back to school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back to school

Well sad as I am, school begins tomorrow and the following week my practicum begins as well. I am a doctoral student at the grand age of 58. I really hope I have the strength and endurance for this. My school is an hour from my house and my practicum is an hour from my house the other direction. It would be better if my knees didn't hurt so much all the time, and that's after having the series of shots they do for knees. So it's 6 months from the surgeries and back to school. My class tomorrow is 7:20pm - 10pm and then an hour drive home.

Wish me luck kids!!
    avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Hi Avis! (I read your 2nd post first and thought that was your post, then realized there was one before that, so that is why my response seems a bit strange...and why I added on/edited) Everyone is so different! I had PT at 6 months post op and again at 11 months post-op, for about 6-8 weeks, 2-3 times per week. I definitely got a lot out of my time there and continued with it at home until I started back to work and couldn't fit it into my schedule and also didn't have enough energy for it anymore. It depends on what your therapist has you do, of course. But mine was great and through the PT, I was able to gain back a lot of strength I had lost because of the surgery. Since you've been snorkeling and all, maybe that hasn't changed that much for you. Best wishes as you figure it all out.

I think it's great you are working on your doctorate. I'll be thinking of you as you head out today... but my advice is to try to take everything else as easy as you can and see how it all goes. Be like the "little engine that could"-- you can do it!
    Last edited by Susie*Bee; 08-24-2009, 05:21 AM.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

My goodness Avis, you will certainly be busy! Good luck with school. I started working full time at 8 months postop, and for the first month or so I'd come home from work and take a nap. I'm more used to it now.

As far as PT, I loved mine and I think she helped me tremendously. I had problems with one hip, and after months of the therapist stretching it, I am perfectly normal in that hip now. THat's a stretch that I couldn't do by myself. Of course when I started going, at 8 weeks post op, I was not working so I had time to go 3x a week.

Good luck fitting everything in your schedule! Give us an update when you have a few minutes.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Wow! I'm impressed! Surgery and doctorate in the same year...definitely brave. (I just completed my masters and thought that was enough...and BEFORE surgery.)

Always Smilin'
        Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
        pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
        pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
        right thoracic 57
        lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
        revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
        unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Good luck Avis. I return to my studies tomorrow too, exactly 4 months post-op
          Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
          46° curve
          Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Comment

Hi Avis
            I haven't had my surgery yet (Sept 16) but we Dr. Rand patients have to support each other! I have to tell you that you have a great deal of courage on many levels and I wish you all the luck in the world on your new venture!
            Take care,
            Kathy
            Diagnosed age 10. No treatment
            Thoracic curve:?
            Lumbar curve: 50 degrees with rotation
            Surgery Sept.16,2009
            Fusion T-11 to pelvis
            Dr. Frank Rand
            New England Baptist Hospital

Comment

Working...
            X