero bloating.

With the second kid last week, they relaxed the "no ice chips rule" and allowed them before gut sounds but we were told to go easy. After the "riot act" with the first kid, I went VERY easy on the chips. Zero bloating. So I died another 1,000 deaths knowing the first kid didn't have to suffer with thirst quite so much. :(

Now all that said, based on what I could gather, I suspect some kids might in fact have bloating with ice chips before gut sounds and they make swing back to no ice chips before gut sounds at any point.

Hope that helps.

gabs mum
10-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Thanks Sharon.
Just went out and bought two toppers! Well, put them on lay-by.

Thanks for explaining the tummy rumbles and ice chips!
Is that normal for all operations and I wonder if that is the norm in Australia?

Donna

titaniumed
10-15-2009, 01:23 AM
Sharon,

Aw Shucks! Y'all luvs me. (I have a classic look on my face right now)

Today I feel like grandpa, Its late and I'm whooped. Too tired for luv. LMAO. I'm cuttin everyone off of the luv stuff....Must be the headache.

I was reading so fast the other day on the ALS thing, now I cannot find the name of the supposed chemical. I should have saved. I will keep looking.Anyway, some of us in metalworking, have been exposed to some lovely things through the years. I'm very concerned about it now, I'm very very funky about toxins and chemicals. Oh yeah, and that includes drugs also.

http://www1.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=1583

The highest rates happen in the Air force.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Donna,

Get the foam. Its a must. At least 4cm thick

Some info on "no fluid until the tummy rumbles"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ileus

I was NPO "nil per os", nothing by mouth as I had a 9 day Ileus.

They use a NG tube.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasogastric_intubation

FYI
Ed

pmsmom
10-15-2009, 06:37 AM
I think the advice about nothing before gut sounds is correct. They told us that Paula could have ice chips/sips of water and I kept asking, "Are you hearing bowel sounds?" They said yes, so I'd give her a sip here and there.

Not that she felt much like eating anything anyway. Those strong pain meds take away the appetite as well as making them nauseous so they really don't feel like eating much (at least that was our experience).

She still ended up bloating and being constipated. And that is an awful feeling. She said (mainly after we got home) that her bloating and gas hurt more than her back.

I do recommend the Miralax for constipation though. Paula's GP recommended it once we got home and I've seen it mentioned several times on the board.

Great stuff! :)

mariaf
10-15-2009, 07:40 AM

Mary Lou

Yeah, folks our age have a way of making others feel young - LOL!

But there is one day each year when I feel particularly ancient. I work at a large law firm in Manhattan, and every September the new batch of first year associates come in. It got depressing a few years ago when I realized they could be my kids!