Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrating

I'm in my fourth week of recovery.

I have a bit of arthritis in my right hand. In the last 24 hours, the pain in my hand has become excruciating - I can barely use it. I had to have a neighbor come over to open my pill bottles. I am so frustrated - was doing so well and now feel doubly helpless.
    I think I strained my hand using it to prop myself up and to get up from couch etc. has this ever happened to anyone else?

So sorry that you are so uncomfortable, but don't feel too down. This is all a normal part of recovery. When we try to compensate for one thing, we tend to over-use something else. I didn't hurt my wrist but my poor right knee (which had arthritis anyway) become SO swollen and painful from all the squatting I was trying to do that I had to ice it down and wrap it in a knee support. I decided that it was sort of funny that I had to take the pain meds for my knee instead of my back.

You body is just telling you that you will need to vary the way you do things until you get stronger.

Hope your wrist is better soon.

Sheri
    At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
    Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
    Excellent correction

Comment

I dont know if this will help but. One day my hand was hurting so bad too, and after a couple days it wouldnt heal up. So when i went to the chiropractor i told him and he adjusted my hand. Then later on that day the pain totally went away.
      -Bethany
      pre-op L 74*
      pre-op Th 56*
      surgery scheduled for jan. 6th 2010
      getting nervous

Comment

I didn't have that but I remember everything at 4 weeks still hurting. It doesn't help that the parts of us that work have to make up for the parts that don't - then they wear out too. I hope you have gotten some relief from your wrist pain and your back is still progressing. This feels like a long slog and I often have to remind myself - left foot right foot left foot ....

Just wanted to say I am empathizing with you if that helps at all. Hopefully a year from now this will all be humorous to look back on.
        Paula

June 15, 2009 Posterior Fusion T4-L5
        Thorasic: 48° --> 8°
        Lumbar: 65° --> 8°
        Dr. Von Rueden Austin, Texas

Comment

Hi Zoee, I didn't hurt my hand, but I did pull a muscle in my chest doing the log roll early on, probably at about a month and half. It hurt so bad, I thought I had pneumonia or something -- realized it had to be that I pulled it. Hope your feeling better soon!
          Dolores A
          June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
          June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
          Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
          NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Working...
          X