questions for the surgeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions for the surgeon

I am new to the forum and have learned a lot by reading many of the posts. I will be having surgery in the near future (the date is not set yet). Before I meet with the surgeon again, I was wondering if any of you had questions you wished you would have asked (but didn't think to ask) prior to surgery. I am nervous, but will be happy to have less pain and be "straighter".

I am so glad that I found this forum so that I can talk to people who truly know what it's like to have scoliosis and go through the surgery!

Jennifer

Welcome Jennifer! I am making a list of questions I wished I had asked my doctor. Since I won't see him until my surgery day (Sept. 16) I think most of them will have to wait until after the surgery.
    I wish I had asked: the type of curve, the degree of the lesser curve, the measurment of the rotation (if you have one), and what hardware he will use.
    I thought of these questions after joining the forum and reading SCOLIOSIS SURGERY The definitive Patient's reference by David K. Wolpert. It is very good.
    Some other question that I did ask were:Anterior or posterior approach or both, how long will would I be in the hospital and would I need to go to rehab.
    None of these answers were definite but he did give me some idea.
    Good Luck!
    Kathy
    Diagnosed age 10. No treatment
    Thoracic curve:?
    Lumbar curve: 50 degrees with rotation
    Surgery Sept.16,2009
    Fusion T-11 to pelvis
    Dr. Frank Rand
    New England Baptist Hospital

Comment

My surgeon's nurse gave me her email and I was able to ask her all kinds of things leading up to surgery. It was very helpful. Ask if there's a way to communicate with his nurse or Physician Asst beforehand. This forum was a big help to initiate questions I hadn't thought of.

I agree that you should ask the specifics of the curves, shift, rotation, progression over years, arthritis, condition of discs, spondylosis, stenosis, kyphosis.

Ask about surgical plan including vertabraes to be fused, anterior or posterior, if includes osteomies, what will be used for bone (your own, cadaver or artificial bone morphogenic protein), expectations or correction, days in hospital, steel or titanium, stitches, staples, glue or steri-strips, length of surgery, type of anesthesia, medications used, future pain management, when you'll get brace, bone stimulator, physical therapy, massage, timelines for bathing, driving, sex, follow up visits, equipment like toilet riser, walker, home health visits, inpatient rehab, limitations on movement and activities, how many similar corrections he's done and if you can talk to a former patient.
      Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
      Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
      Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
      Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
      Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions so far!

Kathy-- I have read that book (I saw it on a website that the doctor had reccomended) and agree that it is very helpful! I just gave it to my fiance to read.

Sandy--I didn't think about corresponding with the nurse or PA beforehand, but that is an excellent idea!

Hopefully I'll see the doc soon and have the date set. I'm getting married in August 2010, so I want to be recovered enough for the big day! I think it will certainly give me motivation to do everything I can to recover!

Comment

Hi Jennifer! It sounds like you have a super busy and important year ahead! Surgery AND wedding... Wow! But you are right, that wedding will keep you working at getting better and better!

I think if you do a search on "questions" you'll find other threads where people needed the same help. That's great that you've already read the Wolpert book. You are off to a good start! He has a list of questions in his book, if my memory serves me right. I probably read it 5 or 6 times before my surgery. And being able to email your surgeon's nurse is such a great suggestion too. I didn't even think about that till after my surgery, but then I did-- how simple it was to ask questions or voice concerns that way.

Best wishes as you gear up and get ready for all that is happening this year!
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Jennifer,

I wished I had talked more of how my pain management would be handled during my hospital stay. I had my surgery at a military facility and they had my meds request on demand......i was in to much pain to request anything. the doc took care of that but it took about 2 days of hell. It was the one things we never talked about, I figured it would be a no brainer. Some of my nursing staff didn't understand how I could be in pain. Come on people! My husband had heads flying and all went ok after that :O) gotta love a man who can get things done!
            Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
            50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
            Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
            X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
            Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
            Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
            Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X