surgery results and restrictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery results and restrictions

I am seeing a surgeon this Friday for the first time. I've been dealing with the pain from scoliosis which has steadily gotten worse and worse. I've tried all kinds of therapies, pain management etc. I was to see Dr Shelokov but since he passed away that will not happen. I had always been told he was 'the man' when it came to this kind of surgery so I am saddened for everyone in his life and so sorry I will not be operated on or able to be cared for by him. I will see his associate, but my questions are more general to all who have had surgery. I am wondering how many of you would say you have gotten relief from this kind of surgery and how much relief? Also I was very active until the last year or two, doing sprint triathlons which involves, swimming, biking and running. I wasn't ever that fast but I sure did enjoy it and proving to myself I could do it ( after having breast cancer). I fought the pain for so long but I couldn't do it anymore. So I am wondering also how much are you restricted after this surgery and for how long? I mean are there things you will never be able to do again, even if you have surgery. How long were you restricted immediately after surgery and for how long? I realize these kind of questions are relative to the person answering but I am just trying to get a general idea from those who have been there already.
    Thanks to all who can help me with these questions!

You will probably get more precise answers if you can state what degree of curvature you have.

45L/40T
    Surgery 25/1/2010
    Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Four years ago I began a frantic internet search in an attempt to learn what help was available to someone my age. I came across Dr. Shelokov’s web site and it gave me so much hope that I had considered traveling to Texas to meet with this surgeon, before learning that there were excellent surgeons closer to home. My sympathy goes out to all his patients.

Isn’t it strange how this scoliosis can suddenly stop us in our tracks? That’s what happened to me. To answer your question, a lot depends on your age, the extent of surgery and how much of your spine will be fused. At 59 I had a 12-hour posterior surgery that included a laminectomy and osteotemies and a fusion from T4 to the sacrum. I felt pretty much like a beached whale for about six weeks afterwards. But then my recovery hastened and it’s been uphill since then. As far as restrictions go, I can’t answer you in terms of triathlon activities as I was never a very physically active person, other than brisk walking for exercise. I used to love to paint and wallpaper. I can no longer do that, because I will not climb a ladder and I can’t get down on the floor anymore. And I sure do miss gardening. So I do have some permanent restrictions. Even without the surgery though, my collapsing spine would have left me with permanent restrictions. But on the plus side, I did get a lot of relief from the surgery. I could not stand without being in pain and having to lean on something for support. My social life came to a halt because I was feeling more and more debilitated. That’s all changed. I have no pain now and activities such as traveling, shopping, cooking, and entertaining are once again enjoyable.

Comment

Working...
      X