Back to work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to work!

Good Morning all, it's been awhile since I have posted, but quite honestly I love reading through everyone's progress more as I learn and gain strength from you all. Anyway, my second visit to my surgeon went quite well -- I can now lift 15 lbs. and was told my recent xrays looked fine. Also, the surgeon said that I could return to work, he did suggest going part time for the first couple of weeks, which is what I am doing. I go in every other day for about five hours, handling it pretty well.

I do have a question about appetite and weight loss, before my surgery my I had a pretty healthy appetite -- weighed about 146 lbs (carried it well, wore a size 8). After the surgery, a week later, while still in the hospital, I dropped down to 135 lbs. I've since been weighed at the doctor's office and now weigh 124 lbs. Dropped down to a size 4, before I sit down to eat a meal, I feel starving -- but exactly half way through my meal my appetite shuts off, totally full to the point that my stomach hurts. Of course I spoke with my surgeon about this, his explanation was that my stomach has stretched out longer from the surgery. He said my stomach was being pushed down for so long along with my other organs. It kind of makes sense except that if the stomach is being squished all those years, would'nt that also make me feel full faster also?

Has anyone also experienced this, and how long did it take to put back on some weight?
    Dolores A
    June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
    June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
    Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
    NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Hi Dolores,
    I have not regained the weight i lost in hospital, but haven't lost any either. I also get that feeling of hunger, and then find that i'm not interested half way through, however, i feel that it is due to the discomfort I feel around my anterior incision site (looks like a small caesarean cut), as it becomes painful when it is even slightly stretched.
    Last edited by Vali; 08-07-2009, 06:19 AM. Reason: wrong words
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

I'm pretty small so I was a bit worried about weight loss. I had a reduced appetite for about a month post-op. I ended up losing about 4-5kgs and have since put that weight back on. Protein drinks seem to help if you're worried.
      Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
      46° curve
      Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Comment

Believe it or not it took me almost two years to get my big appetite back. However, I still get full more quickly than I did pre-op. I feel much better eating 4 or 5 small meals a day rather than 3 big ones. I dropped 10 pounds after surgery and have gained about 5 back.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

weight

Dolores,

My appetite is the same. I have lost about 36 pounds so far. the first 2 weeks after surgery I had lost about 25 pounds right out of the gate. I have days where I seem to be very hungry and can eat ok and other days where I could have breakfast and the rest of the day I am just not hungry at all. Prior to surgery I still had baby weight to loose but was working out and wanted to hold on to some of the weight because I knew I would loose a lot after the procedure. I also had a good amount of muscle from body building and I have lost a little bit of that so like you I am a size 4 as well but my weight isn't as low due to the muscle. My legs looked so tiny when I got home but doing the elliptical has gotten them back a little. Even though I haven't been bodybuilding in a few years from the pain I still had the "look" now I don't anymore....at least I don't think so. I know I'll get it back though in due time. I wonder if I will ever compete again. Not sure I would want to but it would be nice to know I could.

My doc had cleared me at 2 months or so to lift up to 25 pounds which I thought was a lot to early. He figured I could start working on the baby! That still is not working out for me even though I have good upper body and leg strength holding a wiggling 24 pound baby isn't working well for recovery. Everytime I try to pick him up which I can only do from a sitting position I end up hurting my back. I weened out of my brace a @ 2 1/2 months but have used it during my elliptical workouts. I gave up the brace today in the hopes my back muscle will start coming back a little quicker.

When going into this adventure the Doc said I would be taking care of Aiden at 6 months by myself no problem. My husband is in the coast Guard and needs to get underway in November....he is home right now missing a patrol. Hopefully I will have my mother in law back in September when my older boys goto school and my husband will have a patrol in October to November. My mother in law had to go home for emergency dental work which was quite extensive and I am hoping she will be ready to come back and help out. She says she will but I would hate for her to come and help when she's not feeling well. However, I would also hate to have my husband miss another patrol. His command has been awesome in understanding my condition but missing another patrol I don't think they would be happy with. With that said they know the doctor has to clear me before they can make him get underway. I could keep him home but it just wouldn't be good. I guess 3 more months can make a big difference.

