Anyone had this prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone had this prob

HI everyone I am just over a year post op, and since about 9am this morning at work, I have not been able to move my head much and have pain in mt right shoulder blade, aswell as along the whole top of my back,

I am hoping I slept funny but I didnt have the pain from first waking up, I had my check up last week and they said the middle of the back was healing but the top wasnt yet, but would do in a month or two probably.

I havent done anything to upset my back, like lifting or bending or anything.

Thank you for any help.

Angela
    Angela, 25 England.
    75 curve top of spine, and getting worse slowly.
    Surgery on 21st May 2008. T3-L4
    Op went well 20ish degree curve now.
    May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Hi Angela...

My neck "goes out" about 3-4 times a year. When it does, I'm usually OK until I've been out of bed for awhile, and then it gradually gets worse over the day, and usually involves pain in my left shoulder blade. I usually apply heat and/or go to the chiropractor.

Hope your pain is short lived.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Angela

Stomach sleeping or sleeping in a wrong position can create problems with the neck and shoulders.

Its so hard to try to control sleeping positions. These things are going to happen..... We just have to get used to it I guess. I haven't gone to see my Chiropractor yet, but I think that its inevitable.My surgeon did clear me to go see my Chiro.

Your neck will heal itself on its own, it will take a few days.
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I wonder if there is anything you can buy to "anchor" yourself into position to stop movement in bed? Might be something to investigate.
        45L/40T
        Surgery 25/1/2010
        Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Jimbo

Yes, there are devices that serve that purpose. They usually incorporate the use of leather and chains.

Ive never thought of anything like that for this specific purpose. Leave it to our blokes "down under" to come up with something worth investigating...........

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
            I wonder if there is anything you can buy to "anchor" yourself into position to stop movement in bed? Might be something to investigate.
            When I moved last Fall, the huge stack of the things that I've tried over the years made me laugh out loud. I had the sleeping bean (a pillow about 6' long). I actually liked this item, but I do a lot of switching from left side to right side during the night. It was impossible to move the pillow without stripping the bed first. I had a set of knee blocks. With this item, one attaches one block to the left knee and one to the right. I can't remember why I didn't like those. I also had two different pillows that were meant to stay between one's knees. In every case, in addition to other problems, I was always able to defeat the system by rolling my top leg over to rest on the bed. I actually think that my new sleeping posture (with my top leg resting on the bed instead of resting on the bottom knee), is worse for my spine health than sleeping on my tummy. One spine surgeon told me that my right upper buttock pain is caused by this sleep posture. I think he's right.

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

My husband wondered if a magnetic mattress would help anchor us? LOL I'm still giggling about his response to the lightening rods. when someone mentioned twister he asked after all players fall down does it then convert to playing pick up stix?

Yes, he has a warped sense of humour. But it's helping me heal!

Lesley
              Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
              Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
              T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
              Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
              Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
              Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
              Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
              Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
              Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

I have slept on my back since my mini fusion in 2005 and I wake up every morning in a real state. Starting at the top I can't move my neck; today it's the right side. The neck pain stays with me all day running from below my scalp to the top of my right shoulder. The weirdest thing I wake up with though are my feet. I cannot move them when I wake up. My ankles are stiff and unbelievably painful as are my toes and the rest of my feet. Fortunately, as I walk the pain goes away as does the stiffness. My neck stays all day as does the pain in both knees. Fortunately, my back is on the mend.
                avis
                1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Sounds like something moved out of place in your neck. I have done that prior to suregery and a few times after. It definitely gets worse through the day. Maybe look into a good chiropractor that you can call when needed!
                  Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                  50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                  Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                  X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                  Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                  Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                  Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X