A bit of an update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit of an update

I hesitate to say this (KNOCK ON WOOD) but I'm feeling really good lately. And I think it has a LOT to do with the fact that I'm back at my exercise class 2x a week. Since I started work at the end of May, I've been exhausted--too tired to force myself to go to exercise for the first month or two. Plus the stress of the job had my back spasming up like crazy. Lately I've been getting more used to the routine. For the last month, I've gone to my class 2x a week, plus walking a few times per week. I'm feeling GREAT! I think just getting myself moving, and those muscles back there stretched out, has me doing really good.

This is a reason I can't stop now. My husband has even commented on how good he thinks I'm doing. The other night I was bending into the fridge, looking for God knows what. I wasn't even thinking about what I was doing. He couldn't believe that I was able to be in that position without even noticing that I was uncomfortable.

I'm just about at my 11 month mark. I forget who told me how much improvement they had from 9-18 months--was it Ed? I'm really starting to believe it. Sometimes I totally forget that I'm not 'normal.' That makes me so happy.

Thanks for listening to me brag. I guess I'm proud of myself. I can only hope that this will inspire someone who is still waiting for their surgery. I know how much these types of stories helped me when I was waiting.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Thanks for listening to me brag. I guess I'm proud of myself. I can only hope that this will inspire someone who is still waiting for their surgery. I know how much these types of stories helped me when I was waiting.

Great to hear! I don't think it's bragging Debbe, simply stating the truth and showing that a great result can come of this much-feared surgery. For newcomers venturing down the scoli-surgery road, this news is very encouraging.

I've often had the urge to talk about how good I'm feeling but for those who're not having such a great recovery, it seems cruel. However, for those still considering taking the plunge, it needs to be said that some people are fortunate enough to recover well.

It hasn't been all smooth for me, after the "withdrawals" and 6 weeks of dizziness, but since 3 months post-op, I've pretty much felt back to normal. Not a skerrick of pain, not even the old arthritis pain (anybody know what happens to that?) flexibility improving all the time, energy levels back to normal, able to do pretty much anything except lift and carry loads over 10 kilos. I can lift and carry my youngest grandaughter! I'm thrilled with my result and I feel very lucky.

Sometimes I feel that familiar old shiver down my spine when I remember it's not over quite yet. My surgeon tells me I won't be fully fused for at least another 6 months. Fingers crossed my luck continues. For you too!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Debbe,

Its about time! LOL

I'm out here in Kona humping heavy tanks and scuba gear across lava to go diving.I'm doing this while breathing VOG, you know, the volcanic gasses from the volcano? Man-o-man, its real healthy stuff.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vog

I flew up to Honolulu to visit a friend and I slept on the floor for 2 nights in a row.
      I think sleeping on the floor is an acid test. Its something I haven't done in quite some time.

The back has held up quite well. Its been a tough vacation. LOL
      BTW Geish flew out here today.
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Debbe, you brag girl, you deserve it! Also it's good for anyone considering this surgery and us that are in early recovery to read that it is going to get better as the months go by. I know each of us heal at different paces, and some might have other issues along with just healing, but it does help to read of someone's progress to make us take stock and realize that it not going to happen over night, it does take time and to try and be patient. I'm so happy for you, and glad to hear that your excersize class is helping. What kind of class are you taking? I just started therapy and can see that it helps, but I am going to have to discipline myself to do these at home!
        Dolores A
        June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
        June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
        Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
        NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Debbe! So happy for you!

This surgery is amazing. The surgeons are amazing.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post

Great to hear! I don't think it's bragging Debbe, simply stating the truth and showing that a great result can come of this much-feared surgery. For newcomers venturing down the scoli-surgery road, this news is very encouraging.

I've often had the urge to talk about how good I'm feeling but for those who're not having such a great recovery, it seems cruel. However, for those still considering taking the plunge, it needs to be said that some people are fortunate enough to recover well.

It hasn't been all smooth for me, after the "withdrawals" and 6 weeks of dizziness, but since 3 months post-op, I've pretty much felt back to normal. Not a skerrick of pain, not even the old arthritis pain (anybody know what happens to that?) flexibility improving all the time, energy levels back to normal, able to do pretty much anything except lift and carry loads over 10 kilos. I can lift and carry my youngest grandaughter! I'm thrilled with my result and I feel very lucky.

Sometimes I feel that familiar old shiver down my spine when I remember it's not over quite yet. My surgeon tells me I won't be fully fused for at least another 6 months. Fingers crossed my luck continues. For you too!
            Jen,

I'm so happy you're doing well too. You say how great you have felt since 3 months--who could really ask for more? 3 month of recovery is nothing for what we've gone through. I notice the flexibility improving too (ex. my refrigerator story), where sometimes I do thing without even thinking that I couldn't just a few months ago.

