please tell me this is normal?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please tell me this is normal?!

As most of you have read I have an 80 degree lumbar curve..well today I was out with my friends and we went to the mall. I noticed that my feet went numb..From my mid-stomach all the way to my toes..It was a little scarey because I have never experience this before..I have noticed that the doctors usually ask me if I have had any numbness or tingling before so I am hoping that this goes hand and hand with scoliosis and is not another problem going on with me =/. It lasted only 30-45 minutes and I am fine now..but I would love to hear if any of you have experience the same thing..

oh on a happier note a week from tomorrow until i see the Dr. Rand!!

27 year old female
    Upper Curve 110 degrees
    Lower Curve 90 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
    Fused T2-Pelvis
    Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Hi Megz,

Yes, I had numbness in my toes and bottom of my feet and numbness on the inside of my right ankle. I still do, so in my case, there is probably permanent nerve damage. Only time will tell. I hope your appointment with Dr. Rand goes well. I get to see him again in October.

Take care, Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Megz, I hope I didn't scare you with my previous post. My sciatic nerve had been pinched for at least three years. If you are feeling numb for only short periods of time, it is unlikely that you will have permanent nerve damage.
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Megz--I did experience something like that but to a lesser degree. I,too was at a mall when my right leg went numb. I didn't know what my rt. leg would do but I was near Barnes and Noble so I went in there and sat down. It did last for about half an hour then went away. It was quite scarey with one leg, I can't imagine two going. That was six months ago.--It has happened again but only to the thigh and not as numb as the first time.
        I see Dr. Rand a week from Wed when I have my surgery. I hope he gives you incouraging news!
        Kathy
        Diagnosed age 10. No treatment
        Thoracic curve:?
        Lumbar curve: 50 degrees with rotation
        Surgery Sept.16,2009
        Fusion T-11 to pelvis
        Dr. Frank Rand
        New England Baptist Hospital

Comment

Another thought, Megz. I'm sooooo glad you had that experience before your appointment with Dr. Rand. Those crazy things usually happen right after you see the Dr. Again, good luck and be sure to let us know what he says.
          Kathy
          Diagnosed age 10. No treatment
          Thoracic curve:?
          Lumbar curve: 50 degrees with rotation
          Surgery Sept.16,2009
          Fusion T-11 to pelvis
          Dr. Frank Rand
          New England Baptist Hospital

Comment

I've had a lot of tingling/neuro sensations in the leg on the side of my curve esp. at foot and ankle. I didn't have it happen all at once but it has gradually worsened over the last few years. I had an EMG done which said everything was normal in my back nerves (LOL.) I have since found out there is a high degree of inaccuracy in those tests! I even had a minor surgical procedure last spring to release the "peroneal nerve" in that leg which had become severly entrapped as a result of putting so much weight on that leg for so many years. Am guessing your symptoms are all part of the pkg. with your scoliosis. Good luck with your app't. Am still 5 weeks out from mine--it's hard not to speculate about what I'm going to hear!
            Anne

Anne in PA
            Age 58
            Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
            T4 to sacrum fusion
            63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
            Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
            Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Working...
            X