IVC filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IVC filter

My surgeon had an IVC (intra-vena cava) filter inserted in my main vein before surgery. He expected a 10 hr surgery and wanted it to catch any blood clots. It's a removable filter with a 6 week window for removal. Some people with clotting problems have permanent filters, but not me. I went in at the 5 week mark and it had started to attach itself to the vein. The doctor ended up using a larger catheter up the vein from the groin and still couldn't get it to flatten for removal. So a 2nd doctor ran a catheter down my jugular and they pulled from both ends to get it flat and basically "flossed" to get it loose and pull it out. I should have left outpatient 2 hrs later. But when I stood, blood poured out of the hole in my groin. They had me wait another 2 hours and same thing, my blood pressure plummeted and I almost passed out, so I spent the night in the hospital. That was Fri morning. It's midday Mon and it's still seeping slightly. I went back this morning for an ultrasound to be sure there was no venous damage, unusual clotting or internal bleeding. I'm fine, he attributes it to the big hole. How fun. My advice: if your doctor suggests an IVC filter, get it out asap!
    Here's a pic of the filter:
    http://www.stenting.ru/UserFiles/cava-filter.bmp

On another note, at 5 1/2 weeks post op I'm doing great otherwise!
    Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
    Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
    Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
    Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
    Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Hi Sandy, So sorry that you had a bad experience with the IVC Fileter coming out, I also had to have the IVC filter inserted. They put it in after my anterior surgery so that it would be there for the longer posterior surg. It was inserted through my groin. I don't remember when exactly I went for the removal, probably at about a month and a half. It was funny though because I had to go to pre-op before the removal procedure was done, I thought I remembered that the surgeon who put it in told me he would remove it via the neck, he explained that the shape of it is similar to the thing you play badmitten (sp) with and that it won't get caught on anything coming through the neck The people at pre-op said no, it will come out the same way it went in, through the groin, they gave me that special sponge and told me to use it in the groin area. Well obviously the surgeon knows best, it did come out through the neck, I used that sponge all over any way. Anyway, I hope you are feeling better!
    Dolores A
    June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
    June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
    Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
    NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Thanks for that link to see what this filter looks like, I pictured so different in my head!
      Dolores A
      June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
      June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
      Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
      NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Working...
      X