PDA

View Full Version : Willow's Day 1

Pooka1
10-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Willow got away with a fairly easy ride as far as surgery goes.

T4-L1
~5 hours
cell saver only

She is far more alert and able to do things than her sister. She can wet her own mouth with that stick-sponge thingie, talk on the phone coherently for minutes on end, ask for her mirror to see how straight she is, almost roll herself, etc. I am shocked. The other kid was pretty zonked out the first few days and didn't do any of that stuff.

I ran into the recovery room nurse in the gift shop and mentioned that I thought she was 2 days ahead of where her sister was on the first day. Either this kid is average and the other was behind the curve or the other kid was average and this kid is ahead of the curve, one or the other. She said this kid is ahead of the curve. I asked why and she suggested she reacted better to the drugs. I don't know but I'll take it. Maybe this will mean a shorter hospital stay and a quicker return to school.

The biggest news is they relaxed the no-ice-chips-until-gut-sounds rule since we were here 1.5 years ago which is VERY GOOD! Still, she is supposed to go slowly on those.

She looks pretty even and straight to me. We will have to wait a few days to see what residual angle she has. Our surgeon is a spine artist. It has to be a gift or a talent. It has been one of my greatest fortunes in life to have been referred to him. Maybe others could do just as well but nobody could possibly do better.

Thanks again to the people who "man" this forum providing so much support.

sharon

Pooka1
10-06-2009, 09:56 PM
And just to add... I am so glad I came so far off the ledge this time. That extra worry would have gone completely to waste. :)

Oh one more thing... I also mentioned to the recovery room nurse that Willow was thoroughly debriefed on what to expect by her sister and that maybe that contributed to her apparent ease with the whole situation, both before and after surgery. The nurse agreed that that may have contributed to her smooth recovery, at least so far.

The human brain and the human mind... beyond fascinating. If I already wasn't entrenched in my field I would go into brain science for sure. :D

titaniumed
10-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Ahh, good news.

Twin girls are so close. The programming had to have helped considerably........

Being prepared for the unknown is beneficial in all scenarios.

Time to party?

Ed

Pooka1
10-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Too soon to party! The recovery has barely begun.

And by the way, she was debriefed, not programmed. These kids are going to think for themselves if I have to stand on my head to achieve it. :D

sharon

JenniferG
10-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Great news! How exciting for her and relief for you that it's over and she's doing so well so soon. You sound pretty happy too!:D

Pooka1
10-06-2009, 11:51 PM
Great news! How exciting for her and relief for you that it's over and she's doing so well so soon. You sound pretty happy too!:D

I'm pretty happy. The day of the pre-op was magical if I might use that term. Several circumstances conspired to make it a great day for Willow and me. And I felt like we had some emotional momentum going into today.

I feel like if I had triplets, the next time would be even easier. If I had octuplets, I would barely blink. But you never know. :D

valleygirl
10-07-2009, 02:15 AM
Great news. Yay! Congratulations! So glad Willow is recovering comfortably. I'm sure she'll continue to do great as she has so much love and support coming at her from you, her sister and everyone here.

Hang in there, get some rest, relax...the worst is over and all is well. Please keep us posted on Willow's progress and I'll keep you all in my prayers.

debbei
10-07-2009, 06:54 AM
Sharon,

I'm so glad that all went well for Willow. These kids are just amazing how quicky they snap back. Unlike old farts like me. :)

Tell Willow to keep up the good work.

Snoopy
10-07-2009, 07:06 AM
If I had octuplets, I would barely blink. But you never know. :D

Hmmmm........Octuplets? Interested in enlarging your family? :D Just kidding!

I'm so happy to hear the surgery is over and recovery is going well. Remember to take care of yourself and don't let Willow push too hard.

Mary Lou

Singer
10-07-2009, 07:50 AM
Great news! Best wishes for a continued speedy and uneventful recovery...

mariaf
10-07-2009, 07:51 AM
That's wonderful news, Sharon! You must be very relieved. I couldn't be happier for you and Willow!

WNCmom
10-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Very glad to hear all went so well. Onward and upward! Cheering for you and Willow.

Mary Ellen

tonibunny
10-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi Sharon,

I just had to pop by to congratulate Willow and wish her well :) I hope she continues to recover incredibly fast. Massive hugs to all of you!

Toni xx

Pooka1
10-07-2009, 11:16 AM
valleygirl, debbei, Mary Lou, Singer, Maria, Mary Ellen, and Toni,

Thanks for the kind thoughts and well wishes.

She's a bit more uncomfortable today and seems to be running a slight fever. That's close to what happened to her sister. She is definitely stressing over the tilt-table today. That and the changing of the wound dressing on Day 4 tape were among the "WATCH OUT!" items in the debriefing from Savannah. :eek:

The two girls are in frequent contact via phone and text messaging. Savannah is on her third course of meds for mycoplasma bronchitis and so will likely not be able to visit Willow in the hospital at all. When I mentioned this situation during the pre-op and that I was trying and failing to keep them apart at home, the surgeon had a visible, visceral even, reaction. He agreed it was extremely important to keep her away from Will.

