PDA

View Full Version : Itching or hurting!

debbei
08-13-2009, 10:18 PM
I just can't figure out my upper shoulder blade area. Just this one area. The skin is still numb up there, but lately, it's either been itching like MAD or aching. Right now I'm trying to restrain myself from scratching myself raw. It's like it itches underneath the skin, because when I scratch, I can't feel it. ARGH!!!

If someone else were awake right now I'd have them rub it with some BioFreeze I have. Maybe I'll try laying on my cold pad instead.

JenniferG
08-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Hope the cold pad works Debbe!

dolores a
08-14-2009, 07:45 AM
hey deb, I know you had your surgery last October, but is that area still numb? I have the same thing going on, it's really strange though, I feel the itch but not the back. When my husband or someone else scratches it for me I don't even feel them touching me. I think your right, it must be coming from under the numb area way under the skin. I've heard that some parts of the back will be numb for at least a year or more! Hope your feeling better this morning.

Sharshe
08-14-2009, 08:13 AM
I'm over a year PO and still have the itching and hurting sensations in my upper right shoulder blade area. But when I try to scratch it I actually feel it more on the left side. Weird stuff goes on with our nerves. I would be nice if it ever improves cause it can drive you bonkers at times.

rainbow2010
08-14-2009, 08:54 AM
My daughter and I both have spots like that. Some is from irritation to the nerve during surgery and some is from nerve regrowth. Itching is a form of pain and putting cold on it should releive the itching for a short time. The itching will come and go. I have learned to ignore it.

debbei
08-14-2009, 06:45 PM
My daughter and I both have spots like that. Some is from irritation to the nerve during surgery and some is from nerve regrowth. Itching is a form of pain and putting cold on it should releive the itching for a short time. The itching will come and go. I have learned to ignore it.

I TRY to ignore it best I can, but sometimes it gets the best of me. Using the cold pad from the freezer last night helped me ignore it long enough to go to sleep. It's just about a 3 square inch area on the back, but BOY does it drive me bonkers!

PNUTTRO
08-14-2009, 08:12 PM
did you try benedryl?

debbei
08-14-2009, 08:22 PM
did you try benedryl?

That's a thought--but only for night time. Benedryl makes me forget the English language.

titaniumed
08-15-2009, 03:31 AM
Debbe

This stuff will pass. I experienced major improvements from month 9 to 15.

I'm still a little numb up high.(and low) My itching stopped eventually.

Hang in there.
Ed

doodie
08-25-2009, 11:15 AM
I feel your itch Debbe! I'm sorry for you but also glad to know it's not just me. I have those same itchy feelings and I know they are there but when I try to scratch my skin is numb and it does nothing to relieve the itch. I tried to explain this to my husband who just looked baffled. Guess you have to experience it for it to make sense. I try to ignore it as much as I can and think positively about the fact that maybe nerves are waking up back there.

I have also been experiencing the bee stinging sensations which vary by degrees - bee stings are okay and I usually say 'yea!' but when they become wasp or bumblebee stings it's not that much fun. Luckily those are few and far between and none of them last very long so I'm good. I haven't taken anything for the nerve pains but I have a follow-up appt. tomorrow so I might ask about it just in case it gets bad at some point.

I am now officially off all pain narcotics. I do however take Aleve and some extra-strength tylenol when I need it which is still every day at this point in my recovery, but maybe some day I won't even need those! :p

naptown78
08-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Debbe, I have that too! The upper right shoulder blade area to just below my shoulder. Still numb. I get the itchies too sometimes. The other day I had a roll of paper towels in my hand and put it back there to scratch and boy did that feel good! If I ask my hubby to scratch it for me , his scratching will hurt even though he's not scratching hard. But at the same time, it's numb feelling. Does that make any sense? It's just weird. Glad to know I'm not the only one rubbing my back on anything that will sit still!

debbei
08-26-2009, 06:07 AM
I feel your itch Debbe! I'm sorry for you but also glad to know it's not just me. I have those same itchy feelings and I know they are there but when I try to scratch my skin is numb and it does nothing to relieve the itch. I tried to explain this to my husband who just looked baffled. Guess you have to experience it for it to make sense. I try to ignore it as much as I can and think positively about the fact that maybe nerves are waking up back there.

I have also been experiencing the bee stinging sensations which vary by degrees - bee stings are okay and I usually say 'yea!' but when they become wasp or bumblebee stings it's not that much fun. Luckily those are few and far between and none of them last very long so I'm good. I haven't taken anything for the nerve pains but I have a follow-up appt. tomorrow so I might ask about it just in case it gets bad at some point.

I am now officially off all pain narcotics. I do however take Aleve and some extra-strength tylenol when I need it which is still every day at this point in my recovery, but maybe some day I won't even need those! :p

Julie,

I'm 5 months ahead of you in recovery. I used to get those bee sting feeling all the time, but that's pretty much stopped now. I didn't even realize it until I read your post. So hopefully, like Ed said, the itching/hurting will go away on it's own too!

I never took any meds for nerve pain.

debbei
08-26-2009, 06:10 AM
Debbe, I have that too! The upper right shoulder blade area to just below my shoulder. Still numb. I get the itchies too sometimes. The other day I had a roll of paper towels in my hand and put it back there to scratch and boy did that feel good! If I ask my hubby to scratch it for me , his scratching will hurt even though he's not scratching hard. But at the same time, it's numb feelling. Does that make any sense? It's just weird. Glad to know I'm not the only one rubbing my back on anything that will sit still!

Kristy,

My PT suggested putting a tennis ball on a string, holding it behind my back next to a wall and rubbing where it hurts around the shoulder blade area. I haven't tried it yet, but I will. Kind of sounds like a bear rubbing on a tree, doesn't it? :)

Last night when I had my husband rubbing/itching back there I told him it "HITCHES". That's my new word for the week.

naptown78
08-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Debbe,
LOL, I sometimes find myself rubbing against the wall like a horse or a cow!! Whatever, works I say.............

gardenjen
08-28-2009, 08:35 AM
If the bear-on-the-tree thing helps, maybe a Theracane would be useful for that and any other hard to reach spots...

debbei
08-28-2009, 08:40 AM
If the bear-on-the-tree thing helps, maybe a Theracane would be useful for that and any other hard to reach spots...

My physical therapist recommended that I not use the theracane. She said a harder surface that she thinks I should use. Instead, she recommended the tennis ball on a string trick. :)

gardenjen
08-29-2009, 09:29 AM
I can appreciate that. A theracane is definitely harder than a tennis ball. Pain management is a challenge. What works for some, doesn't work for others.