How much does the granddaughter weigh? Not that I'm going to be carrying kids around any time soon, but I love to grab a baby when I get a chance, and my best friend is expecting now.

Congrats on your recovery too!

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
              Debbe,

Its about time! LOL

I'm out here in Kona humping heavy tanks and scuba gear across lava to go diving.I'm doing this while breathing VOG, you know, the volcanic gasses from the volcano? Man-o-man, its real healthy stuff.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vog

I flew up to Honolulu to visit a friend and I slept on the floor for 2 nights in a row.
              I think sleeping on the floor is an acid test. Its something I haven't done in quite some time.

The back has held up quite well. Its been a tough vacation. LOL
              BTW Geish flew out here today.
              Ed
              SLEPT ON THE FLOOR???? OMG Ed, you're amazing. It will not be the test for me, because it will NEVER HAPPEN!!! I'm glad you can do all the things you love. For me, things that I love aren't generally that strenuous.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Comment

Originally posted by dolores a View Post
                Hi Debbe, you brag girl, you deserve it! Also it's good for anyone considering this surgery and us that are in early recovery to read that it is going to get better as the months go by. I know each of us heal at different paces, and some might have other issues along with just healing, but it does help to read of someone's progress to make us take stock and realize that it not going to happen over night, it does take time and to try and be patient. I'm so happy for you, and glad to hear that your excersize class is helping. What kind of class are you taking? I just started therapy and can see that it helps, but I am going to have to discipline myself to do these at home!
                Hi Dolores,

you're right. Even though I did very well early on, there were still roadblocks in the recovery and it's good to see slow, steady progress. After all, I'm not a spring chicken, like my friend's 13 year old daughter who had the surgery and was back at school a month later. OMG those kids amaze me.

I'm taking an aerobic dance class. Kind of not very 'in' anymore, but I love it. It's very dancy, which I enjoy. I can get myself to walk at home, but I never want to do anything else. Good luck with your therapy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                  Debbe! So happy for you!

This surgery is amazing. The surgeons are amazing.
                  Thanks Sharon,

When is daughter #2 scheduled? She'll be in my thoughts. I'm sure she will come through with flying colors just like daughter #1.

Comment

Debbe--

Thanks for sharing the good news. It's so nice to hear you're feeling good, and especially about the increased flexibility!

Mary Ellen

Comment

Thanks Debbe. My youngest grandaughter, Thalia, is 9 kilos. Two days before I went on hols, my surgeon told me I could lift and carry 10 kilos, provided I kept it close to my body. I kept my suitcase under the 10 kilos, which is just as well because on Tioman, we had to carry our cases over a mountain on a path through jungle, when the sea was too rough for the water taxi to get in, to take us to the airport.

Comment

Jenn--

OMG ! Less than 6 months' post-op and you carried your luggage over a mountain and through the jungle? You are inspiring.
                        Congratulations on the new grandbaby.

Ed--

Sleeping on the floor? Well, it is Hawaii. I might sleep on the floor if I could only find a way to Hawaii.

Debbie --

I'm glad you started this thread. It is good to hear how well people are doing.

Sheri
                        At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
                        Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
                        Excellent correction

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                          Thanks Debbe. My youngest grandaughter, Thalia, is 9 kilos. Two days before I went on hols, my surgeon told me I could lift and carry 10 kilos, provided I kept it close to my body. I kept my suitcase under the 10 kilos, which is just as well because on Tioman, we had to carry our cases over a mountain on a path through jungle, when the sea was too rough for the water taxi to get in, to take us to the airport.
                          OMG Jen, your over-the-mountain-and through-the-woods story sounds as crazy to me as Ed sleeping on the floor!!! What a woman.

Comment

Woops! It was only a small mountain!

It did worry me a tad, carrying it so far, but a taxi awaited us at the bottom of the other side to take us to the airport and since then (2 weeks ago) I haven't had so much as a twinge, so I think I got away with it.

Ed, have you seen Geish? I hope all goes well for her in Hawaii. Sounds like a fantastic sea-change!

Comment

Jen

No I have not. She moved to Maui and I did not go there on this trip. I have been on the big island and took a short hop over to Honolulu (Oahu) for 3 days. I landed and kept humming the theme song to Hawaii-5-O. Did they air that in Australia years ago?

Anyway, I will visit her next year and get her diving.

This trip was way overdue for me. With all the surgeries I had, it was impossible.Divers have to wait 3 months after surgeries or there can be a host of medical problems.

I fly home in 2 more days.

Aloha
                              Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X