3 months post op!! T2-S1 fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 months post op!! T2-S1 fusion

So, it has been interesting... to say the least. I didn't know exactly how hard it was going to be for like, a couple MONTHS after surgery!! I ended up going through 17 hours of surgery, 7 blood transfusions, and 11 days in the hospital. I have plans for the next few days to get on here and do updates.. with the whole experience/story to share.. I am at home finally (I had to stay at my mom's while i was post op for a while because I have a little girl that my mom was caring for, and even though I couldn't do anything, I couldn't bare to be away from her).

I have my pictures from surgery stuff on facebook.. Im gonna try and post the link to the pictures like everyone does but I'm not too familiar with doing that so I hope it works, if not-- message me or just add me on face book (Nikki Shuman)... there are some crazy pictures-- OH! And check this out: (dont worry they're not in the album) but I convinced my doctor to take a couple pictures for me DURING surgery. Yeah, he rocks. If anyone is having surgery in the Chicago area... Dr. Christopher Dewald. I swear by him. He's awesome and I would have driven from California if I had to for him... thank God I'm only 3 hours away.

Facebook pics:
    The hospital pictures
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...37&id=58202825

Some after pictures (the difference is remarkable, I look like a whole new person. For the first time in my life, I feel pretty. I hope that doesn't seem shallow, but I have NEVER felt like someone who had a 'nice body' or anything like that... now, I feel like I look normal... I dont feel normal by any means, but I think I look more normal. ANYWAY- some after pics!
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=1bb52d2e2e

OH! My baby girl just turned 1, there are some better pics in this album too if you all wanna take a look!! YAY!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=4236b93ab7
    Last edited by shortlilnikki; 10-07-2009, 02:28 AM.
    Surgery 6/29 and 7/3 of 2009~ 17 hours worth
    7 blood transfusions (3 were my own)
    26 years old at time of surgery, diagnosed at 12 -
    TLSO brace did NOTHING for me after 3 yrs wearing it...
    other than cause embarassment & torture

Before Surgery:
    Thoracic Curve: 68 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 89 degrees

After Surgery:
    Thoracic Curve: 32 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 25 degrees

<3 Nikki

My surgery experience album:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=0bcf9da737

That brought back a few memories! 17 hours! Hope you will tell us a bit more about your surgery and I for one would love to see the pics your surgeon took.

I have to say you managed to look beautiful the whole way through your ordeal and your little girl's a little doll.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Nikki,

I looked at every one of your pictures on Facebook - you are an inspiration to me! You seem like such a wonderful woman and now you have such a straight spine, woohoo!

I am now 2 weeks post-op and in the thick of it. My pain is still very bad and I am struggling to sit up for 20 minutes at a time, but your pictures show me that it will get better, and I thank you for that.

By the way, I also live in the Midwest ~3 hours from Chicago, in Champaign-Urbana, IL. The pictures of you walking out in the country with the corn in the background look just like where I live.

I hope your recovery continues to be successful! Also, your daughter is such a cutie!!

--Steph

2 wks post-op
      Fusion & instrumentation from T9 - L2 on Sept. 23rd, 2009
      --Steph

Anterior surgery 9/23/09
      Fused T10 - L3

Comment

Thanks for sharing those pictures. They really gave a great insight into this surgery.

Is it common for people's bellies to poke out like that after surgery? I aint gonna be lookin forward to that
        45L/40T
        Surgery 25/1/2010
        Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

yea u are also an inspiration to me as well. im 25 and my large curve is 74 degrees and i think it will progress. I hope things continue to get better for you everyday. are you really happy you did it?
          -Bethany
          pre-op L 74*
          pre-op Th 56*
          surgery scheduled for jan. 6th 2010
          getting nervous

Comment

Niki,
            17 hours? Wow! Seriously though, hope all is well, bet wishes on the road to recovery.

Hey Steph,
            Hang in there, it does get better everyday! Just rest rest and more rest!

Jimbo,
            your surgeon usually tells you if about your tummy if your having anterior surgery. The crappy part about it is that, you can't do situps to make it go away - only abdominal bracing!
            Vali
            44 years young! now 45
            Surgery - June 1st, 2009
            Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
            St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
            Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
            Post -op - 5 degrees
            T11 - S1 Posterior
            L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Working...
            X