I've had a revelation recently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've had a revelation recently

that since my muscles in the upper left shoulder blade area get all spasmed up mostly during the week, it's related to the stress of my job. I'm hating my job lately so this makes sense. I have to try to calm myself down a little. I seem to be taking one muscle relaxant before bed Monday through Friday night. It does help.

On a side note, I couldn't believe that I was able to get down on the kitchen floor last night and play JACKS with my 10 year old daughter. This is a new game to her that she thinks is a riot, and she can't believe how good I am at it. I'm just amazed that I can manage with the back. It's such fun to play a non high tech game with my kid and have her enjoy it!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Debbei,

I agree stress can manifest as physical symptoms for sure. In grad school, I had trench mouth which as I understand it is a really bad case of gingivitis. I was brushing my teeth and all but it was the stress.

Cool about playing jacks! You have your life back!
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

WOW...let me tell you about what stress can do to a person...i worked at a vey very stressful job......& my blood pressure went to 200/100!!! my doctor said i would have a stroke & needed to retire!!! PLUS, on the weekends & vacations, my pressure was normal, & i was known by my doctors for having LOW blood pressure!! mind you, i loved my job...it's just that the stress was killing me! sure enuf, retired now, my daily pressure is normal to low..ALL the time...

here's the crazy part...my general doctor, whom i adored, said "traditional medicine" taught doctors that high blood pressure is not "situational" ???!!! how could anyone, M.D. or not, think that your situation couldnt cause your blood pressure to go crazy???

anyway, my G.P. has since closed her practice...she was relatively young, & i think maybe stress caused her to need a break!!!!

i think we all underestimate what stress does to us...& as my rheumatologist always says..."stress kills"

so please...beware of what stress is doing to bodies & backs....& try to find a way to relax..(easier said than done, i know)...

jess

Comment

Hi Debbei, I think I can relate to what you are talking about but in a different way. No stress at work for the most part, but when I am making the commute to and from work is where I get my stress. It's only about a 30 minute trip each way, but by the time I get to the office or return home in the afternoon my right leg and neck are hurting. I know the neck hurts just from the stress of driving, after awhile when I get to work the pains go away.

I do miss getting down on the floor, don't know that I ever will be able to again, hopefully physical therapy will help.
        Dolores A
        June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
        June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
        Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
        NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Little things

Jacks with your 10 year old daughter on the floor no less. That's great.
          I haven't had my surgery yet but know that those little things must mean a lot!
          Diagnosed age 10. No treatment
          Thoracic curve:?
          Lumbar curve: 50 degrees with rotation
          Surgery Sept.16,2009
          Fusion T-11 to pelvis
          Dr. Frank Rand
          New England Baptist Hospital

Comment

Thanks all; this week was a little better. I'm really trying not to let things get to me so much, after all it's just a stupid job, right?

The jacks thing was great fun. My daughter is so impressed that I am such an accomplished jacks player. It's from all those years of practice!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Debbe- sounds like you are doing super! I absolutely loved playing jacks as a kid, so your post made me smile big time. I tried to teach a bunch of kids how to play a few years back (for inside recess) and thought how today's kids just don't know what they're missing out on if they don't know how to play a good game of jacks, or hopscotch, or advanced jump rope... (like double dutch)... It takes very little money to provide hours of entertainment.

Sorry about the stress with the job. It sounds like you have a plan that can work, though. Find more things to enjoy and maybe it can counterbalance the stress.
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
              X