Willow pre-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willow pre-op

Surgery tomorrow. Did the pre-op today. Same deal as for the other kid... a radiograph, some explaining, and some paperwork signing. Willow was asked to sign the papers also which I thought was a great touch!

The curve did not move measurably in the last month. That said, it was moving about 4-5 degrees a month over the previous six months so it could have moved that much and still be in the measurement noise.

Bending over like crazy she just about levels L2. So he will decide on the table whether to stop at L1 or L2.

I asked if he is sticking with the original diagnosis of AIS given we have a diagnosis of hypermobility which may or may not be a placeholder for Marfans. He didn't answer directly and only responded that the treatment is the same (which I knew). He had previously told me he doesn't think my kids have Marfan's and may continue to think so. In that case, it has to be AIS officially I guess. On the paperwork for school, he just wrote "scoliosis." If I had to bet my house I would say they do not have AIS but rather scoliosis related to a connective tissue disorder. Of course he's the surgeon and I am not!

The school asked me to fill out the homebound paperwork despite the fact that she will likely return before the 4-week trigger time. I never did this paperwork with the other kid because the written material I was given said most kids return before the 4-weeks. And indeed my kid did return before that time.

On this paperwork, he indicated an anticipated convalescence period of 6 weeks not because she will likely need 6 weeks but just so homebound can kick in if she does need it past 4 weeks.

He also wrote 10/12/09 as the recommended start date for return to school. That is only 6 days from her surgery and she will NOT be back at school by then. I think he indicated that so the school will allow her back as early as she is ready to go back. Or he may mean it is okay for tutoring to start then. Not sure.

Willow is looking forward to getting this behind her as are we all. As I mentioned before, I am way more off the ledge compared to last time after seeing the other kid recover and her results. She looks and feels normal. That is a far cry from her condition going into surgery, believe you me. My confidence in the surgeon at this point is off the top end of the scale. He will be assisted by a fourth year resident. Willow feels ready and I feel ready... a very good way to proceed I think.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 10-05-2009, 04:24 PM. Reason: spelling
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Good luck tomorrow Sharon. I hope that everything goes perfectly. Keep us posted.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Good luck tomorrow. Hope all goes smoothly for everyone.
      mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
      Providence night brace, increased to 35*
      Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
      14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
      11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
      Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
      latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
      currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

Wishing you and Willow all the best for surgery tomorrow and for a comfortable, easy, and pain free (as much as possible) recovery.

Will be keeping you both in my prayers!
        ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
        Milwaukee brace 1967-1971 -- hated it!
        Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
        Now curve is T38*, L53*
        Surgery scheduled for 9/8/09

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

Debbei, mamandcrm, and valleygirl,

Thanks so much for the kind thoughts. I appreciate them.

Willow is going in with a 57* curve. Savannah went in with a 58* and came out with a 5* curve and stands about 5' 9" or maybe a bit more. If Willow comes out with a 5* or close, I expect she will be about 5' 11". I'm not sure she realizes that might be the case yet. Her good friend had fusion and is about 6'. Between that kid and her sister and many of the boys, I don't think she will feel so tall.

Thanks again,

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Good luch

I wish you both well and you are in my prayers. Sharon, I guess where this is your second time around with your girls, that you may know what to expect? You are a strong, wonderful mother who will get the job done!! Stay strong...
            All my best,
            Betty JO

Comment

Hello Sharon,

Willow and you will be in my thoughts tomorrow. Best of luck, and I will look forward to hearing that all went well.

Don't forget to take care of yourself, try to eat regularly, and try to rest when she does. I know you both will do great.

Best regards,
              Gayle, age 50
              Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
              Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
              Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
              2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
              2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by Scolimomof1 View Post
                I wish you both well and you are in my prayers. Sharon, I guess where this is your second time around with your girls, that you may know what to expect? You are a strong, wonderful mother who will get the job done!! Stay strong...
                All my best,
                Betty JO
                Betty Jo,

Thanks for the kind words. I am not so strong. I simply have the benefit of seeing one kid come through this. That would make anyone a lot more ready for the next time around.

Thanks again.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                  Hello Sharon,

Willow and you will be in my thoughts tomorrow. Best of luck, and I will look forward to hearing that all went well.

Don't forget to take care of yourself, try to eat regularly, and try to rest when she does. I know you both will do great.

Best regards,

Thanks so much, Gayle. I appreciate your post.

I am determined to take better care of myself for Willow's sake. As a start, I will replace at least half the 10+ coffees I would usually be drinking at the hospital with water. I was dehydrated the last time. My gut was in a permanent knot. I'm going to eat better. The food at the hospital cafeteria is actually very good.

But most of all I think I will be able to sleep when she does. I was too worried with the last kid to sleep enough even when she slept.

Thanks again.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

You and Willow will be in my thoughts tomorrow, for her to have a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Comment

Sharon

All the best for today. Keep us posted.

Things will go much smoother this time around. .

Ed
                      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Sharon,

I somehow missed the fact that Willow's surgery was today. By now it must be over and hopefully she is sleeping and you are at least resting. I'm sure it went really well and I will be looking for your post describing it.

You have been so kind and helpful and encouraging to me and I really wish you and Willow and your whole family all the best.
                        Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                        Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                        Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Wishing you and Willow a 100% successful surgery and a smooth recovery. It's great that you're so confident and knowledgeable having been through it all before.
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

In the chute

swimmergirlsmom, Ti Ed, laurie, and Jennifer,

Thanks for the good wishes! I'll carry them with me.

She will go in around late morning and I expect it's going to be about 5 hours. We will see.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Wishing you and your family all the best today - you'll be in our thoughts.
                              CAmomof2

July 07 - T 26*
                              Aug 08 - curve now 22*
                              Sept 08 - SpineCor Brace (in brace 17*) Ste. Justine
                              March 09 - in brace 14*
                              Aug 09 - in brace 14* / MRI normal
                              Feb 10 - in brace 18* - had an oob xray - now 35*
                              June 10 Considered VBS T 32*, L 27* , Stopped SpineCor brace
                              Sept 10 T 38*, L 26*
                              April 11 T 45*, L 31*
                              July 11 T 51*, L 37*
                              MIS SURGERY - NOV 28, 2011 / Age 12 / Fused T4 - T12

Comment

Working...
                              X