Oxycontin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxycontin

I know other people have posted similar questions, but I thought I'd ask again -
    I am four weeks out today from t-10 to sancrum posterior surgery. I am still on the slow release oxycontin 10 mgs every 12 hours and percoset as needed (not every day). I'm also on Lyrica because I was getting nerve pain all down one leg (the leg which is numb).
    My question is - how do you know when to wean off the oxycontin? and is it hard to do?

Zoee,

I am 4 months post op and still on my oxy and don't feel ready to ween off. I must say though that I don't think the meds are really working for the pain that I do have. I think my body has gotten use to the meds. I am waiting for my doc to lower the dose slowly so I don't get sick. You are still so early out I wouldn't worry about weaning off yet unless you really feel that you are ready. Remember, everyone is so different. It's hard to compare yourself to others.....I do that to myself all the time and I cause myself more frustration than needed. Good luck!
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

I was on a much larger dose than you (40 mg x 2 daily) also 8 quick acting Endones per day. I weaned off the Endones at 6 weeks and began weaning off the Oxy at about 7 weeks, if I remember correctly.

Wean off very slowly but don't cut your Oxycontins in half, get a script for a reduced dose then space them out further and further each day.

It's still early days for you. Good luck!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Zoee,
        I was on Endone 5mg x 6 hourly or as required, I was not in a lot of pain just discomfort and therefore decided to quit the pain meds of day 15 post-op. I feel that only you can say when your ready to come off the meds, however, get some advice. I did the silly thing of just stopping them. Three nights I woke up in a sweat, sometimes when stnding i would get dizzy. I put this down to my body re-adjusting after surgery, but at my post-op appt at 8 weeks, my surgeon told me it was withdrawal symptoms! Withdrawals after 15 days? Best wishes on your recovery.
        Vali
        44 years young! now 45
        Surgery - June 1st, 2009
        Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
        St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
        Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
        Post -op - 5 degrees
        T11 - S1 Posterior
        L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Zoee,

I actally have a question abot your leg pain.. I am 13 days post op and about day 11 I started having really bad pain down my right leg....the same side as my anterior incision. I have it when I stand up...pain down my thigh and behind my knee. After I walk around, it sort of goes away. But right know it's bothering me more than my back.
          Kathy, 43
          Diagnosed as a teen
          Boston brace 2 years
          63 degree lumbar curve
          Surgery August 26, 2009
          Anterior approach fused T12-L4
          now 28 degrees

Comment

oxcontin - leg pain

Hi Kathy-
            I started having leg pain a week after surgery. It started as high as my hip and could travel all the way down to my foot - cramping aching and tingling. and my leg is number from knee down. went to doctor and described this -- he said it was nerve pain so he prescribed Lyrica which has helped immensely.

hope this helps!

Comment

I had a side lateral approach for my disc removal and my left leg was very weak and sore for a while. I don't think mine lasted long but it did hurt in the beginning. It will go away though. Hang in there!
              Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
              50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
              Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
              X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
              Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
              Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
              Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoee View Post
                I know other people have posted similar questions, but I thought I'd ask again -
                I am four weeks out today from t-10 to sancrum posterior surgery. I am still on the slow release oxycontin 10 mgs every 12 hours and percoset as needed (not every day). I'm also on Lyrica because I was getting nerve pain all down one leg (the leg which is numb).
                My question is - how do you know when to wean off the oxycontin? and is it hard to do?
                I had a bit of a hard time getting off the slow release ones. If you don't get any symptoms, try going to one per day. If you do get withdrawl symptoms, see what the Dr. recommends. I went back to 3 a day of the short acting pills, and then GRADUALLY increased the time between pills for each doseage, even if were just by 10 or 15 minutes each dose. That way, I had fewer withdrawls.

I wasn't totally off until 3 months post-op.

Good luck,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Pain meds

I have not had surgery nor will I. I find that 2 - 20mg Oxycontin (and at times 3) ... take the EDGE off and allow me to somewhat function. But I am still off of work and only 35yrs old.
                  Mild symmetric disc bulging L-3-L4 and L4-L5. Mild to moderate left facet joint osteoarthritis L-3-L4. Thoracolumbar rotoscoliosis. And some more. More too! When people tell me their back hurts and their back in perfectly normal I smile.

Comment

My experience-use a pain doc if the surgery is very extensive

I was advised on another forum to use a pain doc and I did so as soon as I went home. I was in a rehab hosp for a couple of weeks and pain control was good there. A pain doc will fine tune your pain control as you heal and substitute non-opioids and other alternatives when ready. Healing from this type of surgery is long and after my revision I was off opioids after 3 months but other alternatives (gabapentin) were used and helpful. It was 18 months before I was off Tylenol or Aleve.

Inadequate pain relief inhibits healing, activity and immunity.
                    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

zoee, how is your flexibility?

rich

Comment

I was on oxy 2 times a day when I came home from the hospital with precocet every 4-6 hours. I remember at 4 weeks post op I weaned off the oxy for the first time and thought I was going to die. I wanted to crawl out of my skin. It scared me so much that I immediately went to oxy every other day and was done with it at 8 weeks post op. I relied on percocet and night time muscle relaxor until 12 weeks post op. Now I am on vicodin 5mg 3 x a day. Talk to your doc about med options because oxy is no joke it is so addicting. Good luck, Kristi

pre-op curves 75/64
                        post fusion with thoracoplasty and osteotomy
                        post op curve 18/9.

Comment

what a change - am now at 3 x 80mg Oxy + 4 x 10mg Instant release.

This took several months to get to these levels. And my pain is all but gone. The only catch is that upon trying to do the normal things I once did and specifically ..... after 20+ minutes of walking and I need to rest. the pain meds are not effective. Until I rest and allow my body to reset.

Otherwise, it has saved me.

Originally posted by Scoliosis Hurts View Post
                          I have not had surgery nor will I. I find that 2 - 20mg Oxycontin (and at times 3) ... take the EDGE off and allow me to somewhat function. But I am still off of work and only 35yrs old.
                          Mild symmetric disc bulging L-3-L4 and L4-L5. Mild to moderate left facet joint osteoarthritis L-3-L4. Thoracolumbar rotoscoliosis. And some more. More too! When people tell me their back hurts and their back in perfectly normal I smile.

Comment

Working...
                          X