Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for all you that have had surgery..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for all you that have had surgery..

Ok so heres my question..I have a short torso, but I am kinda assume its because of my 80 degree scoliosis..After having your surgery did you notice an approvement..Were you taller..I'm hoping that after surgery I will have more tummy room..sorry if this is an odd question but I want kids someday and right now i cant imagine ever carrying a baby in a tiny torso.

27 year old female
    Upper Curve 110 degrees
    Lower Curve 90 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
    Fused T2-Pelvis
    Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Hi megz, as a matter of fact I did notice that I pretty much went back to a more elongated torso, though I always had a long one, the scoliosis with the turning and all, I did get a bit squished if you know what I mean. I had to go shopping today for some jeans and pants for work as I have lost about 23 lbs. after the surgery, I do want to gain back some of the weight though, looking much to skinny. I do believe that because I was straightened out through the torso, I will wear a smaller size anyway. I'm pretty sure that you'll be fine carrying a baby small torso or not, nature has a way of handling it! No question is odd, when is your surgery anyway?
    Dolores A
    June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
    June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
    Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
    NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

My torso was very squished before surgery so it did stretch me out. I gained about 1 1/2 inches in height. That was good since I'd lost at least 2 over the years. I lost a little weight but expect it to come roaring back any day now. Delores--23 pounds!--I'd been told I would lose up to 25 pounds by one doctor. Good thing I knew that wasn't going to happen with my body so I'm not horribly disappointed. Yes, getting stretched out was the best thing of all. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hello Megz,

Before my surgery I had almost an 80 degree curve and had lost about three inches in height, so I was pretty squished between my ribs and my hips. I did get back 1 1/2 inches after the surgery and have a lot more space in my abdomen. While I have not been pregnant I can say that other problems have reduced - digestive problems and menstrual pain were relieved after the surgery.

Hope this helps.

Nora
        T-6 to L-4 Zeilke/CD (Anterior/Posterior) procedures done at age 39in 1988 at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital by Dr. Jean Pierre Farcy.

Comment

My torso was also scrunched up...blechh! And then after the surgery, my torso did stretch out and I had a natural waistline

As for getting taller, I kinda did get taller. At my tallest in life, I was 5'8"...at the appointment before the surgery, I was 5'4" !! I had shrunk 4 inches from the curves progressing! At my 1 month and 6 month check-up, I measured at 5'6"...so I did gain 2 inches from the surgery, but wish I was 5'8" again!!
          .: St@ci :.
          28 years old
          Mama to two daughters
          Diagnosed at 12 with double curves.
          No treatment.
          Decided on surgery 16 years later.
          Thoracic curve - 65
          Lumbar curve- 63
          Surgery was on January 15, 2009.
          Fused T2-L3
          No more curves now!

Happier now than ever!
          http://www.lifeiscrooked.blogspot.com

Comment

Oh and as for carrying a baby in a tiny torso, I carried both my babies to term while my curves were the way they were...like someone said above me, nature will allow your body to carry a baby with scoliosis...your insides get moved around by the scoliosis, and when you get pregnant, they move around some more to make room. I kinda wish I had had the surgery before I had babies though
            .: St@ci :.
            28 years old
            Mama to two daughters
            Diagnosed at 12 with double curves.
            No treatment.
            Decided on surgery 16 years later.
            Thoracic curve - 65
            Lumbar curve- 63
            Surgery was on January 15, 2009.
            Fused T2-L3
            No more curves now!

Happier now than ever!
            http://www.lifeiscrooked.blogspot.com

Comment

Oh yeah -- I got a really nice waistline and elongated torso after my surgery. Too bad nothing could be done for my short legs, though...
              Chris
              A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
              Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
              Post-op curve: 12 degrees
              Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Taller

Hi Megz,
                Yes, I gained back 1 1/2" after my surgery. The weirdest part was that I lost 1" just over the past 1 1/2 year. My curve was progressing that quickly. So, look forward to being taller!!
                Debbie

Comment

Yes, my torso was stretched out an extra 2 inches. My weight is the same as it was pre-op but it's spread over an extra 2 inches so I am still leaner than I was. It's a great feeling (and look) getting back your lost height.

I figure it's the reward for being brave enough to go through this surgery.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

My torso definitely stretched out too. Not sure if I gained any height though which seems strange but I don't mind. I was just under 5'4" before surgery, probably gained an inch or less I assume. Haven't had a chance to properly measure myself
                    Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
                    46° curve
                    Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Comment

I just measured my height to check it against pre-op and it looks like, I have gained 3cm in height. For the last three years, I have always measured 165cm and now its 168cm. Yesterday, I was told by people whom I had not seen in ten weeks (due to being off work) that I now looked a lot taller and it was the best posture they had seen in a long time.
                      Vali
                      44 years young! now 45
                      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                      Post -op - 5 degrees
                      T11 - S1 Posterior
                      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Longer tee shirt messages!

Megz,

I had a similar curve measurement to yours. As time was going on, I became more short waisted and my rib cage was resting on my hip. I looked for tee shirts that had a design close to the neckline because I only had room for one-line messages. I regained three of the four inches I had lost so I can now wear a bill board worth of messages! Realigning my spine also improved my breathing as well as my blood pressure. My 14 year old son and I are now the same height which annoys him, but I know he will quickly be towering over me. I also see dust in more places in my house -- which I conveniently just ignore.

Linda
                        Linda
                        Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
                        S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
                        Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
                        Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Megz,

I definitely got more of my waist line back. It had started to squish up on one side as well. I had a 50 degree lumbar curve...not sure what the thoracis was because that wasn't the main problem. However I had tones of rotation going on along with a 5 centimeter shift to the left. My ribs were on my hip bones, which was a grinding nasty feeling.

I would think with an 80 degree curve you will gain some height for sure :O) I gained 2 inches back. My husband and kids were so surprised when I stood up for the first time. I was soooo happy with that. Where heeled shoes now I feels extremely tall! I love it!

I am also happy to report that I have about 2 inches between my waist and hip bones now. That just started to happen in the past 2 weeks. It's amazing how things don't happen all at once. Good luck!
                          Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                          50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                          Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                          X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                          Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                          Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                          Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

I might have gained an inch in height although I lost 2 1/2 inches. As for my waistline i have noted that my left side has a waistline indentation, whereas my right side is straight as a board all the way down which was how I used to be on both sides when I was younger (and thinner). My doctor who I saw yesterday wasn't in the least bit concerned that I only had half a waist. He just agreed with me and said yes that's what you have. He was so matter of fact about it it just made me laugh. At age 58 I guess I won't be posing for the latest swimsuit magazines and I think he knew that.
                            avis
                            1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                            2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                            2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                            Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Megz

I grew 4 inches after my surgery with 2,70 degree curves. Males have larger vertebrae, so if they get a good correction on you, you might grow about 3 inches.

I other words, a mouse with twin 70 degree curves isn't going to grow 4 inches.....but an elephant would grow a foot or two.

I had quite a few people that couldn't believe their own eyes when suddenly I was taller than them and they had to look up at me. I would just say that they must have had something wrong with them and they were shrinking, and maybe should go and see a Doctor. I have a lot of fun with that.

All my heartburn issues and swallowing problems disappeared after my surgery. The straightening added extra distance and my esophagus no longer hung in my stomach.

Soon, this will be all over. Time passes quickly.......
                              Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X