Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery on FRIDAY!

Hi!

I haven't made a post on here for quite a bit, but I've been reading other posts for while to gather information and advice for my upcoming surgery.

The weirdest thing about having surgery on FRIDAY is that I just CANNOT imagine it at all! Why is that? Does anyone else feel like this or has anyone felt like this? It's not that I think it's going to go wrong... I just cannot imagine what it will be like and feel like afterward. No matter how many posts I read from other people and their own experiences I will never really know because every situation is different.

I'm 24 years old. I was diagnosed at 16 by a MASSAGE THERAPIST. Believe it or not I was never checked in school or at the doctor! When I did go to see a doctor, they said I was too old to for a brace to be effective. Thoracic curve 53 degrees, Lumbar curve 33 degrees. I don't have too much pain unless I partake in strenuous physical activity such as scrubbing the bathtub (that's the worst!), but I'm constantly UNCOMFORTABLE.

I'm excited about feeling more straight and balanced. Hopefully I'll be a little taller too!

I'm trying to be positive about everything, which I think is really the most important way to prepare for surgery.

This is a great website and I appreciate everyone on here.

Wish me luck on Friday. I'm sure I'll be back on here a lot in the weeks to come!

m i r a h

OH! I almost forgot: I'm getting a thoracic fusion from T4-T12 with bilateral titatium rods and pedicle screws. My surgeon is Dr. David M. Montgomery at William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, MI.
    Last edited by mirah; 08-12-2009, 11:09 AM.
    m i r a h

24 years old

Pre-op Thoracic Curve 53 degrees (dextroconvex)
    Pre-op Lumbar Curve: 33-37 degrees

Surgery: August 14, 2009
    Posterior Spinal Fusion from T3-T11

Surgeon: David M. Montgomery, MD
    William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak MI

Post-op Thoracic Curve: 16 degrees
    Post-op Lumbar: "non-structural and will correct itself over time"

I'll be thinking of you on Fri - and I wish you the best of luck!!

I can relate to what you're feeling. . .my surgery will be 2 weeks from yesterday. Even though I have read so many posts, and learned so much from them, it does seem surreal. I'm here, now, living my normal life, only in high gear - we built a new house, and just listed this one today - so I'm in sorting/pitching/boxing/cleaning overdrive. My son is having his wisdom teeth out on Mon, so I'll be his hovering private duty nurse, pushing the liquids and puddings, keeping up with his icepacks and pain meds. ..and he moves into his dorm 2 days after my surgery, so we're working on buying/organizing his stuff, and another son will be in town for a couple of days to collect his stuff to move into his apt for the coming school year. . .and I'll go from working like Cinderella to BAM!!. .stopped right in my tracks! It doesn't realy compute that this whirlwind I'm in right now is going to come to a screaching halt, for me.
    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
    Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
    Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Good luck Mirah,

I felt like I was walking around in someone else's body for the last few weeks prior to surgery. Good luck with your surgery. Going T4 to T12 sounds like a dream to me; you will have lots of flexibility left. Take care of yourself.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Mirah,

Wishing you a good surgical outcome and an easy, quick and healthy recovery.

I'm just a couple of weeks behind you, so I'll be anxious to read your posts after surgery (when you are able to do so comfortably).

Best to you!
        ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
        Milwaukee brace 1967-1971 -- hated it!
        Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
        Now curve is T38*, L53*
        Surgery scheduled for 9/8/09

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

good luck with you surgery
          Kara
          Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
          Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
          T4-L2
          Before 50T
          After 20T

Comment

Good Luck Friday

I had my surgery 6 weeks ago. I remember the last few weeks before the surgery very well. Like MGS, I just tried to keep busy and get as ready as I could.

No one can tell you exactly what it will be like for you, because everyone is unique. On the other hand, from reading a bunch of posts here, you can get an idea of it more or less.

Luckily you are young. From everything I have read or heard, the whole thing is easier and recovery is much quicker if you have it when you are in your 20's or even 30's.

Before you know it, your surgery will be over with and you will be busy getting stronger. You will be straighter and have a much healthier future in front of you.

You will be in my thoughts on Friday. Be sure to post, or have someone post for you, to let us know how you are doing after your surgery.

Sheri
            At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
            Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
            Excellent correction

Comment

I know how you're feeling. I go into surgery in 9 HOURS! I'll be looking forward to your post-surgery posts too. Good luck!
              Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
              Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
              Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
              Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
              Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

Originally posted by johnsonbunch View Post
                I know how you're feeling. I go into surgery in 9 HOURS! I'll be looking forward to your post-surgery posts too. Good luck!
                Sandy,

Good luck to you too, and I know it's hard, but TRY to get some sleep tonight. Be sure to let us know how you are afterwards.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I was admitted to hospital the night before surgery, presumably because I lived a distance away from the hospital and the early surgery start. They offered me Tamazepan which I took and I got a really good night's sleep. So if you're offered anything like that, I would suggest it's a good time to give in to chemical help. I woke up without any of the fear I'd had for 9 months, just glad the day was finally here.

Good luck to those who're set for surgery in the next couple of days. Looking forward to hearing that your surgery is over and you're doing well!
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Mirah, best of luck to you on your upcoming surgery.
                    Vali
                    44 years young! now 45
                    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                    Post -op - 5 degrees
                    T11 - S1 Posterior
                    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Mirah,

Good luck Friday. It's very hard to imagine what it will be like no matter what you read, no matter how many times you read it. That's exactly how I felt. Even now being 3 1/2 months post op I will stop and think I can't believe it's all over with and that I actually did it. You will be the same way. Everyone's surgeries and recoveries are so different, just expect that once you wake you'll be happy you did! And you will wake up! Don't worry! Ya won't feel great, but you will wake up! Good luck and take care and I will be wishing you a speedy recovery!
                      Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                      50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                      Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                      X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                      Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                      Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                      Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

You go girl! I'm actually jealous - you're closer to feeling better than me. You're closer to be rid of this terrible thing scoliosis than me. And, your pain you know will go away, or at least get better, not like mine.
                        Congrats on bein better soon!
                        Rita Thompson
                        Age 46
                        Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                        Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                        Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                        Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Working...
                        X