Well I went on a huge rambling didn't I. Sorry bout' that! Good luck with work and hoep that appetite comes back a little. Try Ensure drinks and protein drinks at least they will help keep some muscle. Take care
          Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
          50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
          Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
          X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
          Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
          Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
          Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Did any of you gain swelling weight? The 2nd week I was in rehab and they weighed me I had gained 20 pounds. I couldn't believe it. This did eventually go away and I lost about 10 more pounds. That is slowly creeping back on. My appetite was low at first but not anymore. Now I'm always starving. For me that 25 pound loss would have been a great thing. Darn! Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Dolores

I lost 40# in 40 days. It was due to the meds. After I quit the meds, I started with the protein smoothies, and gained some of the weight back slowly over a few months.

I lost 18# in 2 months on a gall bladder diet, when I was having my gall stone attacks. The gall stones were most likely formed due to not eating enough fat after my scoli surgery. Its the fat that triggers the release of bile from the gall bladder.The bile breaks down the fat. Its one of the complications of scoli surgery. It happens in approx 10% of us.

My surgeon mentioned that I would have to eat "in moderation" after my gall bladder was removed.
              Approx 5-6 smaller meals per day.

I would suggest to take it easy, you will get fatigued at work for sure. Try not to lose any more weight.

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Janet,

I held a lot of fluid only for a few days after surgery. My Doc said they pumped 17 pints of fluid into me. Yikes! I had my surgery on a Wednesday and they came in Friday evening to measure me for my brace. They brought the brace in on Monday and it was to big. They had to fill the stomach up with padding because it didn't even make contact with the front of the brace. For me I don't anticipate putting weight back on since I had baby weight to loose and am pretty much back to normal. I will however put muscle weight back on someday when I can :O) Can't wait for that day to come!
                Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

I didn't lose a gram from the surgery, but at about 6 weeks I dropped 4 kilos in a week due to withdrawals from meds. I've almost regained that now.

My appetite in the first couple of months was about half what it used to be. Like others, I'd feel hungry then only be able to eat about half my normal meal size.

One thing I've noticed and wondered if others had this as well...after surgery, I got back my old "sway" back but at the same time, my stomach protrudes at the front, an equal amount! Some days I look pregnant. I am hoping this will normalise eventually. One of the questions for my doc. on the 19th.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Susan--They pumped in pints of fluid? That seems weird but I'm sure it's part of the process. I know they gave me 4 units of blood--and 4 a week later--but hadn't heard about the fluid. Interesting. Janet
                    Janet

Comment

fluids

Hi Doodles, I not sure what Susan meant about fluids, but I do know that the whole time I was in the hospital, I had an IV hooked up to me with what they called protein (huge bag with white fluid). I am drinking Carnation Instant Breakfast everyday (Ensure is good too, but very expensive), also having steaks and chicken. The biggest craving I've had since I've been home is fruit to the point that this is all I wanted in the beginning, though I've gotten better in eating other things such as banana splits that I make with the works. My husband was also making me fruit smoothies with yogurt and protein powder, but now he is back to work full time so I'll have to make them myself.
                      Dolores A
                      June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
                      June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
                      Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
                      NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

I haven't had my fusion yet, but I have had 5 other surgeries. I did notice that my appetite was less when I was on narcs.

I've wanted to lose the same 20 lbs since 2000. I'm hoping that this surgery will make it finally happen, as a secondary benefit. Silver lining. ..
                        Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
                        Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
                        Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Dolores--Yes, I remember the big bags of fluid too. Fruit! That's weird. That was my main craving too. If people asked what they could bring me that's what I always suggested. I wish I was just craving fruit now. Janet
                          Janet

Comment

Nuts!

Nuts are great for weight-gain, Dolores. Jam packed with nutrition too. And the oils are good oils.
                            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                            X