I think the nurse is right that Willow just handled the meds during the operation better than her sister. Biochem and physiology. She said she was "comfortable" or "very comfortable" three times yesterday. I don't believe Savannah ever said that at any point while she was in the hospital, not even on the last day. They probably just have different pain thresholds. Mary Lou, I don't think it is under Willow's control and that she is pushing herself. Willow came out of the gate in better shape it seems even though they had nearly identical surgeries. This situation really highlights that everyone is different.

And Mary Lou, I am NOT expanding my family! Besides these two girls, I'm raising a horse, 5 guinea pigs, and a husband and am the grandmother to three snakes and a huge bullfrog. :D

laurieg6
10-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Hi Sharon,

I'm so glad to hear about Willow's successful surgery and her relatively "easy" recovery so far. I'm pretty sure that the fever is normal, at least that's what I was told after my son's surgery when he had one. It should only last for a day or two.

I hope that Savannah feels better soon and that Willow continues to do really, really well. You sure deserve to be able to relax about scoliosis and move on to some more peaceful, less stressful activities. Not that there aren't always things to worry about with kids...

Take care,

mariaf
10-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Well said, Laurie - there certainly IS always something to worry about with kids.

That said, two major surgeries over the past couple of years, as in Sharon's case, is a bit more than usual to have to stress over - so let's hope she gets a well-deserved break from having to worry about anything that big for a while :)

Pooka1
10-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Laurie and Maria,

Unfortunately, plenty of parents go through far more than 2 surgeries like this in two years. But that said, it's been a mental burden of course.

After seeing these surgeries and recoveries, though, I am now presently more concerned about any emergent Marfans and potential heart/aorta surgery than fusion surgery. The complication rate on fusions is so low... I don't know what it is on repairing an enlarging aortic root and replacing heart valves. I'm guessing it is more risky but I don't know that. Aortic root surgery certainly seems like a bigger deal at this point than posterior spinal fusion but what do I know??

What keeps me going is the hope they don't have Marfans and(or) won't develop the aorta/heart problems if they do. I am also encouraged by the thought that these particular things anyway are fixable now and it will only get better and better into the future. Things could be worse. A lot worse.

And the scoli diagnoses may have saved their life. I never forget that point.

Snoopy
10-07-2009, 03:02 PM
And Mary Lou, I am NOT expanding my family! Besides these two girls, I'm raising a horse, 5 guinea pigs, and a husband and am the grandmother to three snakes and a huge bullfrog. :D

Sharon, I'm glad to see that you are keeping your sense of humor through all this! ;)

Mary Lou

concerned dad
10-07-2009, 04:37 PM
... the grandmother to three snakes and a huge bullfrog. :D

Very glad to hear things are going so well for Willow.

Just a bit of advice/reminder since I'm sure you have your hands full:
Dont forget to feed the snakes. If you do forget, be sure to keep them away from that frog!

Snoopy
10-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Dont forget to feed the snakes. If you do forget, be sure to keep them away from that frog!

And keep them away from the guinea pigs as well. I think the horse and husband are safe though.

Mary Lou

babachi
10-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Great news, Sharon!
Bethany

Lorraine 1966
10-08-2009, 03:24 AM
Oh Sharon, I am so very pleased that things are going along nicely for Willow, I honestly can hear the relief in your posts. Its up and away from here honey,

Lorraine. (Macky)

CAmomof2
10-08-2009, 04:45 AM
Sharon,

So glad to hear that everything is going well. What a relief it must be to have that over with!!! All the best with recovery! :)

mariaf
10-08-2009, 07:48 AM
What keeps me going is the hope they don't have Marfans and(or) won't develop the aorta/heart problems if they do. I am also encouraged by the thought that these particular things anyway are fixable now and it will only get better and better into the future. Things could be worse. A lot worse.

All very true. As you pointed out, there are several "if"s that would have to happen for you to get to the point of the girls needing heart surgery. And even if they did (which very likely they won't) these techniques are always being improved every day.

One last thing (and I should REALLY take my own advice - LOL!), it would be great if we, as parents, worried less about things we have no control over (and which might never happen)....but if anyone figures out how to turn off that "worry switch" please let me know :)

Pooka1
10-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Bethany, Lorraine(!), and CAmomof2,

Thanks or the well wishes. I appreciate them very much.

Maria, I agree it would be great to turn off the worry. With such a great unknown as fusion surgery, I don't fault anyone for worrying. But seeing is believing and that's why I was able to worry less this time around.

debbei
10-09-2009, 03:47 PM
How is she today Sharon?

Pooka1
10-09-2009, 03:59 PM
How is she today Sharon?

Hey Debbei, please see the new thread.