Lower Back Pain After Scoliosis Fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Back Pain After Scoliosis Fusion

Low back pain in patients treated surgically for scoliosis: longer than sixteen-year follow-up.
    Takayama K, Nakamura H, Matsuda H.

Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan.

STUDY DESIGN: A retrospective study. OBJECTIVE: To evaluate long-term outcome regarding low back pain (LBP) in patients treated surgically for scoliosis. SUMMARY OF BACKGROUND DATA: Measures of long-term outcome after surgery for scoliosis have focused mainly on radiologic changes. However, subjective symptoms such as LBP after surgical treatment are of great concern to patients who undergo surgical treatment for scoliosis. METHODS: Thirty-two patients treated surgically for scoliosis between 1976 and 1989 were included in this study. The mean duration of follow-up was 21.1 years. Eighteen patients had adolescent idiopathic scoliosis, 8 had congenital scoliosis, and 6 had symptomatic scoliosis. We evaluated long-term outcome by direct interview. Degree of LBP was evaluated by visual analogue scale score and Moskowitz classification in addition to clinical and radiologic evaluation. Patients were also asked to complete the SF-36 questionnaire. RESULTS: Mean visual analogue scale score at the latest follow-up was 21 (0-80), and 15% of patients had occasional or frequent LBP in Moskowitz classification. On the SF-36, score for bodily pain was not markedly different from that for age-matched controls. Among radiologic findings, level of distal fusion had no effect on the incidence or severity of LBP. Furthermore, preoperative Cobb angle, latest Cobb angle, and degenerative changes of subjacent segment each exhibited no correlation with degree of LBP, either. On the other hand, sagittal balance was a factor affecting LBP following scoliosis surgery. CONCLUSION: We evaluated long-term outcomes regarding LBP following scoliosis surgery. Regardless of residual back deformity, LBP was found to be no more frequent than in the normal population in Japan. Positive sagittal balance at the latest follow-up was a factor significantly contributing to LBP following scoliosis surgery.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
    CONCLUSION: We evaluated long-term outcomes regarding LBP following scoliosis surgery. Regardless of residual back deformity, LBP was found to be no more frequent than in the normal population in Japan. Positive sagittal balance at the latest follow-up was a factor significantly contributing to LBP following scoliosis surgery.
    I posted an article a while back showing no correlation between LBP and degree of correction which is what these guys find also. That suggests you shouldn't correct folks more than you have to if it entails more risk.

It seems like the master variable for LBP years after fusion just might be what they say... sagittal balance. That is what the new instrumentation is supposed to address in a far better way as I understand this. And yet there was that abstract from the recent SRS meeting about no apparently improvement over the old instrumentation. I think that is true for Harrington rods and T curves but I bet the new instrumentation is superior for L curves in the long run. That's my prediction.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      And yet there was that abstract from the recent SRS meeting about no apparently improvement over the old instrumentation.
      Hi Sharon...

Do you know in which paper that was stated? I was there, and don't recall hearing anything like that.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I just looked through the first half and didn't see it. I'll continue to look for it. It may have been in another place.

The point was there was no difference in some outcome measure between older and new instrumentation. Can't remember the specifics.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
        X