ouch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ouch!

My back has not stopping stinging and tearing/pulling all day long at the top of the rods.....last week it felt like something ripped in that area. I have no idea what's going on. Any input as to what it may be? On a pain scale of 1-10 it's about a 6 1/2. I woke up feeling really good and within the hour it started. UGH! I am so ready to be healed and over this pain in the a$$ problems!
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Hi...

Have you called to see if your surgeon can see you? It's probably nothing, but could be something like an implant failure. New pain during early recovery is usually nothing to worry about, but if the pain persists, it's worth a trip to the surgeon's office.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Good luck Susan. Any improvement?
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Linda,

You are right about telling my surgeon, which I have done but it seems the farther out from surgery I get he is less concerned about my pain. When I had the problem with my shoulder he brushed it off. I see him in October which is still a few weeks away. I'll give it until monday and see how I feel and go from the there.

Jen,

Thanks! Trying to feel better!
        Susan

Comment

Originally posted by asccbodypro View Post
          Linda,

You are right about telling my surgeon, which I have done but it seems the farther out from surgery I get he is less concerned about my pain. When I had the problem with my shoulder he brushed it off. I see him in October which is still a few weeks away. I'll give it until monday and see how I feel and go from the there.

Jen,

Thanks! Trying to feel better!
          What's the problem with your shoulder Susan? I don't know if you saw any of my posts regarding my frozen shoulder as a result of the surgery. Also, another friend from this forum has a shoulder problem as a result of the surgery. I guess it's more common than we think. We're laying in one position for a long time, they have to move us into different positions, which might cause problems. For me, shoulder physical therapy helped tremendously.

I hope the top of the rod pain is nothing.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Jen,

About 2 weeks ago I rolled over in bed and felt a tearing/ripping sensation that was extremely painful. There has also been a lump at the top of the rod that extends towards my shoulder blade. Now it's starting on my other rod and also another spot a little bit further down my back. My husband noticed these new spots last night. My surgeon thought maybe it might be a bursa and if so they can inject them. With what I have no idea. I see him in October so I guess we'll see. He wasn't overly concerned about the pain and location. At the time I really didn't appreciate his lack of concern. I had a CT scan at 3 months and fusion looks good, he was happy with how things have progressed. Time will tell. I really have had a tough week. The weather has been rainy and that makes me ache. Never thought at 37 I would say the weather bothers my back but low and behold here I am saying it! Dam, what next!
            Susan

Comment

That's tough Susan. Sorry to hear it. I know in those early months every little zap, every little ache, brings concern that something's gone wrong, so I'm sure continuing pain is debilitating mentally as well as physically. I hope your appt. is early October.

I had some soreness from lumps and bumps at the top of my rods. My surgeon simply said, "It's your rods and screws" as if that was an explanation! They seem to have their own manner of speaking, don't they?! But the soreness has long gone. So many of these things come good in their own time. I really hope this is the case for you but if not, I hope you get a full explanation for your pain and expectation of effective treatment. You are already fusing so at least that part is going well.

Keep us up with how you're going.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Jennifer,

I'm sure your right. It's the not knowing and feeling like everytime you make head way your take steps backwards. That's what's the most frustrating. I am trying to hang in there. I am trying to keep looking forward and thinking of the day when this is a distant memory. Thank you for the encouragement. Sometimes that's the best one can ask for
                Susan

Comment

Susan

It does take a long time for everything to settle with these surgeries. I was posting that everything was great at 5 mos, in reality, I was probably spiking 5 or 6 level pain at the peaks. Its an up and down type of recovery, with good days and bad days. The surgeons know this and will kind of shrug it off since they hear it so much. With more time, things will get better. It took me a full year to get back to where I was before I started pain wise, then had great improvement to 16 mos post. My shoulder PT helped considerably.

After a surgery is completed, surgeons don't like re-operating so soon and will want to wait if possible. I thought I had an incisional hernia after a few months, and my vascular surgeon told me that there was no way he was going back in so soon. It turned out to be my gall bladder.

More than likely, its scar tissue that's pulling and tearing. It will subside.Try to hang in there, and take it easy.
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Susan,
                    Sorry to read that you're still having some bad days. Do you think it may be the weather? I used to think it was all psychological, however, I have noticed that I feel as if I'm in a corset and someone is pulling it tight, everytime rain is due! Hang in there, be your own personal trainer and think positive.
                    Vali
                    44 years young! now 45
                    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                    Post -op - 5 degrees
                    T11 - S1 Posterior
                    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Vali,

Thanks for be a good cheerleader :O) We had very rainy weather this week and I do think that played into. No doubt about it.

Ed,

Your right as far as healing. I'm sure in time things will get much better. I guess I just have my moments of panic that I won't progress pass this point and I think of my kids and I don't want them to always remember me being in pain and not doing the activities that they enjoy.

Now I need to vent though because once again my surgeons office screwed up my prescription. At least 6 times they have done this and my patience is wearing thin with them. Hopefully they will address this asap in the morning or I'm in trouble! They screwed up one med so I just stopped taking it which I guess was a blessing in disguise. If they keep it up I will be off all my meds soon! I'm sick of residents screwing things up while I'm suppose to be patient and nice....not happening today lol!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend out there.
                      Susan

Comment

Working...
                      X