PDA

View Full Version : Log Rolling and Lower Back Spasms

lumbar3491
09-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Since my first of three recent spine surgeries, I have been in a variety of hospital beds. Each one has posed a different challenge in terms of getting out of bed. The bottom line is that I have failed Log Rolling 101. I can move my legs off the bed but haven't seemed to master pushing up my torso to a sitting position. The result is that I almost always have a painful lower back spasm.

Have any of your experienced this? Any helpful tips you can share?

Thanks

Karen

Singer
09-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Be sure your arms are doing the work and try to keep your back relaxed.

kt2009
09-23-2009, 08:44 PM
Well, I'm not exactly sure I mastered the log roll either! Because my surgery was in the lumbar area, I feel like I can sort of get away with kind of rolling and sitting up. My hernia repair kept me from really using my abs for a while.

I sleep on the right side (as I lay on the bed) of the bed and my incision was on the right side. What has helped is that I have a large night stand that is actually about 4 inches higher than my bed. I roll to my right and put my legs over. I prop myself up on my right elbow. Then I take my left hand, cross it over my body and push off of the table. Do you have a walker that you could put by the bed and push off of that?

Hope that helps.

titaniumed
09-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Hi Karen

When your legs are hanging off the edge, you should stiffen you legs and use the weight of your legs to act as a counterbalance, and pivot up using your arm. The pivot point being your butt. Thats how I did it alone.

Here is a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSCy9NSPj24&feature=PlayList&p=194A8CFCF86C4DFC&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=11

Good luck
Ed

titaniumed
09-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Here is a better video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffh4mUwtVhw&feature=related

Your hips need to be in the correct position on the bed before log rolling out. I would dig my heel into the edge of the bed and pull my hips closer to the edge of the bed while lying on my back. Its can be difficult in the beginning, but you will get the hang of it.

Ed

52skeedoo
09-24-2009, 11:48 AM
I agree with Ed's suggestions. The legs go down as the upper part goes up. The weight of the legs helps with getting the upper part upright. When I was in a hospital bed, I did use the railing to help me get right to the edge so that I was ready to go.

Watch that you don't twist too much by reaching too far across your body or by putting your legs over first. You want to keep your shoulders and hips aligned.

I'm sure you'll get it with practice.

Sheri

AustinPaula
09-24-2009, 02:03 PM
I was doing it wrong too, so the PT watched me. I was not getting the arm I was lying on underneath me enough to use as a good lever to push me up. After I learned to correctly position my lower arm (the side you are lying on to get up) I was able to get up with no problem and no back pain. The lower arm has to be straight down your side and back just a bit , and the elbow bent at 90 degrees so the forearm sticks out from underneath you in the direction you are facing. The elbow to wrist forearm is what you push up on using your upper arm to do the push up. If the lower arm is too far forward you don't get good leverage and end up using your back. Hope that helps.

lumbar3491
09-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. I am going to read through them again before I go to bed and see if I can improve my technique. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Karen

crystalalice88
09-24-2009, 04:59 PM
When i got home from the hospital, my bed was too cooshy to push down and lift myself up after log rolling. He tied a rope to the end of the bed and I pulled myself up that way. He did this to both ends of the bed so that I could log roll as well because the bed was too soft and i just sunk down in it.

lumbar3491
09-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Hi All

As the old expression goes, "practice makes perfect." Last night I looked at the excellent UTube video that Ed recommended. I also tried keeping my lower arm straight by my side. I put my legs over the side of the bed, keeping my stomach and butt muscles contracted. That helped, but I am still not there. Raising the top of the hospital bed up also helped, but I just don't seem to have enough strength in my upper body to get me easily to a sitting position without having lower back spasms (I had lumbar surgery). Tonight I will put my walker by the bed and see if I can use it to get some leverage to sit up. Unfortunately there is no dresser or other piece of furniture nearby that I can use.

Thanks for your support. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers!

Karen

loves to skate
09-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Hi All

As the old expression goes, "practice makes perfect." Last night I looked at the excellent UTube video that Ed recommended. I also tried keeping my lower arm straight by my side. I put my legs over the side of the bed, keeping my stomach and butt muscles contracted. That helped, but I am still not there. Raising the top of the hospital bed up also helped, but I just don't seem to have enough strength in my upper body to get me easily to a sitting position without having lower back spasms (I had lumbar surgery). Tonight I will put my walker by the bed and see if I can use it to get some leverage to sit up. Unfortunately there is no dresser or other piece of furniture nearby that I can use.

Thanks for your support. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers!

Karen

Hi Karen,
You might have to get some 1 or 2 pound hand weights and start strengthening your upper arms. Good luck.
Sally

dolores a
09-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Hi Karen, try not to get too frustrated -- I was very bad at log rolling after my surgery, but I did find it easier in my bed when I got home than in the hospital bed. I believe I might have pulled a muscle in my chest awhile back because I was so bad at it. It should soon become second nature to you hopefully.

lumbar3491
09-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks for your encouragement, Dolores. I'm glad I'm not the only person who finds this difficult. As some folks have suggested, putting my lower arm firmly under my body and using my upper arm to push up, has helped. I'm not there yet but see progress every day.

Cheers!

