Itching or hurting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Itching or hurting!

I just can't figure out my upper shoulder blade area. Just this one area. The skin is still numb up there, but lately, it's either been itching like MAD or aching. Right now I'm trying to restrain myself from scratching myself raw. It's like it itches underneath the skin, because when I scratch, I can't feel it. ARGH!!!

If someone else were awake right now I'd have them rub it with some BioFreeze I have. Maybe I'll try laying on my cold pad instead.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Hope the cold pad works Debbe!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

hey deb, I know you had your surgery last October, but is that area still numb? I have the same thing going on, it's really strange though, I feel the itch but not the back. When my husband or someone else scratches it for me I don't even feel them touching me. I think your right, it must be coming from under the numb area way under the skin. I've heard that some parts of the back will be numb for at least a year or more! Hope your feeling better this morning.
      Dolores A
      June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
      June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
      Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
      NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

I'm over a year PO and still have the itching and hurting sensations in my upper right shoulder blade area. But when I try to scratch it I actually feel it more on the left side. Weird stuff goes on with our nerves. I would be nice if it ever improves cause it can drive you bonkers at times.
        2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
        surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
        Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
        5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
        5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
        6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
        (left open with just clear dressing)
        6/6/08 recleaned and closed
        3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

My daughter and I both have spots like that. Some is from irritation to the nerve during surgery and some is from nerve regrowth. Itching is a form of pain and putting cold on it should releive the itching for a short time. The itching will come and go. I have learned to ignore it.
          T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
          2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
          3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
          Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow2010 View Post
            My daughter and I both have spots like that. Some is from irritation to the nerve during surgery and some is from nerve regrowth. Itching is a form of pain and putting cold on it should releive the itching for a short time. The itching will come and go. I have learned to ignore it.

I TRY to ignore it best I can, but sometimes it gets the best of me. Using the cold pad from the freezer last night helped me ignore it long enough to go to sleep. It's just about a 3 square inch area on the back, but BOY does it drive me bonkers!

Comment

did you try benedryl?

Comment

Originally posted by PNUTTRO View Post
                did you try benedryl?
                That's a thought--but only for night time. Benedryl makes me forget the English language.

Comment

Debbe

This stuff will pass. I experienced major improvements from month 9 to 15.

I'm still a little numb up high.(and low) My itching stopped eventually.

Hang in there.
                  Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I feel your itch Debbe! I'm sorry for you but also glad to know it's not just me. I have those same itchy feelings and I know they are there but when I try to scratch my skin is numb and it does nothing to relieve the itch. I tried to explain this to my husband who just looked baffled. Guess you have to experience it for it to make sense. I try to ignore it as much as I can and think positively about the fact that maybe nerves are waking up back there.

I have also been experiencing the bee stinging sensations which vary by degrees - bee stings are okay and I usually say 'yea!' but when they become wasp or bumblebee stings it's not that much fun. Luckily those are few and far between and none of them last very long so I'm good. I haven't taken anything for the nerve pains but I have a follow-up appt. tomorrow so I might ask about it just in case it gets bad at some point.

I am now officially off all pain narcotics. I do however take Aleve and some extra-strength tylenol when I need it which is still every day at this point in my recovery, but maybe some day I won't even need those!
                    Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
                    Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
                    Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
                    A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
                    Achieved +70% Correction
                    Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
                    New Spine 03/19/2009
                    New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Scratchy Back

Debbe, I have that too! The upper right shoulder blade area to just below my shoulder. Still numb. I get the itchies too sometimes. The other day I had a roll of paper towels in my hand and put it back there to scratch and boy did that feel good! If I ask my hubby to scratch it for me , his scratching will hurt even though he's not scratching hard. But at the same time, it's numb feelling. Does that make any sense? It's just weird. Glad to know I'm not the only one rubbing my back on anything that will sit still!
                      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Originally posted by doodie View Post
                        I feel your itch Debbe! I'm sorry for you but also glad to know it's not just me. I have those same itchy feelings and I know they are there but when I try to scratch my skin is numb and it does nothing to relieve the itch. I tried to explain this to my husband who just looked baffled. Guess you have to experience it for it to make sense. I try to ignore it as much as I can and think positively about the fact that maybe nerves are waking up back there.

I have also been experiencing the bee stinging sensations which vary by degrees - bee stings are okay and I usually say 'yea!' but when they become wasp or bumblebee stings it's not that much fun. Luckily those are few and far between and none of them last very long so I'm good. I haven't taken anything for the nerve pains but I have a follow-up appt. tomorrow so I might ask about it just in case it gets bad at some point.

I am now officially off all pain narcotics. I do however take Aleve and some extra-strength tylenol when I need it which is still every day at this point in my recovery, but maybe some day I won't even need those!
                        Julie,

I'm 5 months ahead of you in recovery. I used to get those bee sting feeling all the time, but that's pretty much stopped now. I didn't even realize it until I read your post. So hopefully, like Ed said, the itching/hurting will go away on it's own too!

I never took any meds for nerve pain.

Comment

Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
                          Debbe, I have that too! The upper right shoulder blade area to just below my shoulder. Still numb. I get the itchies too sometimes. The other day I had a roll of paper towels in my hand and put it back there to scratch and boy did that feel good! If I ask my hubby to scratch it for me , his scratching will hurt even though he's not scratching hard. But at the same time, it's numb feelling. Does that make any sense? It's just weird. Glad to know I'm not the only one rubbing my back on anything that will sit still!
                          Kristy,

My PT suggested putting a tennis ball on a string, holding it behind my back next to a wall and rubbing where it hurts around the shoulder blade area. I haven't tried it yet, but I will. Kind of sounds like a bear rubbing on a tree, doesn't it?

Last night when I had my husband rubbing/itching back there I told him it "HITCHES". That's my new word for the week.

Comment

Itchies

Debbe,
                            LOL, I sometimes find myself rubbing against the wall like a horse or a cow!! Whatever, works I say.............
                            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

If the bear-on-the-tree thing helps, maybe a Theracane would be useful for that and any other hard to reach spots...

Comment

Working...
                              X