It's my turn on Tuesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's my turn on Tuesday

Had my pre-op appointments last week sandwiched in between 2 short and quick mini vacations. Spent 3 days in Las Vegas, came home and had pre-op appts., then spent 3 glorious days lazing around in the hot sun and beautiful Colorado River. Got home this afternoon and have spent the rest of the day getting ready for my surgery on Tuesday morning.

It’s 10:30pm here and I have to be at the hospital bright and early on Tuesday morning (5:30am) & now I’m starting to freak out. Besides being nervous, scared, excited, and anxious, I’m afraid I’m forgetting something important.

I think I have most things in place here at home, ready for my return. My bag is almost all packed for my stay at the hospital (including my camera). Any last minute suggestions on what I should be doing, taking, thinking about…whatever, is greatly appreciated.

I’m sure I’ll be here off and on all day tomorrow while I try to finish up last minute details before my big day. After that, I’ll do my best to get back here quickly to detail my hospital stay!

To you awe-inspiring “August Ladies”, I hope you will keep posting on your recoveries. I really look forward to reading about your unique experiences and I think you are helping to keep me sane (even if my family doesn’t agree that I’m sane to begin with).
    ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
    Milwaukee brace 1967-1971 -- hated it!
    Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
    Now curve is T38*, L53*
    Surgery scheduled for 9/8/09

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Valley girl-- my thoughts and prayers are with you. It's such a big big big day! And you sound like you are right where many of us have been-- mixed emotions and all. Very soon you'll be over that emotional roller coaster ride and on the other side of surgery... ready to begin the hard work of recovery. You'll do great. Hugs, Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Valley Girl,

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow early am as you head for surgery. Think positive thoughts and remember, one day at a time.
      Hugs!
      Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
      Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
      T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
      Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
      Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
      Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
      Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
      Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
      Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

One thing I wished I'd brought: vaseline or chap stick. The anesthesia and respirators make your lips so dry...
        Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
        Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
        Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
        Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
        Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

Valley Girl, it's great that you were able to get away before your surgery, you will also be in my prayers, looking forward to hearing from you when your done and feeling a bit better.
          Dolores A
          June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
          June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
          Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
          NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers all day tomorrow.

Don't worry about forgetting anything. Anything you'll want, the hosp has. I packed underwear, and never bothered w/it - just wore the hosp gown and robe - easy. I didn't bother bringing anything to read or any dvds. because I (correctly) figured that I'd have no use for them that freshly post-op.

As far as getting your household as organized and readied for your absence as possible. . .I looked at it this way: Hardly anyone is every really "ready" for Christmas, but ready or not, it gets here, and then it's over. Same with surgery.

I look forward to your post-op posts!
            Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
            Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
            Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Thanks for the hugs and good wishes. It really helps and warms my heart.

mgs - thanks for the info regarding the "underwear". I was so stressing on how much I should pack. You are so right...ready or not, tomorrow morning is going to be here no matter how much is done.

Sandy, "chapstick" - check! Already packed! Thanks for the reminder. BTW Sandy, how are you doing?
              ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
              Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
              Now curve is T38*, L53*

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

Valley Girl--You really don't need to worry about the packing stuff--maybe just insurance cards! I fussed with buying all this just right slippers, robe, etc. etc. Never used them at the hospital and most of it not since! I guess it was just a good exercise to keep me busy and to pass the time. The last few weeks I knew I wasn't going to change my mind and realized the sooner it was the sooner I could start healing. So plunge on in and very best wishes and prayers for a good result and recovery. Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Good luck! You'll do great. As my mother told me, when you get to the hospital, it all kind of takes on a life of it's own...people will tell you what to do and when. I was oddly very calm...and then the best feeling was waking up with this terrific nurse who didn't leave my side.

I did ask my husband to pick up a heightened seat for our toilet at home and I asked the pt at the hospital which car would be best to come home in. We decided against the sedan, because I would have to crouch down. Instead my husband brought our SUV with a stepping stool and it was great. Yup...no underwear....I ended up getting my "monthly visitor" and used the hospital stuff.

I'll be thinking of you!

Kathy
                  Kathy, 43
                  Diagnosed as a teen
                  Boston brace 2 years
                  63 degree lumbar curve
                  Surgery August 26, 2009
                  Anterior approach fused T12-L4
                  now 28 degrees

Comment

Good luck VG. I'll be looking for your update!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Okay, so by now you must all have figured out I am nuts. It's 5:20am, I am leaving the house in 10 minutes and here I am checking out the forum.

Anyway, thanks for the all the encouragement. You have all given me so much strength.

Looking forward to reporting from the other side.

Hugs,
                      ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
                      Now curve is T38*, L53*

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

Dear Valley Girl:
                        I missed your message yesterday, so by the time you get this you will have the surgery behind you.
                        I agree you should have a raised toilet seat - I am still using one four weeks post op.
                        When you get home - be sure to have lots of pillows for your bed. Be sure to take naps when your body tells you that you're tired - I sometimes took four a day the first few weeks! Let your family pamper you. My sister wouldn't even let me take phone calls the first week because that alone would tire me. Just know that healing takes time.
                        I had my surgery on 8/11 and am now feeling incredibly well. the first ten days are the worst and then you will turn the corner. If you doctor says to walk, be sure to walk as much as you can.
                        Good luck - my thoughts are with you! (p.s. I also am 54)

Comment

I hope all went well and I hope you are lucky enough to have a quick and easy recovery. Looking forward to your first post-op post!
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

it's 5:52 here on east coast...cant sleep from pain...just said a prayer for you this morning, that all goes well in surgery, & that you are healing from the second you awaken in recovery....i know everything will go well...

thoughts & prayers go with you..
                            jess

Comment

Sorry i missed your post (its been hectic around here), I hope that all went well and i wish you a successful and speedy recovery.
                              Vali
                              44 years young! now 45
                              Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                              Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                              St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                              Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                              Post -op - 5 degrees
                              T11 - S1 Posterior
                              L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Working...
                              X