Cold weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold weather

I had my surgery March of this year and last night was the first night it has been chilly where we live (since my surgery). We were at a football game and I couldn't hardly tolerate the way I felt with a bar in my back with the cold weather. I know this sounds wierd, but it is possible that the bar gets "cold" inside my body? I'm just trying to get an idea what to expect this winter (when it gets really cold outside). Has anyone else had a really tough time dealing with the cold weather after their surgery?

Originally posted by nervous View Post
    I had my surgery March of this year and last night was the first night it has been chilly where we live (since my surgery). We were at a football game and I couldn't hardly tolerate the way I felt with a bar in my back with the cold weather. I know this sounds wierd, but it is possible that the bar gets "cold" inside my body? I'm just trying to get an idea what to expect this winter (when it gets really cold outside). Has anyone else had a really tough time dealing with the cold weather after their surgery?
    We've had quite a few conversations on this topic. I've heard some claim that it's not possible for the metal to make you cold.

First of all, I have ALWAYS hated to be cold, but last winter (my first since fused) I ABSOLUTELY HATED it, more than ever before. I could not tollerate being cold. For one thing--if I was cold, I'd shiver. At that time (3-5 months post op), if I shivered, it hurt. Secondly, if I shivered too long, I'd end up getting muscle spasms and be in pain for a week or longer.

I don't know if it will be any better for me this year, but I sure hope so.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Rachel

You are about 6 months post now, I hope things are well and improving.

That cold weather after scoli surgery is definitely an issue, and that's coming from a skier!!! Man-o-man!

I was seriously thinking about moving south, but now, those thoughts have diminished. I'm 20 months post now, and even the "bear traps" are tapering off.

This is a multi year recovery..........

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi....

The year after I had my surgery, I was in Chicago for a visit in Fall, when the weather turned really cold. I couldn't believe how stiff I got when I had to be outside. I think it was muscular. I've gotten cold many times since then, and have never had the same reaction. So, hopefully, this is a short-term problem for you.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I have a problem with cold weather as it is, so not looking forward to the winter months, guess I'll stock up on plenty of wooly sweaters and layer underneath.
          Dolores A
          June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
          June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
          Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
          NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

I hate the cold so much since my surgery that I can't even stand air conditioning anymore. I've turned into one of those little ladies you see in resturants with a cardigan sweater permanently draped around their shoulders, LOL.
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

The older I get, the less I like the cold. Post surgery, I really dread the cold weather as I get cold and I can't get warm. Get yourself an electric blanket or and electric mattress pad. That is the only way I can get warm enough to sleep at night. Good luck.
              Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Sally, you made me laugh. We are all so different! I get so hot when I sleep that I often kick my blanket off in the winter and just sleep with my sheet. For some reason I can be freezing when I go to bed, but as soon as I start sleeping, my body temp changes or something.

I DO get cold outside in the winter doing recess duty though. My back tightens up and it feels like my spine/rods are chilled. I know there were some who said it wasn't possible, but I know I feel cold in my back... and people who have had broken bones and other problems feel the cold too. It's livable though. Just nice to get inside and get warmed up again.
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks so much for the responses! I had no idea prior to having this surgery how much the cold would impact my back. I was cold again today and I swear it's like the bar inside me is freezing and it really hurts to shiver! Wow - definitely not looking forward to this winter-time! Maybe it's time for me to consider living in Arizona~ seriously!

Comment

Hi Nervous,
                    I had my surgery on the first day of winter (Australia). Now... I really hate the cold weather but could get by with sleeping with a nightie, however after surgery, i got out my european thermals and flannelette pjs. We have been having atrocious weather here (which is good because we haven't seen decent rains for a few years- we were on water restrictions), but I can tell you if its going to rain within the next 24hours, because it feels like i have a corset on and someone is pulling the strings very tight! I thought this was an old wives tale or a psychological thing, but no its not! I can vouch for that. My husband also calls me 'the weather station'!
                    Vali
                    44 years young! now 45
                    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                    Post -op - 5 degrees
                    T11 - S1 Posterior
                    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

val..i believe it is the barometer dropping when rain is coming that causes it...with arthritis i could always tell when it was going to rain..& my statistics are far better than the weather man's!!

jess

Comment

It is just now starting to get cool in here in Maryland. Until my surgery at the end of August, I was one of those people who couldn't wait for the the cool weather to arrive. Well, that has changed dramatically. From the messages in this thread, I can see that I am not alone.

My internal thermostat seems to be completely wacko. I'm not sure at this point in time that the weather outside has much to do with how cold I get. Typically, I am freezing cold when I go to bed at night but wake up boiling hot in the middle of the night. Mini versions of this go on during the day as well. So I alternate between wearing a winter jacket and summer t-shirt in the house.

Karen
                        Karen, 66 years "young"
                        Polio at 6
                        Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
                        Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
                        Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
                        Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
                        Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                        Three surgeries in one week:
                        8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
                        8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
                        9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Comment

Originally posted by lumbar3491 View Post
                          It is just now starting to get cool in here in Maryland. Until my surgery at the end of August, I was one of those people who couldn't wait for the the cool weather to arrive. Well, that has changed dramatically. From the messages in this thread, I can see that I am not alone.

My internal thermostat seems to be completely wacko. I'm not sure at this point in time that the weather outside has much to do with how cold I get. Typically, I am freezing cold when I go to bed at night but wake up boiling hot in the middle of the night. Mini versions of this go on during the day as well. So I alternate between wearing a winter jacket and summer t-shirt in the house.

Karen
                          Karen,

If you're still on pain meds, your internal thermostat is probably screwed up from that for one. Once you are off meds though, that will be a different story and you can see how you tolerate the cold. I've always hated cold, but since the surgery I DETEST it!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

cold and muscle spasms

Yes I too get very stiff in cold weather. I was told by my Primary Care Doctor that it is probably muscle spasms. I miss alot of work in the cold winter months because of it. Sometimes I can't get from a standing position to a lying position in bed without really bad pain. Feels like I am breaking in half (down by my lower back).

I just started having the problem after my 2nd surgery which now I am fused T3 to S1. Before I was T4 to L4. So most likely it is because of the lower fusion.

Comment

Working...
                            X