pt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pt

I started pt about 2 weeks ago and I have mixed feelings about it. I do feel that I could do what they are doing without having to pay someone else. What do most people think about pt? Does everybody engage in it or what? I guess if it was just my back it would be different but most of the rest of my body is not in good shape so to help one thing means to hurt something else. It's not as bad in the pool but they have me doing land and pool. I spent 2 hours there the other day and that's way too much time. I am thinking of bailing on it after this week but I don't want to hurt myself in the long run.

avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

PT was a lifesaver for me. Besides strenghthening a severely weakened leg, it helped me build flexibility and core strength, which helped with my overall stamina and pain levels. It's really important to have a therapist who understands spine issues.

I used the recumbent bike, the treadmill, and did lots of core building exercises on a raised mat, in a chair, and on one of those tippy platforms you have to balance on (forget what it's called).
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

So far I am doing isometric stomach exercises, the elliptical and strength exercises for the entire body. It hasn't been long enough yet to make a decision. I will report back.
      avis
      Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

I personally could never understand the need for months of PT after this surgery unless of course one has experienced an injury. The only PT prescribed by my surgeon was walking and at 14 months post-op I’m pain free and doing just fine. Why compromise a good thing.

Comment

Hi Avis,
          If I recall correctly, I went for about 12 sessions with the Physical Therapist with vacation time in between and only two half hours sessions a week. It takes a therapist more than a couple of visits to completely assess your needs. The isometrics is where I started and over time other exercises were added. Some were eliminated as for instance, I have arthritis in my wrists, so a different exercise was added or modified. Two hours at any one time seems excessive to me. I think as you get stronger, you will realize the importance of the PT. Of course, I wanted to get back to skating, so my therapy was kind of geared for me to be able to do that. If you have a good therapist, he or she should be able to work around your arthritis issues and once you learn the exercises that are right for you, you can continue them at home. Give it a little more time and if you aren't happy with your therapist, request someone else.
          Take care, Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

If you have a pool where you can work out, go there instead. Walking in the water, leg lifts to the front, side, and back are great. Swimming breaststroke helps to strengthen the back. I have been to pt at different times in my life and found that after a couple of visits, I could do a better workout on my own. The key is working out in a pool. It takes the stress off of your back while strengthening your muscles. The pool where I go has a treadmill and an elliptical in the water and sometimes an exercise bike (it is broken right now).
            T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
            2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
            3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
            Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

I'm glad you started this thread Avis, I'll be starting PT on Thursday -- what I was hoping to get out of it was getting my legs stronger and my core I guess. I've always had strong legs, but since I've been fused down to my pelvic, I know I'm going to be using muscles in my legs that I probably never used before. Not sure though how getting my core stronger will help if I can't bend, maybe I'm not getting the mechanics of it! I wanted to go the pool also, but my surgeon said not yet, too soon guess for the incision.

Any way let us know how it's going.
              Dolores A
              June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
              June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
              Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
              NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

I've always thought the ultimate point of PT was to find exercises that one can do on their own. The big question, is whether you'll keep up the exercises on your own.

I totally agree that 2 hrs. is too long!

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Avis,

I did not find physical therapy helpful. It actually increased my pain significantly and has left me with this permanent buzzing sensation in my neck. It could have been the physical therapist I had or just me (I always seem to have strange responses to normal things).

2 hours is a really long time! Mine were about an hour. I quit after week 4 of 8.

Shell
                  Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                  2003- 33 degrees
                  2005- 37 degrees
                  2006- 44 degrees
                  May 2007- 47 degrees
                  December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
                  Fused T1 to L2
                  Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Physical Therapy saved me

I want to put my 2 cents in on the Pro PT side! I started PT about 3 1/2 months after my surgery. I had become so weakened in my legs and back. I hobbled into the rehab hospital on a cane when I started , barely able to raise my arms over my head, and was unable to walk the 6 minute walk without having to rest. I used all of my 24 visits and by the time I finished, I was back to work, with no cane, stronger and able to accomplish the daily personal and work tasks I needed to . My therapist was great . Yes you do need to follow through at home between visits but I am a believer now. She also taught me some tricks and tips on things that had become difficult for me that I still use to this day.
                    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

I cut the therapy to either pool or land and only have been going twice a week. I find with me that if I go to pt I might not walk or do anything else but if I don't go to pt I will make sure that I walk or do something. Case in point. I missed this past Friday and walked an hour yesterday and today and incorporated one of the nasty hills that are in the area. If I lived in a warm climate I would be in the water all the time. The minute the temperature drops I can't bear the thought of water. Maybe I should have found a place that does only pool work because maybe they keep the water warmer. Something to think about.
                      avis
                      Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

pt

Avis,

My doc said he wouldn't recommended PT. He said we would go that route if needed, but he figured I wouldn't need it. I was cardiovascularly fit prior to surgery as well as extremely flexible and had quite a bit of strength.....not compared to 5 years ago, but still strong. I was slow going with the walking post surgery due to the heat here in Virginia but I started my elliptical at 7 weeks and was able to get right up to 30 minutes in a week. I thought it was strange that after such a serious surgery he wouldn't have all his patients do PT. With that said, I am rather glad I don't have to make the time to go to PT only to be showed things I already now how to do. Being a personal trainer though I know for myself what I need to do. Everyone needs to listen to their own bodies though and some do need and will benefit from PT. Like their surgeries, everyone is so different.

I am still on all my pain meds except the break through pain meds and I feel like I am being weak by still being on them. I want to be off them but listening to my body I don't see myself functioning without them. I still have quite a bit of pain. Not the same pain as prior to my surgery. Maybe I am expecting to much. I am going to make an effort to try and start lengthening my time between doses and see how I do with that. This is my area of frustration as I am sure everyone has their own individual struggles. Good luck with PT, if nothing else, you will be stronger when your done and feel better as well :O)
                        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Susan--
                          I'm glad to see I'm not the only one still on significant pain meds. I was beginning to think I was totally off on my recovery. And you were just a couple weeks behind me. I am now down to 6 1/2 hydrocodone a day and 3 muscle relaxers. I have had lots of trouble when I tried to come down faster than that was pain and soreness. I hope to soon start weaning down to 6. Today is 5 months for me. My little victory today was getting on my footie socks without the sock thing. I could do the left but not the right. I don't lean down of course but put my leg on my knee. Whoopie! Janet
                          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I go to a senior therapy pool where they keep the water at 90 degrees. It is great and they let people that are younger than 50 come with a doctor's note. It is great even in the hot days of an Atlanta summer!!!
                            T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                            2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                            3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                            Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

PT was the only thing that helped with major stiffness in my hips and lower back. My surgeon kept saying that the stiffness would go away on it's own with daily activities, but finally, when I was 4 months post-op, he sent me to PT. After just 6 weeks of 2 visits per week, I felt great and considered myself fully healed from my surgery. I could have done the same exercises at home too, but how could I have known if I was using the right amount of weight or the right number of reps without hurting myself? I wasn't about to risk injuring myself so I felt that for me, PT was the way to go and the outcome was great.

Comment

Working...
                              X