Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type of improvement normal?

Greetings,

It's been a while since I've been here. My daughter (11) has been in a Boston Brace for three years now for scoli and spondylethesis (slipped disc). Her curve was 32 when first diagnosed and is now 11 degrees (in brace). The slipped disc is stable--much to the MD's surprise. He mentioned changing her "game plan" since her curve had decreased from 32 to 11. I told him no, if it's working let's not mess with it. But I'm wondering...is this type of improvement normal?

Thanks
    Moxie
    Mom to Beth, 12 years old. On diagnosis: T-32, S-28; T-23 with boston brace. Initially, Beth was diagnosed with a grade 2 spondylethesis. Now--spondylethesis is repaired; she rehabbing it. God has her in His hands. And, she's a GREAT kid.
    [/FONT]

Congrats

My daughter has been in the Boston Brace for only about 3 weeks so I can not answer your question. I hope someone with more experience replies. I just wanted to say congrats and I hope your results ARE normal!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Cat. I know the first few weeks are very rough. I feel for your daughter. Once my daughter got used to the brace she actually liked it because it relieved her back pain. She's fine with in now (most days ) and is very compliant.
      Moxie
      Mom to Beth, 12 years old. On diagnosis: T-32, S-28; T-23 with boston brace. Initially, Beth was diagnosed with a grade 2 spondylethesis. Now--spondylethesis is repaired; she rehabbing it. God has her in His hands. And, she's a GREAT kid.
      [/FONT]

Comment

Hi Moxie, what is your daughter's degree out of brace? It seems like that should be the barometer of whether the plan should change. After getting a full-time brace, my young daughter's curve was 3 degrees in brace, but 35 degrees out of brace at the start...I didn't see that as improvement just a really good bracing job with lots of potential for controlling her curve.
        mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
        Providence night brace, increased to 35*
        Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
        14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
        11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
        Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
        latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
        currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

I don't know because he does not xray out of the brace. That's a good question to ask.
          Moxie
          [/FONT]

Comment

changing game plan...

what does the dr mean by "changing the gameplan"? having her wear the brace fewer hours a day?

Comment

My suggestion would be that, before you make any decisions, you get an out of brace x-ray (she needs to leave the brace off 24-48 hours prior to the x-ray) so you know what her curve is. Maybe she has improved and her time in brace could be reduced.

Good luck
              Last edited by mamandcrm; 08-14-2009, 08:33 AM. Reason: typos
              mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
              Providence night brace, increased to 35*
              Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
              14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
              11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
              Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
              latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
              currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

Originally posted by catinhat95 View Post
                what does the dr mean by "changing the gameplan"? having her wear the brace fewer hours a day?
                I don't know because I very quickly told him, 'no'. Primarily because the brace also supports the slipped disc which is at grade 2...anymore slippage and she'll have to have surgery. Also, the MD was very rushed (we always have a 1 1/2 hour-2 hour wait) this time. Normally, even with the long wait, when he arrives he never makes us feel rushed...not sure what was up the other day.
                Moxie
                [/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                X