Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I survived my first fall

Hi all,
    I survived my first fall and I wasn't even skating. I was on my way to skating and missed a step on our brick walkway. I was turning my head to say goodbye to my husband, twisted my ankle and went sprawling. The only thing that hurts is my ankle and not so bad that I couldn't continue on my way. No pain skating. I guess my fusion is solid. Yay!

Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Oh my goodness. Thank heavens you are ok! That is a good testament to this process. I am only 2 months out and have a completely irrational fear of falling so I appreciate your posting this result.
    Paula

June 15, 2009 Posterior Fusion T4-L5
    Thorasic: 48° --> 8°
    Lumbar: 65° --> 8°
    Dr. Von Rueden Austin, Texas

Comment

Hi Sally

That first fall is scary. My surgeon explained that we can absorb falls from a standing position. Any falls or crashes that involve speed or height are dangerous.

Ive mentioned step stools in the past, about how dangerous they really are. Its just best to stay off of them. Ladders also. I will never climb a ladder again. Its not worth it. Im also very careful on stairs.

Its nice to know that you can fall and not have to "walk on eggshells" forever.....its part of the recovery process.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Been there, done that -- it seems that everyone has to get that one good fall out of the way!! So glad you're okay.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I'm with you, Ed. . .stairs are treacherous, for anyone. My husband fell down our flight of stairs 3 years ago - it was just before midnight, and he got up and started to the 1st floor, to check on the teenagers. . .he must not have been fully awake, and he went tumbling down, landing on the brick in the foyer, smashing his face into the jagged brick at the edge where the brick meets the step to the sunken living room, and then sliding into the living room. He was unconscious, had a concussion, his lip was slit, he had a gash in his forehead, nose broken in 2 places, elbow shattered (3 surgeries to repair it). . .and everything else had assorted abrasions. ..

One of the insurance agents said that falls on stairs are one of the main non-disease-related causes of death.

I am supercautious on stairs now. . .because that sure didn't look like it was anything that I'd want to experience.

I'm glad you're okay, Sally!
          Last edited by mgs; 08-22-2009, 08:24 AM.
          Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
          Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
          Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Good for you Sally, I'm glad you're ok!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

So glad you're ok, Sally. I'm sure it was pretty scary while it was happening... Hopefully the soreness is gone soon. BTW-- for those who mentioned ladders, etc. My surgeon said NO Ladders! Now I have a valid excuse for not doing some things I used to at school... (hanging posters, etc.) But I probably won't like it when (IF) I want to do some painting here at home or my kids' homes.
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks for all your reply's everyone. My ankle soreness is completely gone today and never caused me to have to sit down on life. Actually I didn't get scared because it happened so fast. I was surprised I didn't even get my white cut offs scraped or dirty. It is good to have that first fall over with, not that I want any more of them, because now I know I won't really hurt my back if I do fall again.
                Sally
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Glad you came out OK despite the fall. Oh, dear, are we all going to have to have one?? Ha. That is always my greatest fear. Stumbled on a walk yesterday which once again refocused my mind to be extra vigilant. Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

my big fear

I'm glad you are ok! That is my fear since surgery, that I will fall down. I did do the slide half way down the stairs a few days ago which twisted my back muscles but haven't had the "actual fall" yet. Maybe this winter ;-(
                    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Hi Sally,

So glad to hear that you were not injured from your first (and hopefully last) fall. I bet being in such terrific physical shape, in addition to the strength of your fusion, must have protected you from a serious injury. Very impressive that you did not get your white cut offs dirty! You must have popped up pretty quickly!

Take care,
                      Linda
                      Linda
                      Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
                      S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
                      Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
                      Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

I'm impressed that you went on with your plan to skate after falling. Hopefully you did not feel too sore from it later. So glad you are okay.
                        -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
                        Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
                        Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
                        Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Comment

Working...
                        X