Odd Question for those who have had surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Question for those who have had surgery

Do any of you that have had surgery take any thyroid medications? I have always been told by my doctor that I should not take other medications or eat within 1 hour of taking my thyroid medicine. I am really concerned about this for after my surgery and needing to take pain meds. Since I do not have a thyroid anymore I have to insure that my medication is taken correctly everyday to avoid any troubles. I am scheduled to have my surgery on November 11.
    Diagnosed @ at of 11
    Muscle Stimulator for 1 year
    Milwaukee Brace from 1982-1987 47* (center curve)
    (was told would never get worse)
    Surgery November 11, 2009
    Fused T6-T12
    Pre Op 25* - 54* - 40*
    Post Op 24* - 33* - 21*

I am a thyroid cancer survivor and don't have a thyroid. My medication was not a problem for either of my surgeries. I took my pill (not water) the morning of my surgery and every morning I would ask for it, before I ordered my breakfast. Not a problem! I wasn't on oral medication until Day 5 of the hospitalization, and went home on Day 8. You (or a family member) can make sure they understand when you take the thryroid medication, and they'll work around it.

I'll be thinking of you on your big day. Remember, one day at a time!
    Lesley
    Last edited by lapieper; 08-14-2009, 02:22 PM.
    Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
    Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
    T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
    Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
    Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
    Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
    Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
    Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
    Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Originally posted by loris View Post
      Do any of you that have had surgery take any thyroid medications? I have always been told by my doctor that I should not take other medications or eat within 1 hour of taking my thyroid medicine. I am really concerned about this for after my surgery and needing to take pain meds. Since I do not have a thyroid anymore I have to insure that my medication is taken correctly everyday to avoid any troubles. I am scheduled to have my surgery on November 11.
      Hi Loris...

I've been on thyroid medication for over 30 years, and have never been told that I shouldn't eat or take other medication within an hour of taking the thyroid medication. And, it's not noted on the bottle. I wondering if you take a different med. I'm on Levoxyl.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Loris
        I, too, have been on thyroid meds for 30 years (since i was 31 yrs old) & was never told to take it with or without food...or even time of day, tho they said to take it same time every day....so i dont think it will be a problem for you...

best of luck
        jess

Comment

I'm quite surprised at how many Scoli patients have thyroid problems. I'm wondering what sort of thyroid problems? I have Graves Disease but have never had treatment, because just after diagnosis I was told I was in remission. Just had my latest blood test and get the results Monday. Anyone else have Graves Disease?
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Graves disease

I have Graves disease. It was diagnosed in 91 and I had radiation treatment which diminished the size of my thyroid so that I have taken a thyroid supplement since then. I thought Graves was fairly rare so it is interesting to find other scoli patients have it too.

I take levoxyl (sp?) and have been told not to eat or take other medication at the same time. This was a bit of a problem for me in the hospital because the nurse always brought all my morning meds at the same time. When I asked, she said that was the only way the pharmacy would dispense my morning meds. I got around this by having my husband bring in my supply from home so that I could take it about and hour before the nurse would bring everything else. Then I just explained I had already taken my thyroid.

Sheri
            At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
            Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
            Excellent correction

Comment

Thanks for replying Sheri. I have been having a few symptoms again so I'm thinking I may be out of remission. I was wondering if you'd mind telling me a little about your radiation treatment? My email address is topsi4@optusnet.com.au, to save overtaking this thread.

Comment

I've taken thyroid too for about the last 20 years. I wasn't told about the hour wait however. Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi, I have had Graves disease for about 15 years Jen, and had my thyroid removed about 4 years ago. I have been on medication for both low thyroid and over active thyroid and have never been told not to take any other medication with it, or not to eat for an hour, must be just difference types of medication. Jen am sending to an email. Strange tho we area all around the same age I think, and have had scoliosis and have had our thyroids out of have problems,mmm bit weird, but then again probably no connection.
                  Macky
                  Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
                  Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

Thyroid disorders are pretty common in the general public. Ask a dozen of your friends, and I think you'll find at least 1 or 2.

--Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I was just diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. They put me on medication and the pharmacist also told me not to eat or drink after taking and that it is best to take in the morning on an empty stomach. I'm wondering if this was caused by my surgery in April?

Always Smilin'
                      Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
                      pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
                      pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
                      right thoracic 57
                      lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
                      revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
                      unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Hi Lorraine, your email has not landed. Not sure if you've sent it yet though!

Comment

I also have graves disease and took the medication for about a year and was then told I was in remission. That was about 5 years ago, At the time I would get blood tests done every 3 months but it has now been at least 2 1/2 years since the last blood test and I feel fine.
                          Patty 51 years old
                          Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                          Posterior T3- L4
                          Pre surgery curves
                          T-53degrees
                          L-38degrees
                          and a severe side shift to the right.
                          Post surgery curves
                          Less than 10 degrees
                          Surgery April, 2006
                          C4 - C6

Comment

That's good to hear Patty. My doc was unavailable today so I'm still waiting on my last test result. I'm having them every 3 months at present then go to 6 monthly then yearly, so long as I stay in remission. So far no medication has been given. It's amazing how common this is.

Comment

Thank you all for the responses. I do find it interesting that so many are on thyroid meds and have been told different things. I just recently switched from Synthroid to Levoxyl and my bottle even says to take 1 hour before or 2-3 hours after a meal.
                              Diagnosed @ at of 11
                              Muscle Stimulator for 1 year
                              Milwaukee Brace from 1982-1987 47* (center curve)
                              (was told would never get worse)
                              Surgery November 11, 2009
                              Fused T6-T12
                              Pre Op 25* - 54* - 40*
                              Post Op 24* - 33* - 21*

Comment

Working...
                              X