Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12th post-op day

I got home Tues night.

The surgery had some bumpy spots, which I'll tell you about when I feel better.

I was fused T-3 to L-3, posterior approach. He resected segments of rib, too. I can't really tell, but it looks like my rib hump is gone, or almost gone. I'm about 2 inches taller.

The pain cycles I'm experiences are worrying my husband, who keeps saying that maybe this was a big mistake, and I'll never recover. Like I always say, there's a reason the man doesn't work for Hallmark.

I am in a good amount of pain now, but had to get up and get a drink of water. I'm never actually comfortable, but it seems worse in the morning and in the evening. I feel the muscle spasms in my back, and pain in what I take to be my intercostal spaces.

If I remember, 2 weeks seems to be somewhat of a turning point for most people. . .in which case, by Tues things will be more bearable. . .right?
    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
    Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
    Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Two weeks? ABSOLUTELY! Each day you will notice some improvement. although you may not recognize it that day. Take it easy.
    Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
    Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
    T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
    Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
    Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
    Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
    Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
    Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
    Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Tell your husband (nicely) to shut up. You need positive encouragement now, not negativity. You will start feeling a tiny bit better every day. The first 2 weeks, for me, were the absolute hardest. Don't think you made a mistake; it's all uphill from here!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hey, I hope you turn the corner on that pain very soon. I think you will based on the testimonials I have read.

Based on my daughter's experience being fused with no rib removal, I am guessing much of your pain is associated with the rib resection and not so much the fusion at this point. Maybe others will comment.

My other kid is going to be fused next month. I strongly doubt there will be any rib resection but I'm going to ask.

One thing I was ready to refuse if at all possible was taking bone from the hip. I had someone tell me their pain from their fusion was long gone and they are still having pain from the hip area many years later and to this day. That scared me.

Good luck.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Whenever there's bone involved, there's going to be significant pain. And, as Sharon mentioned, the rib resection is very likely to be more painful than the spine. I didn't feel my first turning point until I was 5-6 weeks postop. I was on narcotics for 4 months, and still had a lot of pain for a lot longer.

Hang in there. It will get better. At this point, if you didn't feel you'd made a mistake about signing up for surgery, I think you'd be unusual. If you haven't talked to Dr. Tribus or your PCP about it, there might be another medication that is more effective.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

11 days post op

So good to hear from you. My pain changes daily, I'm trying to manage on 1 and 1/2 percocet every four or five hours. The last hour can be a stretch. With my anterior approach, I'm not sure if it's my side that is hurting or my back or what. Over all, I feel very stiff...which tells me I need to walk and stand tall a little. I'm a little hunched over out of fear of stretching out my body!
            Your fusion is much longer than mine, so I'd imagine it will take a while. But each day seems to get better. Unfortunately, then I move more, which someimes leads to more pain and more fatigue.

Keep your chin up and write often. You're doing great!
            Kathy, 43
            Diagnosed as a teen
            Boston brace 2 years
            63 degree lumbar curve
            Surgery August 26, 2009
            Anterior approach fused T12-L4
            now 28 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by mgs View Post
              The pain cycles I'm experiences are worrying my husband, who keeps saying that maybe this was a big mistake, and I'll never recover. Like I always say, there's a reason the man doesn't work for Hallmark.
              I haven't shown many of the posts here to my husband, but I just had to read this one to him. We both laughed at this statement.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to have to steal your "Hallmark" line for my husband as it fits him to a tee.

Then I told him (nicely), in advance, to shut up! (Thanks Debbe! )

Thanks for the levity...I really needed it (and so did he).

More importantly, it sounds like you are doing just great. Keep up the good work. I hope you and Kathy will continue to post as often as you can. I'm going in on Tuesday and I look forward to reading about your recoveries. They give me strength!

Take care and hang in there. I believe the worst part is over for you! There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Best to you!
              ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
              Milwaukee brace 1967-1971 -- hated it!
              Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
              Now curve is T38*, L53*
              Surgery scheduled for 9/8/09

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

Hi mgs! I was away when you had surgery but I thought of you! How are you going now? Are you feeling small improvements day by day? I didn't, but most do, haha!

I was in hospital 19 days and just the act of coming home caused my pain to drop 90%, my sleeping to increase 1000% and the relief put me on the road to recovery. Hope things are going well for you now.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi mgs, when i first got home from hospital on day 8 post-op, i felt as if i was doing better while i was in hospital, however, after being home a week, i noticed that things were improving. I stopped my pain meds on day 15 and was ok. Hang in there, listen to your body and rest, rest, rest.
                  Vali
                  44 years young! now 45
                  Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                  Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                  St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                  Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                  Post -op - 5 degrees
                  T11 - S1 Posterior
                  L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Working...
                  X