Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery time?

Hi folks,
    I would be interested in hearing from the post-op folks, if you would share the length of time your surgery took. I'm scheduled 4 November, I am accepting with everything except the length of time my surgeon predicts for the procedure. I may be worrying without cause but it would be a great help to my peace of mind to hear from others. I have already heard from Linda and her input was absolutely valuable.
    Thanks,
    SkiAnn
    Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo
    Instrumented Spinal Fusion ~ T 10 -S1

Hi SkiAnn,

I am just a little over 5 months post-op. My surgery took 22 hours. It was originally suppose to be 12 hours one day and 3 hours 4 days later. Instead, it was 14 hours the first day and 8 hours 4 days later. Theresa
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

SkiAnn,
      Recovery depends mainly on how conditioned your body is before surgery...How well you respond to pain, how extensive your surgery is..and if there are complications.......
      I had my surgery June 28th,,,exactly 5 weeks I felt great enough to drive and keep my active lifestyle...but I landed a complication that set me back...I am still on pain meds....but I pretty much do what I want...good luck
      CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
      fused T4 -L3
      Hip graft
      Grown 1 1/2 inches
      25/o upper T 15/o
      53/o T 15/o
      37/o L 6/o
      Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
      New York City

August 6, 2004
      Pulmonary Embolism
      complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
      increasing pain at the T4/5
      point irratation heardwear

Comment

Thanks so much for your input. Spincon ~ how long did your surgery last? Good to hear the positive on recovery.
        SkiAnn
        Gayle

November 4, 2004, 57 yo
        Instrumented Spinal Fusion ~ T 10 -S1

Comment

help is on the way

skiann,
          My surgery took five to six hours..but remember most of that time is spent when the surgeon and his team use for preparation and sterilzation.....The quicker the surgeon works on your back the less chances you have for infection or other complications....I was fused from T4 to L3...I have 3 pages of questions to ask the doc. if u need them..send me your addy...also spend time reading the archives of this forum..it is loaded with info....and use us for support..thats what its all about.....
          CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
          fused T4 -L3
          Hip graft
          Grown 1 1/2 inches
          25/o upper T 15/o
          53/o T 15/o
          37/o L 6/o
          Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
          New York City

August 6, 2004
          Pulmonary Embolism
          complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
          increasing pain at the T4/5
          point irratation heardwear

Comment

What is your back like?

SkiAnn,

Length of surgery depends on what shape your back is in and what all needs to be done.

I was 15 when first diagnosed and had severe curves even then. At that time in my life, I decided I would just live with my back. I had my first surgery at age 46. I had a slip and fall in a shower and that created a pain that just wouldn't go away.

I was told my surgery would take 10 hours and the plan was to fuse 9 discs. In reality, they got in there and after looking around ended up fusing 16 discs, from T1 to L4. It took 8.5 hours.

I was in the hospital for 18 days, 9 in the hospital and 9 in rehab. My only complication was a collapsed lung due to fluids. I was always showing low oxygen levels. Once they finally figured that out and drained a quart of fluid from my lung cavity, I got to go home.

I was doing fine, in a lot of pain because they did the hip graft and also removed a couple of ribs. That's where most of my pain came from, where they removed the ribs and my right hip area. Had I not fallen a week after coming home from the hospital, I believe I would have been in remarkable shape. But, s*** happens.

I finally had a second surgery this year to repair the damage I did by falling and am still recovering. Been bending too much, so probably have antagonized my back and the nerve endings.

Get in the best health you can prior to going in for surgery. Eat lots of protein, take plenty of vitamins (especially B vitamins and C for stress) because you will be putting your body through extreme stress. Build it up as best you can.

Best of luck!
            Christy
            Plano, TX
            Surgical dates
            3/25/02 - fused T1-L3, T - 88 degrees
            L - 74 degrees
            7/8/04 - repaired 6 areas of non-union & fused L3-L4
            12/15/05 - fused L4-L5, L5-S1
            2/27/06 - corrected hardware failure
            3/5/06 - corrected hardware issue
            6/16/06 - replaced broken screw in pelvis
            3/9/07 - rear ended auto collision
            2/12/09 - totaled car - someone pulled out in front of me - Yikes!
            3/30/09 - Revision surgery, removed & replaced t12through S1

Comment

Does anyone have an opiniion about Dr Alixis Shelakov as
              a surgeon in Plano, Tx. I tried to email csbaby to find her
              surgeon, but she has nixed e-mail. Kathleensrose

Comment

Hi Kathleen...

I don't know Dr. Shelokov, or any of his patients. I do know that he did a fellowship at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital.

There is one thing that concerns me about him. He's a great self promoter. Several years ago, he was featured in a human interest news story that was distributed nationally. It was a standard scoliosis fusion on a large curve in an adult. He was quoted as saying that he was one of just a few surgeons in the world who could do this procedure. That was the first warning. Then, I recently discovered that he's also purchased a link on Google. When one uses Google to search the word SCOLIOSIS, his comes up as the first sponsored link:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...is&btnG=Search

It's entirely possible that he's a great surgeon, but I'm afraid I wouldn't just take HIS word for it. :-)

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hi kathleen...my surgery was scheduled to last 8 hours and it really lasted 10 hours; i did not need thoracoplasty and they were able to harvest bone through the surgical incision. i think mine was a fairly "simple" surgery (if there is such a thing!).
                  Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
                  T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
                  Fused T3 - S1
                  Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
                  Dr. Robert G. Viere
                  North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Comment

Working...
                  X