Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one for the ladies

To all post-oppys,
    I know this has been mentioned before, but cannot find the thread. Anyone have advice regarding intimacy, PM's welcome.
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

I would wait 2-4 weeks, depending on your comfort level. Chances are you'll start your menstrual cycle after the surgery (most do). You'll also have numbness in most of your torso, possibly including your chest and butt, so it may be less than stellar for you. Spooning may be most comfortable if you can lay on your side. Use plenty of pillows. Be sure your partner keeps his weight off you for lying positions. Try whatever is most comfortable as you heal.
    Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
    Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
    Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
    Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
    Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

2-4 weeks! Blimey, you're keen Sandy!

I always think that where there's a will, there's a way. For me there wasn't any will for quite a long time, so there was no way!

Sorry, I'm not being very helpful, am I?
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I also chuckled at 2-4 weeks. It was a looooooong time before anything was attempted in my house. Months. Months and months.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

6 weeks was definitely too soon, but the Dr. said it was ok, so we went for it. By the time things seemed 'back to ALMOST normal', must have been 6 months.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

We too were at the 6 weeks mark. It is a little awkward but if you are careful nothing hurts. A lot of your body is still numb so lower your expectations for a while. You will be able to tell what you can and cannot do fairly quickly. Just go slow and be careful and you will be fine.
            Paula

June 15, 2009 Posterior Fusion T4-L5
            Thorasic: 48° --> 8°
            Lumbar: 65° --> 8°
            Dr. Von Rueden Austin, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by johnsonbunch View Post
              I would wait 2-4 weeks, depending on your comfort level. Chances are you'll start your menstrual cycle after the surgery (most do). You'll also have numbness in most of your torso, possibly including your chest and butt, so it may be less than stellar for you. Spooning may be most comfortable if you can lay on your side. Use plenty of pillows. Be sure your partner keeps his weight off you for lying positions. Try whatever is most comfortable as you heal.

I see that you are one month post-op. Is this something your doctor has cleared you to resume?
              Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Yes. He cleared me for "activity" and driving at 3 weeks, and I can return to work part time if I choose. Still no lifting or vacuuming til the 3 month mark.
                Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
                Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
                Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
                Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
                Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

Thanks ladies for your replies. I must admit this turned out to be informative and hilarious. I absolutely cracked up laughing at your smilies Jen.
                  Vali
                  44 years young! now 45
                  Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                  Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                  St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                  Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                  Post -op - 5 degrees
                  T11 - S1 Posterior
                  L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Working...
                  X