Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breathing trouble

I know many in the past have posted issues with breathing but here it goes:

I came home from the hospital having trouble breathing. I had my surgery in April. I have posted about this before but I thought the problem seemed to be the norm....trouble getting deep breaths and sometimes when I try to get a deep breath my breathing comes in very short fast shallow breaths although not as often as in the beginning.

I woke the other night coughing and had to sit up and coughed for a few minutes but notice rattling in the bottom of my left lung. I also felt pain in the bottom of my lung as well. This is the first time I have ever had pain in the front of my chest/lung. Usually I only have pain in my back under my shoulder blade. This is a pain that seems to be what many of you have mentioned as well so I was never really concerned about it. I figured it would run it's course. However, once I heard the rattling, I was concerned that there has been more of a problem than I thought and it has been over looked. I told my surgeon about this problem during for first couple of post op visits and he didn't seem concerned and said it wasn't unusual.

I emailed him today and now he said he didn't think it was related to the surgery but I've felt discomfort since the surgery. He recommended seeing my primary care dr. and getting a referal to a pulmonoligst(?spelling).

Can anyone fill me in on whether or not they went through this and did it pass on it's own or did they have to take any meassures to treat it? Thanks everyone! Hope you are all well!
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

I personally wouldn't mess around with this. My surgeon did run tests when I went in to my first pre-op appt to make sure the lungs were clear because I was having such horrendous chest pains. Sorry, I can't remember exactly what he ordered - but I had to go to the hospital -and had dye injected into me during the procedure. I'm SUCH a space cadet right now that I can't remember anything. Since your surgeon isn't handling this - I WOULD definitely get in to see your primary! I did read my dr. notes - not sure if you had anterior and posterior? - but I noticed that the dr. DID repair my diaphragm (which he NEVER told me). So be safe!

Always Smilin'
    Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
    pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
    pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
    right thoracic 57
    lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
    revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
    unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

I think you should see your primary doctor ASAP. Lungs are nothing to mess with. Rattling scares the crap out of me; I have had it a few times when I had horrible bronchitis (prior to surgery.)

Take care,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I have yet to make an apt. with my primary care dr. Being Military it's easier to call on a Saturday morning and get right in. I did break out my spirometer today and can barely get it to 500....not so good. However, with that said, I have been using my elliptical fine. Makes no sense to me%&&^! I guess with this recovery though it's a good idea to expect the unexpected. I am thinking that I have lost some lung function. My question though is if you do loose lung function from surgery, does it come back with time?
        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Hi Susan,
          I am 2 1/2 yrs post op and I had trouble getting a deep breath after surgery-I don't know if they go back to "normal" or not; I still have days when it is hard for me to take a deep breath. But it isn't something that bothers me, I just notice that if I am really tired and try to exercise that I can't seem to get a deep breath.
          Cathie

Comment

I see my back surgeon on Wed for first time. I've been waiting five months - I'm glad it's actually here (I think). I hope he can figure something to do with me (for me). I'v been having problems breathing for long time - terrible pain all of the time. Just plain worn out and don't feel like I should. So, here is another person with breathing problems. I will know more after Wed.
            Rita Thompson
            Age 46
            Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
            Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
            Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
            Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Good luck Rita. You sound like you've been through the mill. I hope you get relief soon.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
              X