OMG! They fired me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG! They fired me?

Yes, I've been blessed with a great recovery so far, and I haven't hit 3 weeks post-op yet. I found a friend that's a freelance artist to take over for me the 4-6 weeks I was on medical leave. (I am art director for a magazine.) I trained my friend, made a procedure manual and cheat sheets, made sure everything was cool for my leave, and then today the owner calls me and says I'm out of a job. HUH? She's decided to cut the pay and the hours, and instead of negotiating with me, says she's replacing me because she doesn't know how long I'll stick around. We sold our Florida house at the end of March and were originally planning to move over the summer but that got delayed because of my surgery. Plus, there's nothing for work up there (we have a house on the TN/NC line that was also for sale but this one sold first). I told her all along that she'd get plenty of notice and I'd be sure everything was covered, but now I'm unemployed. I filed for unemployment today and will speak to a lawyer about unfair discharge during a planned medical leave. What a bit*h! I beleive everything happens for a reason and doors open when they're suppose to (like my husband getting a job with awesome insurance so I could get the surgery), but this is a shocker.
    Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
    Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
    Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
    Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
    Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

What a total bummer. And yes, when one door closes, another opens. I could go on with lots of cliches, which you don't need to hear right now. Just focus on your healing. And take one day at a time. Hugs, Les
    Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
    Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
    T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
    Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
    Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
    Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
    Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
    Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
    Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

I can't even believe that! I am so sorry. My dad worked HR for years for many differen companies, big and small. I'll have to bend his ear about this one at dinner tonight. Just a lot to make sure that you still have available to you....health insurance for one. (We need a little smilie with smoke coming out of his head!).
      Kathy, 43
      Diagnosed as a teen
      Boston brace 2 years
      63 degree lumbar curve
      Surgery August 26, 2009
      Anterior approach fused T12-L4
      now 28 degrees

Comment

oops...I see that you have insurance through your hubby....but if her reason is that she wasn't sure when you'd be back???That's what FMLA and short term disability and all that stuff is for..I think.
        Kathy, 43
        Diagnosed as a teen
        Boston brace 2 years
        63 degree lumbar curve
        Surgery August 26, 2009
        Anterior approach fused T12-L4
        now 28 degrees

Comment

That is so awful. I think you're right in seeing an attorney. I think you are handling the situation quite well especially after just having surgery! Good luck with this and concentrate on getting well. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Sandy,

I'm so sorry to hear this is happening to you! As if you need more stress right now...not! I hope you can get some satisfaction with your attorney.

Keep up the good work on your recovery and don't let this hinder it. I've still got you in my prayers.

All the best,
            ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
            Milwaukee brace 1967-1971 -- hated it!
            Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
            Now curve is T38*, L53*
            Surgery scheduled for 9/8/09

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

That's horrible of your boss, even if it's not illegal, she should be ashamed of herself. I seemed to remember a minimum # of employee part of that law, and this is what I found:

"Employees are eligible for leave if they have worked for their employer at least 12 months, at least 1,250 hours over the past 12 months, and work at a location where the company employs 50 or more employees within 75 miles. Whether an employee has worked the minimum 1,250 hours of service is determined according to FLSA principles for determining compensable hours or work."

Maybe something even BETTER will turn up. It did for me.

Good luck, and let us know what the lawyer says.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I'm so sorry to heard your horrible news. I have to say that with a boss like that, you are probably better off, but what she did is just wrong on so many levels. I agree with you that a "window always opens". I hope yours opens soon.
                At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
                Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
                Excellent correction

Comment

Thank you all for your support and letting me vent. I am lucky the insurance is through hubby, so at least that's covered. We're looking at this as a reason to make the move quickly. Wish me luck!
                  Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
                  Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
                  Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
                  Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
                  Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

Working...
                  X