Karen

johnsonbunch
09-28-2009, 01:36 PM
I confiscated a bed bar from my eldelry aunt. It fits between the matress and box spring and gives you leverage in getting out of bed. I don't know how I would have managed without it. I'm more than 6 weeks post-op and I still use it. It's $89 online at http://www.bedbar.com, but maybe insurance would cover something like it as a medical supply?

lumbar3491
09-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks, so much, Sandy! The bed bar sounds like the perfect solution to my problem. I'm going to my MD tomorrow and will see if she can write a prescription for one. Getting out of bed is still one of the most difficult things I need to do. We had our surgeries around the same time, so it doesn't surprise me that we both have these issues.

Have a great day!

Karen

Shari
10-01-2009, 02:51 AM
Hi Karen,

The first couple of months I needed help getting up. I would put my legs slightly over the bed then my caregiver would put their right arm under my knees and with left hand pull me up with my left hand while I pushed with my right arm.

That's the way I was taught before leaving the hospital, and it does help yo not strain. I would log roll on to my left side. Hope this made sense.

Good luck, those muscle spasms suck!!!
Shari

lumbar3491
10-02-2009, 08:11 AM
Hi Shari

Thanks for sharing your log rolling technique. I was also taught the same technique in the hospital. At this point, I think my brain is quite clear on the technique. However, my body hasn't caught up with my brain. I'm fine up to the point where my legs are together over the side of the bed. Trying to lift my upper body without having one or more nasty spasms is still "a work in progress." They are truly painful!

Have a great day.

Karen

Shari
10-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Hi Karen,

Do you wear you're brace to bed, or do you not have to wear one? I wore mine to sleep in, I felt safer and it did help me to get up without straining any of my
my core muscle front or back.

We are all different, but I hated muscle spasms. And still do.

All my best, Shari

lumbar3491
10-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Hi Shari

I do wear a brace but not to bed. However, I had a particularly bad night last night with spasms that I may wear the brace tonight as per your suggestion. I'm off to see my surgeon today for my second post-op visit and will bring up the spasms with him. If he has anything pertinent to add to this discussion, I'll post it here.

Cheers!

Karen

dolores a
10-06-2009, 07:57 AM
Good luck Karen with your post-op visit, ask lots of questions, let us know what he says about the back spasms.

PNUTTRO
10-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Karen.

I had terrible back spasms after my most recent surgery. They would come on mostly when I was trying to get out of bed. The only thing that helped was muscle relaxers and lots of ice.

It may not be your technique. Your muscles are just mad. Best wishes.

p

lumbar3491
10-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Today I went to Dr. Lauerman for my 2nd post-op visit (5 weeks post op). I asked him about my nasty lower back spasms. Dr. L indicated that the spasms are pretty common and not to worry. He gave me a prescription for Flexoril, which I plan to take at bedtime. It is during the night or when I'm trying to log roll out of bed that I seem to get the spasms.

Other really good news at my appointment:
- My standing xray looked excellent
- I was given permission to drive (yippee!)
- I was given permission to resume my senior aquatics class
- I can now ride a stationary bike
- I no longer need to wear my brace in the house - just when I go outside.

This appointment definitely gave my morale a huge boost!

Take care

Karen

kt2009
10-06-2009, 07:23 PM
That's great news. Especially about the driving...I guess you're completely off the narcotics? I'm in the process of getting off the percocet and then I will be able to drive.

valleygirl
10-07-2009, 01:04 AM
Other really good news at my appointment:
- My standing xray looked excellent
- I was given permission to drive (yippee!)
- I was given permission to resume my senior aquatics class
- I can now ride a stationary bike
- I no longer need to wear my brace in the house - just when I go outside.

This appointment definitely gave my morale a huge boost!

Take care

Karen

Karen, that is a fabulous report! Good job. Glad to hear you are doing so well. Wonderful to be able to drive again (I am craving that freedom).

You also give me great hope. I go for my 6 week post op in 2 weeks and I'm anxious to get out of this brace. Having to not wear it in the house would be a great compromise to me. Congratulations.

lumbar3491
10-07-2009, 09:16 AM
I was thrilled to be able to drive again. However, I am still on narcotics. According to Dr. Lauerman, I'm on a pretty low dose of narcs right now and can drive with that level. I'm taking 2 oxycontin per day (12 hours apart) and 4 percocet (6-9 hours apart) 2 in the AM and 2 around dinner time. Right now I have no plans to drive far, just locally to get to medical appointments.

Last night I took Flexeril before going to bed. It definitely helped with the spasms. I did have one spasm as I was trying to log roll out of bed this morning, but it was less intense than before taking the Flexeril.

Have a great day!

Karen

Shari
10-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Congratulations on such great news!!!

You are doing so well, keep up the good work!

Shari

Vali
10-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Karen,
thats fantastic! Its amazing how just a little more freedom and restrictions lifted, light up your life. Keep up the good work!:)

asccbodypro
10-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Karen,

I was never very good at the log rolling in the beginning lol. Thank god for my husband. Even now it's half a roll. I'm sure the pillow top matress doesn't help me all that much either. I hope you find a solution that facilitates your getting in and out of bed easier! Good luck!!!!