travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• travel

I am taking a small vacation, which involves air travel & a ferry. Although I am supposed to be almost free of my iron maiden brace, I intend to wear it on the plane and on the ferry. We are going to St. John to do some snorkeling (if the weather permits). I am nervous about the whole thing but especially about getting my fins on and getting into the water with a back that doesn't move. Snorkeling is one of my favorite things to do so I am looking forward to it.
    avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

I can't imagine how hot it will be in your brace in the tropics! I understand how you feel about it. Once I got used to my post-op brace, I felt it was sort of a shield. When I was told it was OK to start weaning from it, I was nervous. But after just a few outings without it, I was completely comfortable. You might want to try going without it in public a bit, to see if you can avoid having to wear it and/or schlep it on vacation.

I suspect that getting in and out of the boat will feel awkward. It does for me. Just be careful doing it if there are big waves which can throw you off balance. I think you'll find that to bring your legs up and over the side, you'll have to lean back, which definitely puts you off center.

One way or the other, I'm sure you'll make it work. Enjoy the trip!

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

St John.

New Brunswick or US Virgin Islands?

Big difference in ocean conditions.
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Avis,
        The trip sounds like fun. I'm so glad you are at a point where you can travel. Can your hubby help you with the fins? Actually you should be able to do it yourself. Have a wonderful time.
        Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Have a great time Avis. After wearing the brace, I think floating in the water should be fabulous.

I'm off in a week too, also hoping to do some snorkelling. Sooo looking forward to it. It's been Winter here since my surgery, can't wait to throw off some layers, feel the sun and warmth and get into the water. See my surgeon on Wednesday to find out exactly what I can and can't do, and more importantly, find out if I'm fusing. The final hurdle.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Please let us know how the traveling goes. The snorkeling as well. Just be careful.
            Paula

June 15, 2009 Posterior Fusion T4-L5
            Thorasic: 48° --> 8°
            Lumbar: 65° --> 8°
            Dr. Von Rueden Austin, Texas

Comment

well, i only used the brace while driving. anyone who has been to st. john in the USVI knows what the roads are like there. At any given moment donkeys, goats, pigs or cows can just show up on the road and wham you have to stop quite suddenly. i can't bend very well and I really hope it improves. I can put on my left fin or sock but I cannot bend to get the right foot on. my husband had to help me with that. I got real tired real quickly but it was still fantastic to snorkle and see the fish. i also did an hour of aerobics in the pool with a fantastic elderly Asian woman. If I had half the energy this woman had I would be ecstatic. Since having my surgery, i drop everything and cannot keep anything in my hands. It's unbelievable. anyone else develop dropsy?
              avis
              Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

YES! I have had dropsy since my surgery too and have yet to see anyone else post about it. Still have it, though not as bad as before.
                Chris
                A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Just something to think about - do we actually drop things more now or do we just seem more aware of it now as it's something we previously took for granted? I'm not sure
                  Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
                  46° curve
                  Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Comment

Ever since my surgery, I refer to myself as butter-fingers. I don't know what that's all about. I wasn't like this prior. Hopefully it will improve.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Glad to hear it went well for you! I also can't manage to get things done with my right foot-- I think it's my right hip's fault (ha ha!) because I can't get that leg to bend and get up as well as I do my left. And I never could cross my right leg over my left -- always did it the other way, for all my adult life Part of being slightly out of kilter, I guess. So at over 2 years post-op I still use my sock aid (for both feet) and cannot tie shoes, although I could for my left one. You just adjust. Slip-ons are great, and the sock aid is second-nature to me now. But I understand about being able to do the one fin but not the other...

I am so happy you had a great time!
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Oh, yeah. I was dropping everything. I think my husband thought I did it just to drive him crazy. I'm still doing it but not quite so much. Glad the snorkeling went well! Janet
                        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Avis,

I am in awe that you were able to travel and snorkel at 6 months. You must be half mermaid. Good for you!

Linda
                          Linda
                          Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
                          S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
                          Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
                          Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

I am relieved to see so many people have dropsy not really but you get what I mean. The best was when I visited Dr. Rand and I was telling him about it and then proceeded to drop my soda twice in a row and he picked it up for me while my husband just sat there. I went for it but Dr. Rand stopped me and told me not to bend sideways from a chair. I am back to using my gripper when I can remember to. It's better than standing like a giraffe to pick things up from the floor.
                            avis
                            i am not sure if he said sideways or just picking up from a chair. don't want to put words in his mouth.
                            Last edited by theizzard; 08-24-2009, 05:55 AM.
                            Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Originally posted by theizzard View Post
                              ....I went for it but Dr. Rand stopped me and told me not to bend sideways from a chair.
                              Hmmm...I wonder what's wrong with bending sideways from a chair. I do it from time to time. One case is when I go to buy gas, I have to open the driver's door and side bend a little to reach the lever to unlock the gas tank door.

Another case is if I'm out at a restaurant and I've layed my purse on the floor. If the chair is too high I still can't reach it, I ask whoever I'm there with to please pick up my purse. My male work colleagues say they would never touch any woman's purse, but I'm the only exception.

I keep saying that I want to get a foldable grabber for my car but I never seem to remember.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                              X