5 hours and counting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 hours and counting

I'm posting this so I will have some replies to read when I'm up to it! It's nearly 1 in the morning and my husband and I are working on our laptops and watching funny sit coms. I need to be at the hospital in 5 hours. My mom blessed me with Holy Water from Lourdes (and tears).

Anxiety kicked in and of course I started second guessing my decision. But then I had the guts to have my husband photograph my back AND measure me. I can't believe the photo of my back! And I measured at barely 5 feet 7, when I used to be almost 5 feet 9. WOW.

I can't wait to hear from Mary Ann and Karen...and read more about Sandy.

Cheers.
    Kathy, 43
    Diagnosed as a teen
    Boston brace 2 years
    63 degree lumbar curve
    Surgery August 26, 2009
    Anterior approach fused T12-L4
    now 28 degrees

Wishing you all the best for a successfull surgery in the morning and a wonderful, easy, quick recovery!

Can't wait to read your post-op posts in the coming days (when you feel up to it).

Best to you!
    ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
    Milwaukee brace 1967-1971 -- hated it!
    Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
    Now curve is T38*, L53*
    Surgery scheduled for 9/8/09

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

Kathy-- looking forward to hearing from you when you're on the other side of surgery... my thoughts and prayers are with you-- and gentle hugs for when you wake up and begin recovery. It's hard work, but time will pass and you'll get stronger and better. And you'll be straighter and your spine will be stable and not keep getting crookeder anymore... Take care and know that there are many of us who know what you're going through-- and we know that it's worth it in the long run.
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

[QUOTE=kt2009;82451]I'm posting this so I will have some replies to read when I'm up to it![/QUOTE

Hi Kathy, I remember when I had my surgery back in June, even with the wonderful support of my family and friends, this site was the one place that really understood what we were all going through. You and all the other August surgeries are in my prayers, can't wait to see how you are all doing after. Be strong, it gets better and better with each passing day!
        Dolores A
        June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
        June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
        Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
        NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Kathy,

You are in my thoughts and prayers today. In my opinion, the night before was the most horrible time to get through. Hopefully, by now, the action has started and you are not anxious any longer. Be sure to update us when you're able to.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Kathy,
            You're in good hands by now. I'll be thinking about you and sending prayers your way today...and to your husband who also has a rough couple of days ahead if his time is to be anything like my husband's time when I was in the hospital.
            You'll do fine! It does get better every day especially right at first - you will amaze yourself at how strong you really are.
            Best wishes!
            Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
            Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
            Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
            A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
            Achieved +70% Correction
            Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
            New Spine 03/19/2009
            New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Originally posted by kt2009 View Post
              I'm posting this so I will have some replies to read when I'm up to it! It's nearly 1 in the morning and my husband and I are working on our laptops and watching funny sit coms. I need to be at the hospital in 5 hours. My mom blessed me with Holy Water from Lourdes (and tears).

Anxiety kicked in and of course I started second guessing my decision. But then I had the guts to have my husband photograph my back AND measure me. I can't believe the photo of my back! And I measured at barely 5 feet 7, when I used to be almost 5 feet 9. WOW.

I can't wait to hear from Mary Ann and Karen...and read more about Sandy.

Cheers.
              Hi Kathy! We're name twins (have the same name)!! You'll do great and be sooo happy to have this behind you!! I didn't sleep much the night before either and started second guessing my dicision to have surgery as well. Now I'm 15 week post op and I've never regretted haveing the surgery. I guess when you get this you will be on the other side and on your way to recovering. The first couple of weeks will be a little ruff so take it slow, do what the doc says and don't try and do too much. Hope every thing goes well for you and keep us posted!!
              Kat

54 yrs. young
              T-33 degree curve
              L-53 degree curve
              Surgery (sacrum-T 10) with Dr. Bridwell in St. Louis Mo.
              on May 12 th 2009 and on the mend!!

Comment

Sorry I missed your last post before you went in. I'm sure you're in la-la land as we speak. The first day for me was a complete blur. The valium in pre-op knocked me out before I even made it to OR. Every day DOES get better, though I had 2 days in a row where I felt exactly the same and I was discouraged, but not for long. I can't believe how great I feel after only 13 days. Have a positive attitude. Accept help from friends (I got another potluck today), and tell your husband repeatedly how much you appreciate him (or your kids or whoever is at your side). I, too, have found greater support on this site than with some of my email or facebook buddies, because we all know here what we're each other is really going through!

I had my daughter take pics of me in a bathing suit the day before, and with my dressings off a few days after. I'm most impressed with my waist (albeit very swollen still), and the fact that my lumbar hump is gone. And like many moms, I have growth charts on my laundry door jamb. I teased my 16-yr-old step daughter that I'd have a growth spurt and beat her. We're now both the same at a tad shy of 5'6". My tallest days were 5'5 1/2". My biggest disappointment was weighing myself at the grocer's the other day. I was hoping for a post-op weight loss like so many here said. Guess the meds didn't make me nauseous enough to kill my apetite for more than about a 3 lb. drop. Oh well, if that's my biggest disappointment then I am truly blessed!

I'm the same age as you and HAD (love that word) a similar lumbar curve, so we should have some parallels. Looking forward to your first posts and praying for your quick recovery.
                Last edited by johnsonbunch; 08-26-2009, 04:25 PM.
                Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
                Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
                Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
                Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
                Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

Hi Kathy
                  so many thoughts & prayers go with you...from the second you came out of OR the healing began...may you be blessed with a steady & continuous recovery & a pain free life..

best wishes
                  jess

Comment

Kathy--
                    Hope all went very well today and that now on the other side you can begin the recovery. Lots of prayers coming your way. Someone mentioned the husbands/caregivers--and that is tough! I don't know if it's been talked about on here for awhile but your husband might want to do a CaringBridges site. It was so helpful to us to correspond with everyone with basically one e-mail and they could sign onto the guest book to send messages. So many people truly appreciated it. We've had several friends who have had major surgical problems, etc. that have used it too. Good luck with the recovery! Janet
                    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Welcome Back........

Hope you are feeling fine after your surgery Kathy. The first days are the toughest, but you may not even remember, thanks to the hospital cocktail. Once you are home just remember, no matter what it gets better. Just log on to the forum to get some hugs...
                      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I am sending positive thoughts your way!

I am 54 years old and had t10-S1 surgery on 8/11, so I'm in my third week of recovery. I am so relieved to have the whole surgery behind me. every day I see more progress. I am walking four times a day, from 15 to 30 minutes each time...I wish it weren't so hot here (Phoenix) because midday walks are uncomfortable! I gained a half inch in height - also have a doorway where we have measured our two daughters and now me!! I haven't lost any weight, sadly enough - but at least I haven't gained it.

I think the human body is an amazing thing. all my neighbors are in awe when they see me walking through the neighborhood.

Just know that the first two weeks are the worst, and then improvement sets in.

Comment

Hi Kathy
                          I'm another Kathy. We also have a lumbar curve in common. I hope that when you read this you are relieved that the surgery is over and in good spirits. You have a lot of people on your side! I will be looking forward to reading how you make out as my surgery is Sept 16--if you can post before then--but that's a BIG stretch!
                          I will pray for a great outcome for you!
                          Kathy
                          Diagnosed age 10. No treatment
                          Thoracic curve:?
                          Lumbar curve: 50 degrees with rotation
                          Surgery Sept.16,2009
                          Fusion T-11 to pelvis
                          Dr. Frank Rand
                          New England Baptist Hospital

Comment

Working...
                          X