Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new to the forum although have read posts for quite a while as a guest. At age 52, have finally reached the point where fear of this surgery has surpassed fear of living with this pain for the rest of my life. Was diagnosed in 1972, basically untreated because "bones had ossified" and wasn't going to spend 9 months in a body cast. Gone about the rest of my life pretty much without issues up until the last few years when arthritis, degenerative disc etc has set in. Am a music teacher and choral singer and spend a lot of time on my feet which is getting to be more and more difficult. Haven't had an accurate measurement for some time but the curve is well into the 60's. Have done all the conservative stuff, have read the book and I know I need to move forward. Anyway, am scheduled for an app't. with Dr. Kebaish at Johns Hopkins in mid-October. He did the surgery of a close friend (what are the odds of that??) which was a revision of a botched job and she had nothing but rave reviews about the whole process at Hopkins. My attitude is terrified but resolved. This seems like a wonderfully supportive group of people. I know I'm going to have a lot of questions--am so glad this is here.
    Anne in PA

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Terrified but resolved. That's a perfect description of how I went into it. Good luck with whatever comes next. The hardest part is the waiting, but you'll do it.

Ask anything you want.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I agree with Debbei--terrified but resolved--that's the perfect way to put it & exactly how I felt. Good luck with your appointment and welcome to the forum where you will have lots of wonderful support. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Great description!! Best wishes to you in your upcoming "adventure". I'll be praying for you. If it helps any, I can honestly say I'm glad I had my surgery now. I'm already feeling better than before surgery. As others have and will say, ask anything you'd like. If we can help, we surely will
        Debbie

Comment

Welcome...this site is an amazing site and everyone so supportive! It is wonderful to read about others who are going through similar situations. Best of luck to you!

Always Smilin'
          Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
          pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
          pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
          right thoracic 57
          lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
          revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
          unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

The hardest part is making the decision to have the surgery done. I have post op pain still at 4 months where many are doing well at this point. However, it's not the same pain that I was having for 5 years prior to surgery. Good luck. They have come so far in techniques compared to 37 years ago! You'll be happy in the end! I never would have imagined that I would stand so tall and so straight. I gained 2 inches in height :O) Can't complain about that! Take care......................
            Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
            50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
            Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
            X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
            Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
            Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
            Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Hi Anne,
              Welcome to the forum, the people on here are great and everyone is of great help. Best wishes.

Susan,
              Sor sorry to hear you ae still in pain, hope things improve and that you are not doing too much!
              Vali
              44 years young! now 45
              Surgery - June 1st, 2009
              Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
              St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
              Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
              Post -op - 5 degrees
              T11 - S1 Posterior
              L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Working...
              X