Yoga after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoga after surgery

Hi everyone! I used to write on the non-surgical message board but now I;m here! I plan on having surgery with Dr. Boachie in January and I was wondering about physical activity after the surgery. How long into the recovery process can you resume working out? Is there anyone out there that does yoga and is it difficult to do once you have surgery? I'm currently in a yoga teacher training and plan on continuing with the training even through the recovery process (I won't be doing the poses physically while recovering) although, i would love to know if people found they have limitations with their practice after surgery. It is so nice to have this forum. I'm sure I'll be on here for quite awhile! : )

Hi lisa,
    I think a lot of your physical limitations will depend on how long/how low your fusion is. I was fused T3-L2 in June. At my 3 month appointment, I was cleared to do any physical activity I felt comfortable with, although he did warn me to be careful with team sports. Most people seem to be restricted for longer than that though. For the past 3 weeks I have been taking yoga twice a week. It is definitely a lot harder than it was pre surgery, but it is getting easier. Fortunately, yoga is one of those activities that really allows you to adapt your work out to your own needs. I may not be as flexible as the other people in my class, but it feels good to be there doing what I can. I find that I can follow along with the workout for most of the class because they generally give modifications that I can follow if I need to. Obviously, there are certain things I avoid all together like the wheel or any twisting poses. Other than that, I think I can at least attempt everything.

There are so many different types of yoga workouts out there. While you may not be able to do everything you can do now, you will probably be able to come up with some version of a yoga workout that works for you and your new back!
    Sarah
    22 year old grad student
    Boston brace from 12-14
    surgery on June 1, 2009 T3 to L2
    Yale New Haven Hospital Dr. Grauer
    Thoracic curve 47*
    Thoracolumbar curve 54*

Surgery Photos
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=a2a5799140

Comment

Thank you Sarah! I appreciate your response and it gives me hope! Your pics are amazing!!!! You look wonderful! Do you feel as wonderful as you look? I know this is horrible, but I was so preoccupied with all my questions for Dr. Boachie, I can't even remember the exact vertebraes he plans on fusing. I do know that he is not correcting my thoracic curve because he said it will correct itself once he fuses my lumbar area. He said I will be limited with side bending but will be able to fully bend foward. I never asked him about twisting. Hmmm, I'll have to remember next time I see him. Thanks again for your reply! It was very helpful! : )

Comment

Wow Jessica! Your back looks great! I love looking at before and after photos as well as post-op photos! They are very encouraging! What landed you in the hospital the second time? What caused that complication? Thanks for the advice on working out. I see what you mean about the reformer. I'm a pilates mat instructor and I have a very difficult time doing a lot of things on the mat now, so after surgery I think I'm steering clear of it. The reformer would definitely be a better option. It's reassuring to hear from other people how they got back to doing the things they did before surgery, obviously with modifications, but I do most things modified now because of my back. Thanks again Jessica. I hope the rest of your recovery goes well! Based on your pics, I'm sure it will! : )

Comment

I took yoga while I was 23-34 weeks pregnant. I was 2.5-3 years post op at the time. My instructor modified some of the movements for me and with other movements, I just moved as far as I could and stopped where I couldn't bend anymore. I used a ball for some movements that require bending forward. I felt great the entire time!

Comment

Hello Lisa7,

I am sending you a PM.
            T-6 to L-4 Zeilke/CD (Anterior/Posterior) procedures done at age 39in 1988 at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital by Dr. Jean Pierre Farcy.

Comment

Working...
            X