tied my sneakers, yeah!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tied my sneakers, yeah!

As you can see from my signature, I fused down to my pelvis with anchors and all that, I've been going to therapy for the past month to get my legs strong and limber. Well it's been working because I was able to tie up my laces in my sneakers yesterday! I admit not very well yet, but I'll get there. Also about a week ago I was able to put on socks without using my sock dohingie (sp) thing, also not very well yet, but good enough! Now the trick is to keep up stretching the legs out at home as my therapy sessions are over, I am thinking of joining the gym where I did my therapy, they said they would watch me while I was using the machines. I don't know if I'll ever be able to give myself a pedicure or not, but I guess that will be a goal. I never thought I'd be able to even put socks on again.
    Dolores A
    June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
    June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
    Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
    NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Wow Dolores, you are doing great! I am 7 months post op and can barely put a sock on. I can't see me ever being able to cut my toenails. Though my flexibility is improving gradually, so maybe....

What leg exercises are you doing? Perhaps I need them too!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Yay! Congratulations on your milestone!
      Keep up the good work!
      ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
      Milwaukee brace 1967-1971 -- hated it!
      Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
      Now curve is T38*, L53*
      Surgery scheduled for 9/8/09

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

WOW! congratulations dolores...that is amazing! you should be very proud of how hard you have worked to be able to get to where you are right now!

i had no idea that someone fused to the pelvis could actually even REACH their shoes & socks!!

you have made such strides to this point..i know you will keep going until you are satisfied.

you are a fighter & a winner!

jess

Comment

Hi Dolores

You are doing good! I believe it was about 5-6 months till I could tie my shoes. Men are stiffer in the legs than women, so I used a stool about 30 inches tall to help push the foot up higher.

Trimming my toenails takes some effort, but I can do it with the step stool.
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

YEAH Dolores!!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Dolores,
              Good for you! It is such a comfort to know that you can get back some of those skills of taking care of oneself. There will be more to come as you get your flexibility back and the pain from the surgery lessens. If TiEd can cut his own toenails, then you will be able to also in good time. I find painting the toenails to be quite difficult so I stick with clear polish. Keep on healing.
              Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I do feel proud of myself! Jennifer, basically a lot of stretching to get the legs limber, one excersize that I found helpful is leaning on one of those big balls against a wall and doing slow squats. Also leg stretching in the bed, I can't do floor excersizes as they hurt my back, I'm going to see if I can get a floor mat.
                Dolores A
                June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
                June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
                Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
                NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Thanks Dolores. I will definitely try to do more stretches. They are obviously working for you!

I am hoping to go kayaking tomorrow for the first time. I have been told that I'll be wearing a life jacket from now on...which, given my attempts at swimming recently, is probably a good idea.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

i am still not able to tie shoes so i don't untie my sneakers and work at getting my feet into the sneaker. I put my socks on by leaning against a wall and bending my leg and then bringing it up as far as I can so that my back doesn't have to stretch as much. It works well for left foot but I can barely do the right side. It is very painful to do anything of that nature on the right side of my body.I have to use my left hand to take care of personal hygiene matters. My right hand or side does not reach where it needs to reach without enormous pain from stretching and that goes for putting a sock on or washing in the shower. I am thinking that part of my difficulty might be due to the fact that both of my hips have been replaced and my right knee is in bad shape even after synvisc injections and physical therapy. I once said that the only problem I didn't have was with my ankles but now my left ankle hurts when I go to shift gears in my car.
                    avis
                    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Working...
                    X