Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling crooked post-op?

Hi all,

While I definitely look straighter and my hips are much more even than before surgery, I still have this crooked feeling around my hips. I have a slight indentation on my left hip but the right side is more smoother. I think this could be contributing. Anyone know how to get rid of this feeling? I'm thinking to try PT.

Thanks
    Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
    46° curve
    Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

hips

Cimbom,

You are 5 days following me post op. I am having the same feeling. My waiste is back I am happy to say but I do feel that my hips want to lean off to the left like they use to. This is something that I just started noticing this week. I have been questioning it. I wonder if:

A. I just need to keep getting stronger and it will come along on it's own or

B. If my surgeon should have anchored my spine to my pelvis.

I am hoping that it's A. I have been so use to standing a certain way for so many years and now that there isn't as much pain I am standing again as I did before. If it's option B than I gues I am in a little bit of trouble. I have had x-rays a few times post op and they have all been the same....all looked very good.

I really think though that it's option A. I have been really focussing on my posture and trying not to lean on one leg more than the other. Have you noticed yourself doing this at all? Most likely, your probably spasmed up or things still need to fall into place some. Good luck. If you start PT let me know what they say or if your body takes care of things on it's own.
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Crooked feeling

Hi there,
      I don't think I have any problem in the area of my hips (other than some pain from now being straightened out!), but my issue is feeling like I'm not standing straight up. I feel a little like I'm hunched a bit, but I agree that maybe once I'm stronger and if I pay more attention to my posture, I'll feel differently.
      Debbie

Comment

Debbie,

I to feel like I am not standing up straight sometimes, rather more of a feeling of leaning forward. I think that will pass as hamstrings and hip flexers stretch out. I know I am pretty tight in those area's and I have always been very flexible there. Good luck and let me know when this begins to pass for you or what you do about it. I can't remember if your in PT yet. Take care of yourself!
        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Nope, not in PT yet. I go back to the surgeon on the 25th for the 2nd post-op visit and he'll probably give me an idea then when I'll be starting PT. I'm 5 weeks post-op now and starting to finally feel better I'm toodling around the house without the walker now, but still use it for outside and for longer distance walking. The back muscles and hip areas really get tired and sore if I try to go longer distances wthout the walker.
          Debbie

Comment

We are just a day apart in surgeries. I also feel very crooked with my left hip. My dr. and PT both told me it just feels strange because I'm not used to being "straight" (not that I am) but that my brain still has to process this all. All I know is that I'm really tired of hip pain when I walk! I also feel as though I'm leaning forward as the day progresses???

Always Smilin'
            Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
            pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
            pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
            right thoracic 57
            lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
            revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
            unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

I have the same thing as the two of you. My surgery was a couple of months after yours. I still feel crooked and by the end of the day I lean more and more over toward my toes. Are you all beginning to get stronger and is this starting to get better? It scares me that it will last forever.
              Paula
              Paula

June 15, 2009 Posterior Fusion T4-L5
              Thorasic: 48° --> 8°
              Lumbar: 65° --> 8°
              Dr. Von Rueden Austin, Texas

Comment

Well before my surgery, my right rib cage was collapsing in on my side and resting on my hip, and it just felt weird and when I would put my hands there, the dip was real deep...I had thorocoplasty to remove the rib hump and I still feel like it feels weird right there, although I know the rib cage is where its supposed to be?
                .: St@ci :.
                28 years old
                Mama to two daughters
                Diagnosed at 12 with double curves.
                No treatment.
                Decided on surgery 16 years later.
                Thoracic curve - 65
                Lumbar curve- 63
                Surgery was on January 15, 2009.
                Fused T2-L3
                No more curves now!

Happier now than ever!
                http://www.lifeiscrooked.blogspot.com

Comment

Leaning forward

It's been only 2 1/2 weeks, but I also feel like I'm leaning a little forward when I walk. And my doctor said he gave me a little extra curve in the small of my back so I wouldn't look so flat. I think maybe it's because I've always been incredibly conscious of my posture and always stood with my chest out, shoulders back. Maybe I feel like I'm leaning forward because I can't arch my back and stand that way anymore.
                  Sandy

Thoracic curve was 55 degrees, now 30
                  Lumbar curve was 68 degrees, now 26
                  Rib rotation was 17 degrees, now 0
                  Degenerated discs and sacral arthritic spurs, plus significant spondylosis
                  Fused 8/13/09 at age 43 from T-9 to pelvis with iliac screws anchoring hardware to the pelvis, plus osteomies by Drs. Anthony Moreno and Geoff Cronen, Tampa, FL

Comment

OK. I leaned forward after my surgery, but it's been 16 months now, and I stand up straight almost all the time. When I get sore (or my muscles get tired), I tend to tilt a little forward. No big deal. BUT I can't stand against a flat surface, with my heels, butt, shoulders and back of my head all touching the wall (like when we measure ourselves). Is that a problem?
                    Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
                    Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
                    T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
                    Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
                    Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
                    Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
                    Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
                    Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
                    Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Originally posted by lapieper View Post
                      OK. I leaned forward after my surgery, but it's been 16 months now, and I stand up straight almost all the time. When I get sore (or my muscles get tired), I tend to tilt a little forward. No big deal. BUT I can't stand against a flat surface, with my heels, butt, shoulders and back of my head all touching the wall (like when we measure ourselves). Is that a problem?
                      Sounds like you don't have enough lordosis or too much kyphosis.

--Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi

I was very glad to read your postings as I also feel i tilt forward when standing and walking, xrays all look pretty good. definatley pain plays a part in how straight i stand.

have another question though.... has anyone had pain after their surgery around their belly button/ stomach area??

Not sure whether this is surgery related or totally unrelated.

thanks and goodluck to everyone in their recovery.
                        Rhonda (kaizan)
                        diagnosed aged 12, boston brace 12 months
                        curve 69 degree T12 to L4.
                        Posterior fusion T4 to L3? with Post/Ant rods. 22 May 09:

Comment

Working...
                        X