Can't get my surgeon to return my calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get my surgeon to return my calls

Had a very bad w/e of pain that I have not experienced at all. The pain is on my left side of my spine down about six inches from my shoulder blade. It hurts the most when I extend my arms in any way, I didn't do anything to myself (I don't think anyway) over the weekend to cause this. The pain is very sharp and stabbing, I feel a tight stretching feeling also. I put in three calls to my surgeon between yesterday and today -- no response as of yet, which is very strange because he or his assistant are very good in returning my calls, which are very few since I've had my surgery. On a whole, I've been doing very well, normal surgery pain that I still control with pain meds. I've been working about four days a week from 10-3 with no issues, I also take the railroad a couple of days with no problems. I guess I'm just upset that my surgeon hasn't called me back because I'm a little nervous about this pain.
    Dolores A
    June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
    June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
    Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
    NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Hi Dolores...

While it's stressful, scoliosis surgery postop pain is rarely an emergency. It's entirely possible that your surgeon was doing something that kept him from returning your call.

Hang in there. I'm sure you'll talk to him soon, and hopefully you'll eventually find that the pain is just meaningless pain

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda, I did calm down after a bit, and low and behold I did get a call to come into see him yesterday evening (and he was in surgery for two days). It was a very good visit -- he is so good at explaining everything in detail that I am going through. I think this weekend I had a little bit of a pity party for myself. I think the biggest thing that is going on besides some pain, is this weight loss. He explained that in detail, it has something to do with the location of my lumbar curve and and my digestive system (the duodim (sp)) and that's why I am not able to eat that much without feeling very full. he did say that gradually I will gain back my weight. Felt so much better after touching base with him. And that pain I was having is like you said, not something to be alarmed at.
      Dolores A
      June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
      June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
      Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
      NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Working...
      X