falling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• falling

Not sure if I posted this over the weekend or not but I have had a little bit of an incident. My husband is re-doing our kitchen floor and last week spent a good portion of the week yelling at me to stay out of the kitchen so I wouldn't trip and fall......and I wasn't even close to falling. At least that's what I thought. Of course, this left me not speaking to him much naturally. So, on Saturday he came home with a wonderful dozen peach colored rozes and 2 yummy peaches to go along with them. Wouldn't ya know it 10 minutes after he had been home what do you think I did? Yup, you probably guessed already....I trip over a piece of cardboard and fell into the door way and at least I was able to hold onto the doorway and not hit the floor. There was no yelling but one big Oh my god! From both of us lol. I must have been weak in the knees from getting flowers lol! I took my extra pain meds and felt ok until Monday and now I feel like I have been hit by a truck! I am so mad at myself and so frustrated that I have had this set back. I know it will pass but I had been doing so good and this is the second incident in the past 2 1/2 weeks that I've had. Maybe I am trying to do to much but I seem to be stumbling a lot and walking to the side a bit. I think my body is still adjusting to it's new straightness. Has anyone gone through this at 3 months or more post op? I feel like I am one big walking accident lately. Just like you said Linda. I have been trying to slow it down but with 3 kids that's sometimes hard to do. Now, I am back to spending quite a bit more time in bed during the day. UGH!!!!!!
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Susan,

I am no expert, but it sure does sound like you are trying to do too much too soon.

Please take it easy (or easier ). Only smooth sailing ahead please!

Hoping this passes quickly for you!
    ValleyGirl - age 54

Diagnosed @ age 11
    Milwaukee brace 1967-1971 -- hated it!
    Never rechecked since 1971 until "tweaked" something in lower back in July 2008.
    Now curve is T38*, L53*
    Surgery scheduled for 9/8/09

Fused T10 - S1 on 9/8/09

Comment

I fell once and almost fell, but caught myself last month (two months post-op) while I was dealing with vertigo. It's scary and left me sore enough to be in bed most of the time for a couple days after the fall, before I was gradually up and around. I did PT for the vertigo which is now under control and I had an exray last week to make sure I didn't cause any real damage since I've had swelling and soreness on my left side (I fell on my left hip) ever since the fall. I think it just takes longer to heal at this point.

As far as the balance part, I certainly can relate. When I walk the track I tend to sway toward the next lane much more often than before surgery. The PT I saw for the vertigo gave me exercises to improve my head/eye movement coordination. She noticed that along with the spinning, but probably not related to it, my eyes were moving just a bit slower than my head. She's not sure, but thought it could have to do with my body adjusting to it's new posture and center of gravity. So I guess it makes sense that our balance is a bit off.

Hope you feel better soon.
      -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
      Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
      Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
      Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Comment

Working...
      X