Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if I make my own Scoliosis Traction Chair??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if I make my own Scoliosis Traction Chair??

Hi.

Welp did a recent google search to find out about the CLEAR Institute and the treatment that they offer.

Found a place that's in North Hollywood, 40 miles north of where I reside. However it only offer's standard treatment and my insurance will not pay for treatment nor do I have thousands of dollars to make another attempt at treating my back without surgery.

I have a 45 lumbar curve and a 55 thoracic curve. Im 21.

So seeing their video online it looks awesome, like some of it would really help, and a great idea.
    I really like the idea of using the head haltar while rotating the torso with the ratchets. looks really really comfortable haha seriously tho.

I also took note of the dramatic sound effects and video editing to try and sell their product to the max, again Im not financially able to pump thousands of $ to make a run at this treatment.
    Its freaking ridiculous that I can go out and get my insurance to pay for thousands of dollars of Oxycontin but not this type of treatment. Thats besides the point tho.

So sitting here with these emotions and thoughts, i figure what if I made my own Scoliosis Traction Chair?

using this 35$ Cervical Traction Set for the head halter http://www.alimed.com/Alimed/product...,18113,278.htm

using these 20$ ratchets (that are offered for 250$ on CLEAR's site)
    http://www.slacklineexpress.com/cata...products_id=56

and then adding my own chair, metal, and plastic/fabric pieces connecting to the ratchets?

Then use it whenever I'm at home, on the computer/TV/Xbox whatever, so all the gravity is reversed while I'm still able to use my muscles normally upright.

This is what their Scoliosis Traction Chair's look like:
    http://www.vibeforhealth.com/Product...=&prdtImgfile=

Am I completely crazy or am I on to something?

Thoughts?

Any replies much appreciate in advance, thanks.
    -Tyler

Be careful, you don't want to inujure yourself. Unless you are an engineer in medical equipment the chances are you just might cause damage to your body. But, it is your choice, let me know how it works
    45L/40T
    Surgery 25/1/2010
    Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Hi Tyler,

I have a son just about your age with a biggish thoracic curve (somewhere between 47 and 59).

I've seen a lot of promise in exercise - there are at the least short term reductions in curves through fairly simple methods of stretching and strengthening. Whether that leads to long term reductions is still out to jury, but if you're in the midst of watching to see whether or not your curve progresses it's certainly worth a shot. At the very least, it should keep your curves more flexible and help with some of the pain issues.

You might try to find out about the simpler (no-traction devices required) methods. I know that the people associated with the Schroth method have a book, and the person associated with yoga and scoliosis has a video.

I had a visceral reaction against the Clear stuff for some reason, which may not be warranted, but there are a lot of shysters in this area just because there are so many people sitting on their hands waiting for their curve to progress.

Comment

My sister is a doctor who had a patient come in to see her with a 35 degree curve that was unsymptomatic. (She was trying to make me feel better when my daughter was initially diagnosed). My sister then told me that someone was trying to sell this woman a "scoliosis chair" that was going to cure her scoliosis. I couldn't wrap my engineering brain around the idea of how sitting in a chair for a while everyday was going to cure anyone's scoliosis. My sister told me it was just another "quack" out there trying to make money. So proceed at your own risk, but there's one medical opinion about scoliosis chairs. Have no idea if it's related to Clear or not, but I agree, Clear turns me off.

Comment

Originally posted by krazytyler View Post
          So sitting here with these emotions and thoughts, i figure what if I made my own Scoliosis Traction Chair?
          Tyler, that would be quite the project, please make sure you have someone there to help ya out of it!

Originally posted by krazytyler View Post
          using this 35$ Cervical Traction Set for the head halter http://www.alimed.com/Alimed/product...,18113,278.htm
          I had this cervical traction thing and its a pain, it was prescribed for headaches...its very uncomfortable, I used it once and tossed it.

Your not crazy, I have thought of it myself, but instead tried another route...the inverter table to lengthen the spine and hanging from a bar....to lengthen the spine. If you look at the "s" curve of scoliosis....it appears shortened and curved...needs to be lengthened...just my opinion
          http://www.betterhealthinnovations.c...stl-ep-550.htm whatever you do don't pay this much for it...go to Walmart or Target and get it for under $100. I only paid $55 for ours at Kmart. Everyone in our family likes it..it feels good on my back too ..... check with your doctor 1st.
          age 15
          Daughter diagnosed at age 13
          T20 l23 10-09
          T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
          T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
          T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
          Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
          Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

Working...