Karen, me, then Kathy - our week!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karen, me, then Kathy - our week!

Am I forgetting anyone? Sandy's was Aug 13. ..Karen is Mon and Kathy is Wed. Once I can get on a computer after my surgery (which will be Tues), my first cyber stop will be HERE, so I can check on how my fellow fresh post-ops are faring.

As for what I will have done:

I had my long pre-op consult appt on Thurs, and Dr. Tribus revised his plan after looking at my bending x-rays. Because there is already some fusion (that occured naturally) he is bagging the previous plan of a/p approach and just doing the posterior approach. He will remove a section from several ribs and fuse from T-3 to L-3. He said he plans on 10 - 12 hours, so we start early - 7:30am. He sees significant arthritis in my lower spine, but since it troubles me very little, now, he'll stop at L-3. My curve is in the high 80s, he didn't venture a guesstimate of how much correction he will be able to achieve, and I didn't ask. It did make me feel better when his pt said that I am well centered, and many friends have commented that they never even knew I had any back problem. Go figure.

My husband keeps saying, "You can cancel". . .and other things that let me know that he wonders if this is the right thing for me to do. It is.
    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
    Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
    Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Your husband is just trying to be supportive. I remember mine said the same thing. Great new on the posterior only approach. You'll have an easier recovery than had he stuck with the original plan. You can do it. You know, these days are the hardest. I have the same fusion as you will, T3 to L3. Usually I have no complaints about mobility. I bend to pick things off the floor; bend over to brush my teeth, lean over to kiss my daughter goodnight in bed, and this week I played jacks with her on the floor.

Now remember, you won't be allowed to bend for some time, but when you are, it might not be as bad as you imagined.

Good luck getting through these days.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

mgs-- thanks for posting this. All of you will be in my thoughts and prayers as you have your surgeries and work your way through the early stages of recovery this week. Just keep remembering that you'll get through this part ok and make progress, just like we did. It's a challenge, but well worth it. I'll be looking forward to reading that first post-op post from you! Hugs, Susie
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I want to wish you all of you a great surgery and recovery time.
        I hope everything goes smooth for you and please let us know how it went as soon as you feel strong enough to go online.
        I wish I could have my surgery done too...
        best of luck!
        PILAR
        Scoliosis Diagnosed at age 12. Wore Milwaukee brace for 2 years.
        Now age 32
        Pre-op curves: C86-T98-L37
        Surgery date: 12/6/2010 (anterior) 12/10/2010 (posterior)
        Fused T2 to L5 with thoracoplasty.
        Post-op curves: C48-T47-L17
        Dr. Robert Pashman
        Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles, CA
        Before and after xrays :
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...5&d=1292969215

Comment

Wishing you all the very best this coming week. You have a large group here rooting for you and your successful outcomes. You will be in my heart and prayers for easy, quick and healthy recoveries!

Hugs,
          ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
          Milwaukee brace 1967-1971 -- hated it!
          Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
          Now curve is T38*, L53*
          Surgery scheduled for 9/8/09

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

Thanks, mgs and to all of you who wish us well.

I guess I'm next in line -- on Monday. I'll also post here as soon as I'm able. Am I scared? You betcha. Terrified. But am I doing the right thing? You betcha. All I have to do is think about the pain and the lack of mobility it is causing me.

My anterior lumbar surgery will be at 7:30AM and is scheduled to last 4 hours. It is my surgeon's first surgery of the day which is a good thing. At 5:30AM I will have a consultation with my surgeon and anesthesiologist. As far as I know, I will have the a/p lumbar surgery as planned. Interestingly, the nurse-practitioner called to say that Dr. L had not scheduled me for the ICU after my first surgery, which she felt would help calm my partner down. However, I thought going to ICU was a given. Was it for those of you having a/p surgery? My posterior surgery will be on Thursday, 8/27. I guess that lasts about 4 hours as well. Then, after a total of 10 days in the hospital I'm planning to go to rehab for 1-2 weeks. Sometime in that period I hope to have access to a computer to see how you, Sandy, Kathy and everyone else having surgery in August are doing and to let you know how I am faring.

Best of luck to you all,

Karen
            Karen, 66 years "young"
            Polio at 6
            Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
            Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
            Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
            Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
            Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
            Three surgeries in one week:
            8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
            8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
            9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Comment

I'm here and feeling a little apprehensive as well. And my husband is being a little funny about it. I only have significant pain in the morning and more discomfort during the day and evening...and I can tell that he's wondering if this is the right thing to do...he's afraid that I'm sacrificing a little pain for limitations from surgery in the future. But, oddly enough, my pain has increased over the summer...not sure if that's psychosomatic or what. But I know it's only going to get worse over time.

My surgery won't be as extensive as you all....estimated time 3-4 hours. They will go in through the side (is that the anterior approach??), take out a rib, etc. A different doctor will do the initial approach...they have worked together many times...he's even throwing in a hernia repair...woohoo!

My surgery is the first of the day, as well, so I'll be up and outta here early...I wonder if I'll even be able to sleep!

Good luck to mgs and Karen...you're in my prayers!
              Kathy, 43
              Diagnosed as a teen
              Boston brace 2 years
              63 degree lumbar curve
              Surgery August 26, 2009
              Anterior approach fused T12-L4
              now 28 degrees

Comment

So glad you posted, Kathy. It's wonderful to have company during our surgeries, isn't it. Like yours, my pain increased over the summer which gave me the clear message that I was doing the right thing by having surgery.

I'm happy to hear your surgery will be the first one of the day too. That way the doctor will be fresh and the operation will be on time. I'm not a morning person at all, so having to get to the hospital by 5:30AM does not make me a happy camper - but I'll do it for the sake of having the 1st surgery. I've noticed that my sleep pattern has gotten worse the closer I am to my surgery date. In fact, I've needed to take Tylenol PM to fall asleep and even then I toss and turn. So, I don't know how much sleep I'll get tonight.

Yes, going in from the side is the "anterior" approach. That's what I'm having tomorrow.

You and mgs will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Karen
                Karen, 66 years "young"
                Polio at 6

Comment

Best of luck Mgs, Karen and Kathy! I'll be praying for you! Every day is a new day and gets better. 10 days post-op now for me. At first I thought I was crazy to be back at work after a month, now I think it's more feasible. Will post more on my Sandy Aug 13 thread now.
                  Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
                  Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
                  Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
                  Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
                  Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

Hi Sandy

Thanks so much for your upbeat message. So glad your recovery is going smoothly. That gives me hope and strength. Now I'll go read you Sandy August 13 message.

Karen
                    Karen, 66 years "young"
                    Polio at 6

Comment

Working...
                    X